Aliboy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
Been enjoying a discussion on the What Reels thread about lures being used in different areas. Was hijacking the thread though so thought we could start a new one just about lures.
Down here in New Zealand the common lures at the moment are a lot of Pakulas, Bonze, Hooker, Redgill, BlackMagic all from downunder. Then Zukers, Moldcrafts, Barts, Legend, Williamson and a good sprinkling of everything else from around the world.
My goto starting team of lures are -
SC Zuker 5.5 in black/purple
LC Hooker All American in bleeding mackeral
SR Legend Merlin in green/gold
LR Legend Enki in 'Boulder' colors or Pakula med sprocket in lumo
SG Legend Dracula in 'skipper choice' colors or an Ilander in purple/pink
The Hooker All American and the Legend Merlin are generally the hot lures. Interestingly the Hooker AA on the LC used to catch maybe 40% of our fish until we started running a Shotgun lure. Now the Shotgun and Merlin on the SR get a higher % of the fish, although the fish are sometimes raised to the corner lures and then grab the riggers or shotgun as they drop back.

Years ago I got given a bag of around 15 lures by a guy that was going into production. They carry 'car vinyl' skirts which were a hot thing back then. I have run one or two occasionally, but never with any conviction. Just not a fan of how the skirts look even though they swim just fine. Finally got my lure guy to put some new skirts on a couple for me. Sitting here waiting to go to the boat next weekend. Wil give them a good amount of swim time and see what happens.

Zuker 5.5in action on a Stripy. Tagged and ready to release

Last edited:
Reactions: marlineer84

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
MJG Zuker zipper and KOGA GY on the riggers,Mac clones on the flats.Swimmer in the center.Tom

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
My lure mix is constantly changing due to conditions such as wind, water temps, the bait, time of the year, and what the fish are feeding on. I travel to Cabo with 36 lures.

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
I tend to change lures, esp colors depending on the season to some extent. Early season we tend to run a bit more green in the colours as Jack Mackeral are a common food and later season a few more white or orange/brown colours as squid get more common in the diet. Usually only change out one or two lures from our proven pattern though. One thing we do also work with is the distance behind the boat. In calm conditions if the fish aren't biting I sometimes drop all the lures back one wave. Sometimes it makes the difference.
We normally have anything up to 70 lures on the boat.I have around 20 that I commonly use and then two or three of my crew will bring another 10 or 20 each. I think we have gone past 100 lures a couple of times. We can run up to 11 behind the boat, but normally only 4 or 5. I tell the guys that try to set more "you set i'm, you clear i'm, and I will cut them off if I have to chase a fish and they get in the way." I think once we have 5 lures out teh extras don't catch any more fish.

kapnd

Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
I run real big lures for Marlin, and the sizeable commotion created by them definitely interests the Marlin, however I catch most on the smaller lures elsewhere in the spread.
My last two this season have been Blues, and both hit my favorite Ono lure, a Cherry jet in orange/black 7”.
Aliboy, in Marlin tournament fishing, ill run several teasers of three big hookless lures on short hand lines to raise the fish, and hopefully have a live Aku bait that will be deployed when the target fish shows up. The teasers are easy/quick to get out of the way, as they’re not on rods, but cleated to the transom, a portable Aku school!

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
.50BMG CartridgeTrolls. Work like a charm.

CartridgeTrolls.jpg

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
I think its all a matter of geography, on what lures you run who is around making lures in your area. you will find very few charter captains running non Hawaiian lures in Kona, almost no Hawaiian lures in Cabo, and Costa Rica. Moldcraft and Zuker every where because they are cheap and work great. East Coast USA same story. I have a huge mix because we have fished all over and I get guys all the time giving me stuff to fish with. You will run into the same stuff with skirts. A lot more vinyl in Hawaii, no in CR and Cabo.

My starting line up while marlin fishing for Blue and blacks, Joe Yee Super plunger blue green vinyl SC, fathom Marlin Darlin Mahi Colors LC, Marlin Magic Smokey Joe blue Vinyl over green and yellow newels SR, Moldcraft Purple Softhead wide range LR. marlin Magic Baby blue on Stinger. My close 2nd and it would depend on where I am fishing would be Zuker 5.5 moean joe green either corner, also 5.5 in black over purple. Koya Poy Dog SC, Black Bart eluerthra plunder small one log rigger black and green. Aloha Super ninja stinger. I have over 200 lures and I have maybe 10-15 i will run with any constancy. In Costa Rica as the FADs it doesn't matter what you run. so we keep the expensive lure in the boat.

Side note our corners get bite 75% of the time now since we have started running dredges in the spread, rather than 25% of the bites. Does not matter where we fish, even the old school Hawaii lure fisherman are now starting to run them if you are not running them you should be.

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
Haven't started playing with dredges here yet. Have been talking about it though so might be a starter for next season. When we pulled only 4 lures I got around 40% of the fish on the LC and a Hooker lure in red/white/blue. Extremely consistent. Then we added a shotgun lure as well. Now we get most of our fish on the SR with a Legend lure in green/gold and another good % on the Shotgun with almost anything run there. Also probably more fish raised on the SC than the LC now. Whether this is all related to adding a Shotgun lure to the pattern or an overall change in the local bait that the marlin feed on I haven't worked out yet. I don't think our overall catch rate has changed much, but might be up just a tick with the Shotgun added.

