What is your Lingcod Setup?

Efishient

Mar 5, 2018
Torrance, CA
Name
Evan
Boat
I wish
Going out on the Aloha Spirit for a lingcod special next week (if weather permits) and was just curious what you guys use when targeting lings.

-Rod, reel, line?
-certain lead heads, swimbaits, jigs?

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
Well a lot of different jigs and lures will work but personally I think live bait is Best.
I would use a stiffer rod with at least 40 lb test
The captain and crew will know what has been working best and how much weight you should use. I would bring a lot of different heavy torpedo weights, from 8 to 16 oz
And good luck

Upvote 0

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
A 700m with 30 lb is good but you can use what ya got. Heavy iron like Jax jigs I don’t think color matters Lings are mean and bite anything that comes near them regardless if there hungry or not.

Upvote 0

Efishient

Mar 5, 2018
Torrance, CA
Name
Evan
Boat
I wish
A 700m with 30 lb is good but you can use what ya got. Heavy iron like Jax jigs I don’t think color matters Lings are mean and bite anything that comes near them regardless if there hungry or not.
Would a tri helix 760 XH and a fathom 25n with 40lb be solid? thats my yoyo setup

Reactions: Iron Rod
Upvote 0

Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
Jul 7, 2017
Pasadena
Name
Greg
Boat
Parker 2310
Going out on the Aloha Spirit for a lingcod special next week (if weather permits) and was just curious what you guys use when targeting lings.

-Rod, reel, line?
-certain lead heads, swimbaits, jigs?
Line) Braid is your friend here. You want the sensitivity and lack of stretch. I use about a 10' to 15' leader due to the abrasion down in the rocks.
Reel) What ever you have. I have 2 speed reels but, they aren't necessary and a lot of times I wish for single speed when coming up from 300 feet. The high speed needs more pressure to turn and the low speed takes to long.

Rod) Depends on you. If you have to swing hard when bit then you want a pole with back bone because when you pull hard the fish will pull back hard and try to rock you. If you can remain calm and just start reeling slowly the fish will usually come with you instead of pulling back down. In this case you can use a lighter pole.

Lures) My favorite is an Ahi assult in glow (fish have been hot for the past 3 years with a teaser fly, jig etc. 2 to 3 feet above. When jigging it looks like a fish chasing a bait fish. Yeah, you don't feed in a Lings territory they'll hit it even if they're not hungry. Almost any lure/jig will get lings up there. Swimbaits, Colt Snipers, Tady 4/0, cheap rock fish irons, Shimano Lucanus with single hook.
No treble hooks. It's much easier to dance a jig out of the rocks with just a single hook.

Bait) Your choice on the boat will probably be frozen squid and sardines. Sardines will get you more lings than the squid. Watch for by catch to use for bait. Sand dabs, Mackeral (filet skin on and cut into 2 to 4" pieces. Same with small rockfish. Lets see the White fish nibble that off. My favorite is baby Octopus bought from local market.
Tough stuff, then can't pick it off. 3-4 pieces from one baby Octopus. If you can't limit Lings and RGB with 2 octopus then somethings wrong. I use octopus on my iron and teasers for scent and they stay on like glue.

Tip) Hitch hikers are common up there. I've had large lings come up 300 feet to grab onto smaller lings and various rock fish that I was reeling up. I've also had small ones come up to grab a larger one. You'll definitely feel and a lot of times when see this happens. If you happen to get one keep it down about 10-20 feet til you have a gaff available. That Ling won't let go for anything other than bringing it to the surface. I've seen a lot of jackpot lings just swim off because of this.

Hope weather lightens up so you can get out.

Upvote 0

Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
Jul 7, 2017
Pasadena
Name
Greg
Boat
Parker 2310
Ask Shawn (Capt) when you get on the boat. He is one of the nicest guys ever and always wants his customers to have a great time.
Couldn't agree more. We have our own boat up there and still go out on the party boats just because of the great people. Definitely a class act

Reactions: Efishient
Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Good advice to just reel slow with no pumping the rod when your bit. Wind into the bite and steady pressure so they don't try and rock you. I use 30 so I can break it when it gets hung up on the bottom. Some kind of big live bait is a big plus,they have big mouths. I'd bet he'll stop on the way out to jig up a tank of mackeral if it's a ling cod trip. Ask the deckhands what's been working too.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
My lingcod set up is a Panga...:D

Upvote 0

Efishient

Mar 5, 2018
Torrance, CA
Name
Evan
Boat
I wish
Line) Braid is your friend here. You want the sensitivity and lack of stretch. I use about a 10' to 15' leader due to the abrasion down in the rocks.
Reel) What ever you have. I have 2 speed reels but, they aren't necessary and a lot of times I wish for single speed when coming up from 300 feet. The high speed needs more pressure to turn and the low speed takes to long.

Rod) Depends on you. If you have to swing hard when bit then you want a pole with back bone because when you pull hard the fish will pull back hard and try to rock you. If you can remain calm and just start reeling slowly the fish will usually come with you instead of pulling back down. In this case you can use a lighter pole.

