What new PENN west-coast stuff would you like to see?

tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
All,
What new stuff would you like to see from PENN over the next few years, particularly for west-coasters?
Different models?
Different features?
Specialized items?
Different sizes?
Different colors?
Please post your wants below; but "send me one free" isn't quite it, Ha-Ha.
Steve

Last edited:

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Lefty Baja Specials!!!!!! Or the new line replacing the HN.

More Lefty choices all over.

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
Lower low gear options for fathom and torque star drags. Even if its not economical to produce a 3.6 or a 4.1 gear sets you could always release the plans to a 3rd party vendor.

The 4.9:1 gearing options are a large factor in convincing many of us to buy fathoms and torques.

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
If there was a torque that was sized like an avet mxJ, that would be awesome! Just a little bit taller than the torque 12, but not much wider... Maybe like a 14 size, im not sure how else to describe it... My problem with the 12 is that it gets about 200 yards of 50lb spectra... if we could make that number maybe 250-260, that would be incredible, I'd buy one almost immediately... Big fish killer!

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
a penn "Tranx" or lexa 400, with a clicker. I have sargus which I dont even see on the website. Does penn even make a low profile reel anymore?

I feel like the frame could be designed to get the spool closer to the blank on all of the models. Specifically the FTH25ld2 and trq25n

yrd

BS on no pics ..!.,
Jun 14, 2009
Flux
Name
Ted
Boat
anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
for my wish list, it would be an 8, 10, or 12 size Squall (two speed) with a H: around 6 and an L: around 2.5. Braid capacity about 350 yds. of 50lb and drag somewhere in the 20-30lb range. Generally this would be a smaller lighter model with a higher retrieve rate...(did you say send me one or two?!?)

bufadora

Apr 13, 2011
Santa Cruz
Name
darren gertler
Boat
Sorenson 15 Project
Maybe an odd ball request but I want a new version jigmaster. I fished my last jig master for twenty years. I think it got opened up once. It fished 20lb mono for me up and down the coast. I want the kind of penn real that doesn't have weird graphics that corrode like the newer ones.

In conclusion, do what you did to the 113 baja special but in an jigmaster sized reel! For me most of my big fish are under ten pounds. Just a clean functional reel that can fish most fish and I can loan it to a friend or girl friend.

How does that sound?

PS. 28lbs of drag, 64 inches per crank, single piece of aluminum, butterfly jigs, deep dropping...... Doesn't really affect me most days and I am sure there are lots of other anglers like me. How about a reel with some "lasting power" and versatility.

Reactions: Bigfishhateme

Bigfishhateme

Semper Fi
Feb 7, 2013
Land , Air , and Sea
Name
Sigmund
Boat
"The Sea Monster"
Bring back high speed Jigmaster . I still use my 505, 506 !!!! Purchased in early 80's. I think newbs just getting into fishing would love it. It will last a lifetime, low maintaince.****Steve , like post above said a baby Baja Special in a 3/0 size would be killer!!!,!!!!!*******

Reactions: sierraazuel

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Anything but GOLD! :)

Reactions: Ulua1

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
All,
What new stuff would you like to see from PENN over the next few years, particularly for west-coasters?
Different models?
Different features?
Specialized items?
Different sizes?
Different colors?
Please post your wants below; but "send me one free" isn't quite it, Ha-Ha.
Steve
I wish Penn would just stop making their disposable reels -- the Defiance, etc. Give those reels to Pflueger or Shakespeare and have Penn make only quality reels. The Penn name doesn't mean what it used to.

SlantEyEdTuna

Jan 29, 2007
Lax
Name
John
Boat
Thresher
Baby baja would be nice, and I agree with the no gold. Even black and gold, I like the fathom ss colors better than the 2 speed.

rza007

Iron Sheik
Sep 28, 2004
San Diego
Name
Fish
Boat
Top performing inshore low pro reels at a competitive price.
A line of lures
dont make everything gold n black

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Baby Baja Special in the exact same stainless, chromed brass and black bakelite sideplates crafted by the same tool and die master! Or hell, make it like the new blingy "USA Senators".

Reactions: fishing6297

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
The gaping hole I see in the line up is the $2-300 spinner with superior internals that will be truly reliable for schoolie to larger tuna, YT, WSB anything.

Whenever I get into this conversation anywhere there is just too much of a gap from the SSV to the Torque for people to feel comfortable. They want a better reel but are not ready to take the plunge of $600....The SSV has an awesome drag, we need internals to match and will pay for it.

The line needs a Spheros/Sargosa killer. But not overly sealed. Sealing is completely unnecessary for a boat reel but a more sophisticated sealing of the pinion assembly would be useful (ie Quantum/Fin Nor) to protect those vitals.

This would be the true enthusiast's reel for all of our action from 1-8day range as well as inshore. Popping, surface iron, hard baits, plastic and the surf too.

A reel all the internet sharpies could count on as a "go to" for the money and reliability and recommend to others without reservation. I really think Penn needs this customer to enhance the brand and it will reach more buyers than the fine Torque series.

This would be like a Lethal 100 from Penn (but with Penn quality and only in 5-8000 sizes). ie ~No bigger needed than 400 yards of 60lb braid capable. Gear ratio 5.3:1 or somewhere in the 44+" per crank. Manual Bail only. Stainless pinion and bronze main with full stabilization of the Main Shaft in the rear (ie Torque/Lethal). Slammer Drag.

Longer handles on the Battle 2/Conflict and SSV and this new series too. Just about a centimeter or so. Penn main gears tend to be a little smallish. The longer handles will improve the "free spinning" feel of the reels rather than the bit of start up inertia present.

Last edited:

joel8080

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 14, 2012
Oceanside
Name
Joel Sidney
Boat
27 Blackfin
Baby Baja fantastic and if it had different gear ratios you could chose from or buy that would be HUGE.

joel8080