What knot do you use for spectra to terminal tackle

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
mostly 40 to 65 lb spectra. Also spectra to 80 lb floro.

r8rs4lf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
FG

tugasangler

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 9, 2016
Virginia
Name
James
Boat
Yankee Capts
I use FG, Bimini to reverse Albright or straight reverse alrlbright depending on what I’m doing .

Bottom fishing : Bimini to reverse Albright
spinning : reverse Albright or FG
Slow jigging : FG knot

Pescador Paul

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
I have not fished a lot with spectra, but I do have one reel I use for deep jigging with 80 lb spectra and a 50 lb fluorocarbon leader. After doing some internet research I settled on the reverse albright. This is easy to tie and makes for a fairly clean connection.

Reactions: Blackfish

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Albright for spectra to 60 fluoro and under. A RP or modified Albright to 80 fluoro.

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
FG to mono or fluorocarbon. The Alberto is easier to tie on a moving boat, but results in a larger knot.

Ten turn modified Uni to swivel or terminal tackle. Make two passes through the eye and ten turns in the knot. Double the line with a Palomar for a simpler knot.

I always add a mono or fluorocarbon leader to my spectra for abrasion resistance and shock strength.

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
John Collins, improved Albright, Alberto, RP knot for line to line. Believe it or not these are all names for the same knot.

7-10 turn uni for terminal tackle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
John Collins, improved Albright, Alberto, RP knot for line to line. Believe it or not these are all names for the same knot.

7-10 turn unit for terminal tackle.
Don't forget the Modified Albright. Not sure the Improved Albright is the same.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Spectra to Terminal Tackle.....Palomar or Double Palomar.

Tom Honaker

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Go on the Vagabond sportfishing website, they demonstrate a knott they use. They fish it up to 80 pound, it's kinda like a double RP knott. It's caught tuna up to 200 pounds. Easy to tie, once youre fairly efficient at it, takes about 15 seconds. Probably good for most fish you will encounter, excluding hurricane bank or puerto Vallarta. Then the FG is likely you're best bet!

Reactions: Cubeye

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Double San Diego Jam with 2 extra half hitches after its cinched down. The only thing I tie straight spectra to is flatfall leaders and I want to make extra double certain there is no slipping.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Go on the Vagabond sportfishing website, they demonstrate a knott they use. They fish it up to 80 pound, it's kinda like a double RP knott. It's caught tuna up to 200 pounds. Easy to tie, once youre fairly efficient at it, takes about 15 seconds. Probably good for most fish you will encounter, excluding hurricane bank or puerto Vallarta. Then the FG is likely you're best bet!
I used to tie a similar knot when Spectra was first introduced to the fishing industry. The Spectra had a Bimini to make a loop and it was tied as a Modified Albright with about 20 turns. Kinda bulky and didn't go through the guides very well. I used to use it to connect Spectra with a long top shot. Maybe 100 yards.

This knot is a little different. I've seen it elsewhere, but can't remember where. Let's call it a Vagabond Knot?

https://www.vagabondsportfishing.com/crew-how-tos.html

WhyMe

Talk shit... Get hit :)
May 12, 2009
San Bernardino California
Name
Jason
Boat
Mako CC
Braid to terminal tackle, I use a San Diego. But i wrap 4 down and 2 up.

Braid to mono, you do what everyone here says to do.......
RP with a half hitch albright looped and gagged over a reverse improved cinch spider hitch and bow tie. Then take scissors, and scratch the tag end to make it curly like a xmas gift. lmao

Merry Xmas everyone!

Reactions: matta57

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
So, what's the difference between the FG and the John Collins knot? I like the John Collins and just learned to tie the FG, but the JC knot is way easier and almost the same profile. So when is one better than the other?

InDeepShip

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2017
Ventura/Vallejo
Name
Adam
Boat
In My Dreams
So, what's the difference between the FG and the John Collins knot? I like the John Collins and just learned to tie the FG, but the JC knot is way easier and almost the same profile. So when is one better than the other?
The FG holds its strength a little better and the profile is smaller when using heavy leader and a night main line

Reactions: Gil Marlin

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
I guess I missed something here, I agree with the John Collins, FG , and thanks so much for sharing Kyle’s knot, for spectra to mono or fluorocarbon But didn’t the title say spectra to terminal tackle? For terminal connection I normally use a SanDiego or double SanDiego, I think Kyle would have said the same.... and walk away with a smile ...always a SanDiego

909MARIO

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 30, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Mario
Boat
CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
Spectra to terminal= improved clinch knot