Lures) My favorite is an Ahi assult in glow (fish have been hot for the past 3 years with a teaser fly, jig etc. 2 to 3 feet above. When jigging it looks like a fish chasing a bait fish. Yeah, you don't feed in a Lings territory they'll hit it even if they're not hungry. Almost any lure/jig will get lings up there. Swimbaits, Colt Snipers, Tady 4/0, cheap rock fish irons, Shimano Lucanus with single hook.
No treble hooks. It's much easier to dance a jig out of the rocks with just a single hook.

Bait) Your choice on the boat will probably be frozen squid and sardines. Sardines will get you more lings than the squid. Watch for by catch to use for bait. Sand dabs, Mackeral (filet skin on and cut into 2 to 4" pieces. Same with small rockfish. Lets see the White fish nibble that off. My favorite is baby Octopus bought from local market.
Tough stuff, then can't pick it off. 3-4 pieces from one baby Octopus. If you can't limit Lings and RGB with 2 octopus then somethings wrong. I use octopus on my iron and teasers for scent and they stay on like glue.

Tip) Hitch hikers are common up there. I've had large lings come up 300 feet to grab onto smaller lings and various rock fish that I was reeling up. I've also had small ones come up to grab a larger one. You'll definitely feel and a lot of times when see this happens. If you happen to get one keep it down about 10-20 feet til you have a gaff available. That Ling won't let go for anything other than bringing it to the surface. I've seen a lot of jackpot lings just swim off because of this.

Hope weather lightens up so you can get out.
Wow thanks man, more info than i could ask for. Much appreciated

Upvote 0

Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
Jul 7, 2017
Pasadena
Name
Greg
Boat
Parker 2310
Good advice to just reel slow with no pumping the rod when your bit. Wind into the bite and steady pressure so they don't try and rock you. I use 30 so I can break it when it gets hung up on the bottom. Some kind of big live bait is a big plus,they have big mouths. I'd bet he'll stop on the way out to jig up a tank of mackeral if it's a ling cod trip. Ask the deckhands what's been working too.
One other reason to slow reel at the beginning is you're fishing in rock cropings, pillars, etc.. When drifting through you will feel lots of line bumps. Be patient and wait til you feel the fish kicking/swimming before going into action. Also fish free spool when drifting so if you snag you can immediately release tension on the line so you may be able to shake it lose. Lings and rock fish will hold onto the bait, even iron long enough for you to tell if it's a fish or if you are going to set on a rock. Very hungry rocks up there. I used to lose a few irons every trip till they taught me this. Now I may lose one every 2-3 trips.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
While catching rock fish in lingcod grounds wind up slowly... Lot's of times a lingcod will try and eat the rock fish you have hooked. He will keep it in his mouth all the way to the surface where you need to be ready with a gaff!

IMG_20170826_090620824 (1).jpg

Upvote 0

Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
Jul 7, 2017
Pasadena
Name
Greg
Boat
Parker 2310
Damn! All that info for a ling set up! Sounds more technical than tuna fishing...
Rental rod, mono, beer in hand, nodding off, clueless, can still = jackpot Tuna
High end equipment, alert, knowledgable. can still = skunked.
Same with all fishing. Keep it simple or make it technical. Fish the way that gives you the most enjoyment. I like technical, gives me stuff to do if fishing is slow.

Upvote 0

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
Bob on the Fortune showed me that cutting the tail off a live mackerel and fishing it with on a single large j hook (7/0) on a reverse dropper loop with a longer leader (2-3’) does the trick for getting bit. Maybe you could do this with a large sardine too. Just using live squid works great too.

Several times I’ve been hooked up on a lingcod and it comes unbuttoned after 10-20 seconds of bringing it up. I always immediately drop back to the bottom and usually just get hammered again.

Most people advise a slow steady retrieve without pumping, but I find a solid hookset attempt once you’ve got the fish above the rocks is worth trying.

Upvote 0

C Train

C Train
Jan 24, 2017
Name
Chris
Boat
Intrepid, RR3, Pacific Dawn
Bait wise, I've had the best luck with sending down the biggest sardine I can find. Always seems to get a nice ling when everyone else is getting smaller reds.

Upvote 0

Kevin Helfend

Aug 15, 2012
Saugus Ca.
Name
Kevin Helfend
Boat
none
For big lings I like to fish a calstar 800h with a torium 20 with 65 pound braid to short 40 pound floro. Rig up a long dropper loop. Use a spider hitch to make your dropper loop. Tie on a big j hook. Get a big mackerel and clip the tail and then hang on.

For jigs and swimbaits calstar 700 xh with a torium 16 with 50 pound braid to a 3’ piece of 40 pound floro.

Jigs and swimbaits are pictured below

C1FA7BB3-7C6A-4C49-A394-746D5C7DB308.jpeg D0BCE1E7-FD9F-49E1-8EAA-C487B449AC0B.jpeg 8FAD9635-22DE-485B-924E-E08B16406E4E.jpeg

Upvote 0