What is your Lingcod Setup?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Efishient, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Efishient

Efishient Newbie

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    I wish
    Going out on the Aloha Spirit for a lingcod special next week (if weather permits) and was just curious what you guys use when targeting lings.

-Rod, reel, line?
    -certain lead heads, swimbaits, jigs?

2. sdrepairman

sdrepairman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    nick
    Boat:
    n/a
    Well a lot of different jigs and lures will work but personally I think live bait is Best.
    I would use a stiffer rod with at least 40 lb test
    The captain and crew will know what has been working best and how much weight you should use. I would bring a lot of different heavy torpedo weights, from 8 to 16 oz
    And good luck

3. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    A 700m with 30 lb is good but you can use what ya got. Heavy iron like Jax jigs I don’t think color matters Lings are mean and bite anything that comes near them regardless if there hungry or not.

Iron Rod and Efishient like this.
  4. Efishient

Efishient Newbie

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    I wish
    Would a tri helix 760 XH and a fathom 25n with 40lb be solid? thats my yoyo setup

Iron Rod likes this.
  5. sdrepairman

sdrepairman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    nick
    Boat:
    n/a
    You should be good with that just make sure your drag is set properly

Efishient likes this.
  6. Utterly Wet

Utterly Wet Missy's Bitch

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Parker 2310
    Line) Braid is your friend here. You want the sensitivity and lack of stretch. I use about a 10' to 15' leader due to the abrasion down in the rocks.
    Reel) What ever you have. I have 2 speed reels but, they aren't necessary and a lot of times I wish for single speed when coming up from 300 feet. The high speed needs more pressure to turn and the low speed takes to long.

Rod) Depends on you. If you have to swing hard when bit then you want a pole with back bone because when you pull hard the fish will pull back hard and try to rock you. If you can remain calm and just start reeling slowly the fish will usually come with you instead of pulling back down. In this case you can use a lighter pole.

Lures) My favorite is an Ahi assult in glow (fish have been hot for the past 3 years with a teaser fly, jig etc. 2 to 3 feet above. When jigging it looks like a fish chasing a bait fish. Yeah, you don't feed in a Lings territory they'll hit it even if they're not hungry. Almost any lure/jig will get lings up there. Swimbaits, Colt Snipers, Tady 4/0, cheap rock fish irons, Shimano Lucanus with single hook.
    No treble hooks. It's much easier to dance a jig out of the rocks with just a single hook.

Bait) Your choice on the boat will probably be frozen squid and sardines. Sardines will get you more lings than the squid. Watch for by catch to use for bait. Sand dabs, Mackeral (filet skin on and cut into 2 to 4" pieces. Same with small rockfish. Lets see the White fish nibble that off. My favorite is baby Octopus bought from local market.
    Tough stuff, then can't pick it off. 3-4 pieces from one baby Octopus. If you can't limit Lings and RGB with 2 octopus then somethings wrong. I use octopus on my iron and teasers for scent and they stay on like glue.

Tip) Hitch hikers are common up there. I've had large lings come up 300 feet to grab onto smaller lings and various rock fish that I was reeling up. I've also had small ones come up to grab a larger one. You'll definitely feel and a lot of times when see this happens. If you happen to get one keep it down about 10-20 feet til you have a gaff available. That Ling won't let go for anything other than bringing it to the surface. I've seen a lot of jackpot lings just swim off because of this.

Hope weather lightens up so you can get out.

oceanski, Cago, geebee and 6 others like this.
  7. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Ask Shawn (Capt) when you get on the boat. He is one of the nicest guys ever and always wants his customers to have a great time.

Hookdown, MRC70, terryc. and 2 others like this.
  8. Utterly Wet

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Parker 2310
    Couldn't agree more. We have our own boat up there and still go out on the party boats just because of the great people. Definitely a class act

Efishient likes this.
  9. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Good advice to just reel slow with no pumping the rod when your bit. Wind into the bite and steady pressure so they don't try and rock you. I use 30 so I can break it when it gets hung up on the bottom. Some kind of big live bait is a big plus,they have big mouths. I'd bet he'll stop on the way out to jig up a tank of mackeral if it's a ling cod trip. Ask the deckhands what's been working too.

shellback, terryc. and Efishient like this.
  10. skipjackrobert

skipjackrobert I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    Damn! All that info for a ling set up! Sounds more technical than tuna fishing...

11. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    My lingcod set up is a Panga...:D

yellowklr, Willdoggy and Efishient like this.
  12. Efishient

Efishient Newbie

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    I wish
    Wow thanks man, more info than i could ask for. Much appreciated

13. Efishient

Efishient Newbie

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    I wish
    Oh trust me I know. I fish that boat quite a bit, and the drive up there is definitely worth it when he's the skipper. One of the most passionate fisherman/captains out there

Utterly Wet and InDeepShip like this.
  14. Utterly Wet

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Parker 2310
    One other reason to slow reel at the beginning is you're fishing in rock cropings, pillars, etc.. When drifting through you will feel lots of line bumps. Be patient and wait til you feel the fish kicking/swimming before going into action. Also fish free spool when drifting so if you snag you can immediately release tension on the line so you may be able to shake it lose. Lings and rock fish will hold onto the bait, even iron long enough for you to tell if it's a fish or if you are going to set on a rock. Very hungry rocks up there. I used to lose a few irons every trip till they taught me this. Now I may lose one every 2-3 trips.

Efishient likes this.
  15. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Anybody use those DIY copper tube jigs? I think they use 3/4" copper tubing.

16. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    While catching rock fish in lingcod grounds wind up slowly... Lot's of times a lingcod will try and eat the rock fish you have hooked. He will keep it in his mouth all the way to the surface where you need to be ready with a gaff!

IMG_20170826_090620824 (1).jpg

Efishient and Utterly Wet like this.
  17. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Yea its alittle bit of a hike but its well worth it

Efishient likes this.
  18. Utterly Wet

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Parker 2310
    Rental rod, mono, beer in hand, nodding off, clueless, can still = jackpot Tuna
    High end equipment, alert, knowledgable. can still = skunked.
    Same with all fishing. Keep it simple or make it technical. Fish the way that gives you the most enjoyment. I like technical, gives me stuff to do if fishing is slow.

Iron Rod and Steve K like this.
  19. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Any old 20-40 lb outfit , braid is a must have with a short top shot of 30 lb mono.........
    I fish them with a dropper loop /Mack, San dab , or octopussy...
    Or , my favorite , slinging iron or a 7 inch plastic ....

Efishient and Utterly Wet like this.
  20. DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan Smarter than I look...

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Somebody Else's
    Late May 5-day on the Shogun, my "ling cod setup" was a $20 blank at the Fred Hall show that Casey wrapped for me with an Andros 5NII and a Williamson Benthos jig. It weighed 23#...
    DSCN0990.JPG
    And you gotta luv the coordinating shorts/rod wrap!