What knot for 100lb mono/flouro to hook/jig?

jmch75

Almost A Member
Apr 28, 2017
San Diego
Name
Joe Curly
Boat
None
Whether I'm tying mono/flouro to a hook or to the ring of a jig, it's always been a SD Jam knot. Simple, solid, and reliable.

My 1st foray into LR introduced the dropper loop using 60-80lb, which by design, results in a double San Diego to the hook. A bit bulky at 80lb, but still do-able.

Which got me thinking, as at some point I'll need to flyline 100lb or have to work with heavy (100-130lb) mono/flouro to the hook, so wondering if the Double San Diego is the right knot to the hook, or just plain single San Diego is fine? In either case, how many wraps for 100lbs?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
For me, because I tie these knots very sano

2-25lb improved clinch knot. Wraps vary depending on diameter.

30-60lb single san diego. Wraps depend on diameter

60-130lb. What I call a reverse trilene. 2 loops around the eye with a much smaller profile then a Double San Diego. Wraps vary slightly

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Personally my confidence comes from a

283 dock weighed on the 4/0 super mutu straight tie sardine fish, reverse trilene. 130lb Seaguar

Next bite. 298.2 dock weighed on a 5/0 super mutu big greenie. 130lb Seaguar. The 298 was easy the 283 was a devil fish. 298 was the new shogun boat record. The 283 in combination. At that time was the largest brace of YFT ever to come into SD. And on back to back bites to boot. Lottery

But I think (domo) had a brace larger from the islands, before

Then other dudes surpassed

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
100 # premier straight tie. Medium greenie. 220lb on the reverse trilene. I do love this knot

FB_IMG_1620541787016.jpg

Reactions: fishin_kid
Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
Apr 28, 2017
San Diego
Name
Joe Curly
Boat
None
Once the Royal Polaris website comes back online, hopefully the video of John Collins demonstrating the Springer knot will still be there. Small profile, super easy, very strong and reliable.

Thanks. I found the videos on YouTube.

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Everyone will have their personal preference. I fall back on the SD Jam knot even with 150 pound. 4 to 5 wraps...

Reactions: palella09
Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
Whether I'm tying mono/flouro to a hook or to the ring of a jig, it's always been a SD Jam knot. Simple, solid, and reliable.

My 1st foray into LR introduced the dropper loop using 60-80lb, which by design, results in a double San Diego to the hook. A bit bulky at 80lb, but still do-able.

Which got me thinking, as at some point I'll need to flyline 100lb or have to work with heavy (100-130lb) mono/flouro to the hook, so wondering if the Double San Diego is the right knot to the hook, or just plain single San Diego is fine? In either case, how many wraps for 100lbs?
I tie single uni on all my fish up to 300lb thus far. 100lb breaks about 150lb, so the knot is not the reason you'll lose a fish. Knucklehead fishing all spectra next to you is.

Upvote 0

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    Once the Royal Polaris website comes back online, hopefully the video of John Collins demonstrating the Springer knot will still be there. Small profile, super easy, very strong and reliable.
    Fished with John in January.. used this knot for the first time. Now my go to knot... !
    What he doesn’t show you in this video is he burns the tag ends with a lighter like on a crimp to keep it from slipping out.. great idea and great knot...

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Fished with John in January.. used this knot for the first time. Now my go to knot... !
    What he doesn’t show you in this video is he burns the tag ends with a lighter like on a crimp to keep it from slipping out.. great idea and great knot...
    You state he burns the tag ends. First, it appears to be only one tag end; and second, does he leave a long tag end on the knot, or does he cut it off short like most knots; third, if he cuts the tag end short, how does he burn the short tag end without damage to the line or knot? The crimping, the tag end is fairly long and can be burned before the line is fully crimped. I would like to use the Springer knot, but the idea of burning the tag end confuses me some.

Upvote 0

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    You state he burns the tag ends. First, it appears to be only one tag end; and second, does he leave a long tag end on the knot, or does he cut it off short like most knots; third, if he cuts the tag end short, how does he burn the short tag end without damage to the line or knot? The crimping, the tag end is fairly long and can be burned before the line is fully crimped. I would like to use the Springer knot, but the idea of burning the tag end confuses me some.
    He does just like in this video .. hides everything but the little tag and burns the end and mushrooms it out a little..

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    I’d skip the burn. You’re more likely to compromise the line with heat than by gaining any strength or security. Let’s face it, if a knot slips, it’s not a very good one. Same for crimps. A good swage will always be better than relying on a mushroom ended piece of plastic.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Ok. Jeff D taught me. The 2x2 knot to the hook . Which appears to be the springer and a lower profile then reverse trilene. Can be reefed on all day long with a TP connection, proper

More then 1 way to skin a cat. Show me

Upvote 0