What Is Your Opinion on This Type of Boat ?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by apogee, Apr 14, 2016.

1. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Way over there on the east coast the sport guys use a different style of vessel for the most part compared to us west coast guys. We like big bait tanks, range and beam. Less center console more cabin for the most part. I keep seeing these "Cigarette" style fishing boats and I like them like the Donzi, Formula, Yellowfin, Contender, Fountain etc. Some of these rigs are over 30' and only carry a beam of 8'4" max which minimizes many of the creature comforts that are associated with vessels of this LOA. I have been contemplating trying out one of these sleds. I am considering a Fountain of Reggie Fountain era. This guy was half flim flam man and half Elvis impersonator in my view who pretty much squandered the company money on offshore racing but built some "beaked" long narrow beamed fishing boats. How do you guys think something like this would fare out here in our neck of the woods?

2. pura vida

pura vida Pura Vida II

Name:
    Gene Miller
    Boat:
    Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
    I bought a large Proline center console and sold it in one month. If you like to travel at night, center consoles just don't work well, and most don't have a head.

3. meandmyself

meandmyself Who knows

Name:
    edgar teixeira
    Boat:
    1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
    its all comfort and fuel costs here, over there its show and go

4. bman440440

bman440440 I am the one who knocks!!!

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ship Show(30' double decker pontoon),Ships&Giggles(32' double decker pontoon)
    I have fished on a 31' contender like the one for sale here on BD in the classifieds... its beam is a little over 9' and it was a awesome fishing platform and had all the creature comforts that you would want... the nice thing was when I was on it the weather/water was snotty and we had a very nice ride at 30+ knots at 1.89 KMPG... we where passing other boats on the way home and we where watching them get beat to death at 20 knots... so as for the OP's question I think that they would be great out here

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  5. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    If you are into "run 'n gun" fishing and can afford $$$$$$$$ for fuel they are hot. I've fished a few in the Caribbean, generally speaking they are very FAST boats. OTOH my neighbor has a 31' Fountain and a 21' Parker, guess which one sits on the dock and which one gets fished? :)

6. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Most of the east coast fishery dont have/use live bait. What ever way you decide to go test drive with the weight of a tank.

Fast boats are great to get you out there in a hurry fish the zone and get back all in the same day.This style works great during the last few seasons with good fishing close by and I have done this plenty the last few years.

However in the past, I have ran all night at low speeds to get to the zone by grey. Fish hard all day, sleep the night (with a watch) and then fish a solid half day the next day before heading in. That style of fishing I prefer more comfort than style.

7. t-runner

t-runner Newbie

Name:
    keven
    Boat:
    257 quest and scarab supersport
    If you want a project i have a 1989 scarab supersport cc, 34 foot. has a little cabin and a head. I never even started to restore it before i found something i liked better. I opted for a wider shorter cruiser with a little more cabin room.

I never ran her but to see it up close and in person it really sinks in, those types of boats are for going FAST thru rough seas. I think they are really cool and if i could have two boats i would get her going.

8. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    I think you guys may be a little outdated in your info.

The current breed of "go fast" center consoles is not knife narrow. They are maybe 6-12" narrower than a comparable walk around, they are very fuel efficient and ride exceptionally well at the speed they were intented to run which is typically 30-40 mph.

Fountain and Donzi boats are absolutely crap. Think flashy, fast, light and poorly constructed with cheap hardware.

The new generation of SeaVee, Invincible, Yellowfin and Contenders are well made, fast and dry. They work just fine out this way except for one thing, going that fast in an open boat is COLD on our coast. That said, I have been running a 32' Andros locally and I don't mind bundling up to run at 40mph while getting 1.65 mpg and not getting a drop of water on the windshield.

In my opinion a walkaround or small flybridge is the most versatile boat for our coast, but if you're a hardcore guy who wants to fish a lot, fish far and get home quick these fast CC's are a great option.

Good luck in your search.

POPEYE-SCOTT, jtw0524 and bman440440 like this.
  9. Paddylure

Paddylure RG

Name:
    Rg
    Boat:
    18' Aluminum Starcraft CC
    Doesn't your bait get beat up at those speeds?

10. knot keely

knot keely Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None (yet)
    If money were no concern, a Freeman 33 pilot house would be the ultimate west coast fishing boat.

JoshuaD likes this.
  11. apogee

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    This is great input. As far as fuel economy 2mpg is about average. Construction wise the Fountains do not use Polyester resin but use Vinyl ester resin which I believe to be superior for boat construction but prohibitive because of cost. Here is a little info on Vinyl ester vs Poly ester:
    Advantages and Disadvantages
    • On a broad scale of viscosity, vinyl esters are midway between polyesters and epoxy resins, before adding styrene. Thinning affects workability and strength - 'thinning' reduced strength but makes it easier to brush or spray.
    • Vinyl esters are more tolerant of stretching than polyesters. This makes them more able to absorb impact without damage. They are also less likely to show stress cracking.
    • Vinyl ester has fewer open sites in its molecular chain. This makes it much more resistant to water penetration ('hydrolysis') which can cause osmotic blistering.
    • Vinyl esters shrink less on curing, which means that 'pre-release' of a laminate from a mold is less significant.
    • The cross bonding of vinyl esters is superior to that of polyesters. This means that vinyl esters bond to core materials much more effectively than polyesters and delamination is less of an issue.
    • Vinyl esters are less sensitive to ambient conditions (temperature and humidity) than are polyesters.
    • Vinyl esters are more expensive than polyesters though careful calculations are required to assess the cost impact for a significant build project such as a luxury yacht. This is because the relative strengths need to be factored in - you can use less vinyl ester to achieve a given strength.
    • Both resins are susceptible to 'chalking' - UV breakdown at the surface - unless an additive is incorporated in the mix.

12. apogee

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    I never was a Cat person unless you were talking power...........

13. apogee

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Interesting view on the Donzi's and the Fountain designs. Reggie Fountain (Elvis) pretty much decimated the company by taking all of the profits and using them for offshore tech. Stepped hulls, glass, cored hulls to get them super strong but yet maintain minimum weight. I personally have a hard time with the beam 8'4" all the way down. Makes me wonder how tender these boat are sitting in a trough...

14. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    I rode in Fountains and Scarabs to 42' in the 80's and I would consider them to be single purpose boats, the newer go fast designs have more efficient hulls with trick ventilation to reduce drag but the basic length to beam issues prevail.

The big Yellowfin CC is awesome, I fished on one a few years ago with triple Verados. It was super fast and fun to fish, but cold days would suck almost as much as the 1mpg fuel burn.

My 260 Shamrock is no speed demon, but it will run 2.5+ mpg at 26-28 mph. The hull is very stable on a drift due to the low dead rise and full keel. Keeping you hands (and wife ;)) warm in the house on cold mornings is a plus. The "down east" style boats have their pitfalls, but it is a solid design in use today by Calvin Beal, and Wesmac Boats

POPEYE-SCOTT likes this.
  15. JoshuaD

JoshuaD Member

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Livingston 155 “Sushi Zone”
    Freeman's are SICK!!! If I had big bucks to spend on a CC, Freeman would be my first choice.
    I don't think they make the pilot house anymore.

tanner.s likes this.