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
I run real big lures for Marlin, and the sizeable commotion created by them definitely interests the Marlin, however I catch most on the smaller lures elsewhere in the spread.
My last two this season have been Blues, and both hit my favorite Ono lure, a Cherry jet in orange/black 7”.
Aliboy, in Marlin tournament fishing, ill run several teasers of three big hookless lures on short hand lines to raise the fish, and hopefully have a live Aku bait that will be deployed when the target fish shows up. The teasers are easy/quick to get out of the way, as they’re not on rods, but cleated to the transom, a portable Aku school!
We mostly run what I would call mid size lures. Zuker 5.5 size and maybe a touch smaller. We also run some smaller lures that work as well. That is for our average ~220lb Stripy. If there are a lot of Blues around I may run some larger lures on the corners and put out the 80W's instead of running all 50W's. We do also occasionally run some of the larger Hawaiian lures, Barts, Joe Yee etc, but not so much. There are boats here that do run a lot more of those lures and seem to do just fine as well.
We do sometimes run larger teaser lures and pitch bait to the raised fish. Need to have the right team on board though as not everyone is keen enough to pay the attention required to make that work well. I have a couple of spare 50W's topshotted with 150lb mono and run those through spare positions on my outriggers. They mount on the rail behind my flybridge helm seat and I can tease with excellent visibility while the crew in the cockpit pitch the baits to my instructions. The 50W's are good if you get an aggressive fish that won't release the lure quickly as you have a decent drag system to play with if needed. Had a long tug of war with a large Stripy one day that just didn't want to let go. Funny as hell if you were watching me trying to get that lure out of its mouth so we could pitch a bait.
What sort of hooks are you using for pitch baiting or live baiting? I have been using ringed circle hooks for the past few years and really like the results. Just have to teach the angler/crew to hand feed a lot of line to the fish before slowly lifting the drag. Done properly it is as close to 100% hook up rate as I have achieved with any method.
In your lures do you run single hooks, stiff or swinging etc, or if double hooks at what angle? I run a mix of stiff singles on lighter strike drag and 180 doubles with a swinging rear hook on a heavier strike drag. Still not sure if one is better than the other as the results tend to vary season by season. Should probably switch to all stiff singles but the 180 doubles have been my bread & butter rig for 30 years and it is hard to let it go completely.

FM-Outside

Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat
Anchor Baby
KK-Pono disco ball has gotten us a lot of strikes all over both sides of the baja. we always keep one in the spread but it tends to do best off the rigger. Favorite color is pink and white.

Last edited:

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
Pull squid chains on the corners, run on cord. That 5.5 is a big lure- use 50 pound.

Reactions: Smiler1958

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
The squids chains are a teaser only, with a Moldcraft soft chase bait. I run a variety of pushers short and cupped slants on the riggers. My friends pulled naked ballyhoo last season and did very well. I have not switched to hoo yet.
For those that are not in So Cal, I run smaller lures and lighter tackle. Main line is 30 lb IGFA line class. The Striped Marlin get crazy on the squid chains and ignore the armed lures. We drop back bridle rigged live mackerel and use 30, 16 lb tackle. I want to get one on 12 lb.

Last edited:

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
I usually always have an EAL lure in the spread. I also run a squid daisy chain off the teaser reel most of the time too.

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I am an absolute believer in "right place, right time", all those beautiful colors and designs hanging on tackle store walls are for us, not them. Sales and marketing... not fishing. One of the most successful lures in history is the cedar plug, yea, fish will hit a block of wood. I lived/ fished in St Thomas for 11 years, every time this type of discussion came up on a trip some mate would rig a Budweiser can just to prove the point, we'd hook up if we were in the right place at the right time.
I have my favorites, you all have yours... but none are "best", they just need to either entice or piss off the prey. JMO/ YMMV

Smiler1958

Well-Known "Member"
May 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
Marshall Bubel
Boat
Westerly
The squids chains are a teaser only, with a Moldcraft soft chase bait. I run a variety of pushers short and cupped slants on the riggers. My friends pulled naked ballyhoo last season and did very well. I have not switched to hoo yet.
For those that are not in So Cal, I run smaller lures and lighter tackle. Main line is 30 lb IGFA line class. The Striped Marlin get crazy on the squid chains and ignore the armed lures. We drop back bridle rigged live mackerel and use 30, 16 lb tackle. I want to get one on 12 lb.
Thank you a Bob for the prompt response. The evolution to the chains and dredges here in the SoCal marlin world has been interesting to watch. I find myself kind of missing it (marlin). We’ll see what happens with the BFT this fall but thinking about taking a week or two and focusing on em. Trust all is well with you. Give me call if you’re ever down this way. Very much like to take you to dinner and maybe show you the boat.

Marshall

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
Hi Marshall.
I saw pics of your boat. Very nice. For us, we always fish Marlin first and look for meat fish second. Meaning, pulling a Marlin spread and looking for off shore kelp holding fish. The kelps up my way are barren so that does not work out too good. The big Bluefin does not interest me. Too much expensive tackle and time involved.
Good luck on the water.
Bob

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
I run whatever the boat captain says to run. After all, he most likely spends 300 days a year fishing compared to my 30 or so days a year.

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
I run whatever the boat captain says to run. After all, he most likely spends 300 days a year fishing compared to my 30 or so days a year.
That works when you hire a charter boat. I followed this advice when fishing in Kona. Captain ask, What do you want to fish for? I answer back, it your waters, put out the best spread you have. They are happy to hear that.
Most of these guys on this thread own boats and are looking for information on building a successful spread. Marlin lures are expensive and different lures work in different parts of the world. This thread has input from New Zealand, Hawaii and Southern California.