What make a Yellow Tail a "Home Gaurd"

Mr G

Apr 4, 2012
Cornell / Malibou lake
Name
Guy
Boat
24 Stamas w/ 2006 AQ271c penta 290 duo
Just wondering what make a Yellow Tail a "Home Guard" .. besides the size.
Do tails all migrate, and then when they get to a certain size they make an area home..?
Are there two types of Yellowtails one that migrate in large schools and one that just " home gaurds" and stay..

Last edited:

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
To me a homeguard is a yellow that over winters in the same area and is not migratory.

Reactions: sickcat

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Good question,lol.I guess if you catch them out of season that would be a good way?I used to dive alot and can tell you they are around in winter even if their not chewing but ohnestly i dont know how you could 'prove' anything.I think most islands and structure spots have resident schools personally,great examples would be like farnsworth bank,clemente,la jolla etc,this is not to say resident and migratory dont mix at times but some stick around and some migrate back south IMO.
I was once spearfishing with big jon christenson discussing the same thing and he just looked at me and said ''fish have tails,they swim'' so i guess there really is no definitive answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fish Asassin

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
Homeguard has essentially come to mean any large yellowtail caught near inshore structure.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
The way I always understood it was,the bigger fish with more fat can handle the colder water.The smaller fish can't thus they migrate to follow the warmer water.The bigger fish tend to settle in on structure spots = homegaurds.This is why when you catch fish in the winter they are generally the larger models.This would be in a normal year when the water actually gets cold.
This year with all these fish migrating up here could lead to a lot of homegaurds that will settle in when the water eventually gets cold.We should continue to see stellar YT fishing in the future.

dpflaumer

May 30, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Doug P
Boat
32 Luhrs
I have been told they are the ones that stay in the same place and are big, like this one we got Saturday.

Attachments

Last edited:

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
They know where every piece of junk or rock is to escape and break you off. That's why you fish them with a tight drag to pull them off the bottom before they eat your lunch.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Couple years ago before all this warm water I caught a 32lber just west of Church Rock, 61 degree crappy looking green water in March. IMO that would meet the "homeguard" criteria pretty well.

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
To me, they look different than the migratory one's that start coming down the line on the offshore paddies.
Bigger, more bully looking. Darker. And are usually caught inshore in 15'- 250' of water.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
they have tats and an attitude

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
anything 30 plus fat and healthy . caught anytime of the yr in the zone n w corner that comes out of the canyon to feed maybe once twice a week who knows pushes bait up into or near the kelps edge , and has that certain thump to it when hooked a stronger thump than normal . on a weds in november green water 61 degrees anchored 95 ft water just sitting watching birds and bait 2 pm wind all that they came to me right under the boat waited till they past the boat 20 25 fish in this school some well over 40 pnds just cruzen ten ft under boat . winged greenback instant bendo first fish 34 pnds , threw some bait out . next fish on the tady 45 slow crank 32 pnds nailed me to the rail . that was it tore me up . took me ten fifthteen mins just to get the hook up. 61 yrs old 4 heartattacks 6yrs ago i was done man never forget those homeguards watghing them cruise under the boat fn awesome . that has only happened to me 3 times in 4 yrs . b

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
anything 30 plus fat and healthy . caught anytime of the yr in the zone n w corner that comes out of the canyon to feed maybe once twice a week who knows pushes bait up into or near the kelps edge , and has that certain thump to it when hooked a stronger thump than normal . on a weds in november green water 61 degrees anchored 95 ft water just sitting watching birds and bait 2 pm wind all that they came to me right under the boat waited till they past the boat 20 25 fish in this school some well over 40 pnds just

Hoopnet

<°)))))><
Dec 12, 2013
<°)))))><
Name
<°)))))><
Boat
<°)))))><
Flyline deep in the weeds, get bit, peels line like a mofo, takes you into his living room where he slams the front door shut and refuses to come out of his house, then breaks you off. You go back to the same spot a few more times in the week and same thing happens at the same time no one else is getting bit by any other yellows while soaking bait. I guess then you can kinda "assume" its a big home guard YT and if you land him he'll be a beast 40+er. Just my opinion.

Last edited: