Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
So what is your favorite SPJ reel?
What makes it your favorite? Feel...balance...weight.....retrieval rate....line capacity...drag system....other features?
Pros and cons? How well does it get the job done? Do you use it for Demersals....Pelagics....or both? What rating rod do you use it with?

This is a topic we all probably have an opinion on. What is optimum for one angler may not be so for another. Hopefully a discussion here will help us all out.

Jeff

Upvote 0

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    Ocea Conquest 300HG limited. Holds enough 30# to fish the max depths we can fish at. Matched with a xesta 684, it's the lightest, smoothest setup I've fished. Sweet spot at 200 grams

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Hey Johnny;
    I was just looking at a video featuring the Ocea Conquest 300 reel. Were you able to get it with a fall lever? Looks like one of the nicest options with a levelwind.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
    Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Penh fathom 15ld2/torque 15ld, or the recently introduced penn fathom 8 SD, all are super smooth and match the rest of my penn line up

Reactions: Levelartist
    Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I run a saltiga 15h with a upgraded power handle. Use it for inshore rockfish on a Goofish 250g rod. Pretty crazy how much torque it gets. Caught lingcod, rockfish, and even a rock on it.
    Such a pleasure to fish. The drag is absolute butter.
    The 35n is sick too.
    IMG_20210618_233243.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    I just checked the prices.They better be "the shit"

got mine filled with 30lb prospec, 400+yrds to the top.
    rod is a Goofish Yellow (200-300g) and its also very good, they are crazy strong and well priced, I've highsticked it like crazy and never afraid of breaking.

The Yellow (green) Goofish you use 200-300g jig? Perfect weight range for that blank? Ordered the black color version (same blank) have not used it yet, just curious:-)

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    The Yellow (green) Goofish you use 200-300g jig? Perfect weight range for that blank? Ordered the black color version (same blank) have not used it yet, just curious:-)
    Yes it is the yellow blank, I chose it over the pink and blue because it can do lighter and heavier jigs. Last time I used it I was using a 83g Shimano Flatfall in sardine color and caught a nice lingcod. Then I switched over to a Tady TSP jig 100oz and caught a few nice rockfish. So for me this rod is more of a 100-300gram rod since it has done it all, you can fish whatever jig you want depending on the depth of the water.

These rods have some crazy strong blanks too, I snagged a 10lb rock and I brought it up, lol. The rod was pretty much bent as a U shape the whole time. Nice rods for the price.

Reactions: Explorer1
    Upvote 0

jowo

• Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    Hey Johnny;
    I was just looking at a video featuring the Ocea Conquest 300 reel. Were you able to get it with a fall lever? Looks like one of the nicest options with a levelwind.
    I have one with and one without. I don't think it makes a big difference, I generally just want it to get down as fast as possible, but it does give you something to do while waiting for the jig to hit bottom. Lol
    The reel does feel super solid. It is a beast for it's size.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Hey Johnny;
    I have a new JDM Oj 1500HG F custom. I only have a few hours time on it but I really like the fall lever. From the limited time I have with it I think it does make a difference. If it is set to the right spot it will apply just enough resistance to hold the jig vertical.....and ultimately removing the jig actions will get you to the bottom quickest.
    I think though where it is really going to be an advantage is how easy it is to use it to create action in the jig as it drops. I think it makes it easier to target fish that are suspended up off the bottom. Of course you have to think or know that there are suspended targets down there. I mainly fish from a small private boat so I have a sonar display to clue me in. I have noticed that a lot of the boats in videos from Japan have small sonar displays at each of the jigging stations along the rail. Takes a bit of the guessing out of the equation.....
    I held out for this feature for this reason. Was not certain how well it would actually work. But I can tell you that I am already impressed with how well it functions. The JDM Ocea Jigger is a really, really well thought out and executed reel. It is a shame they are not readily available here. Makes everything else I have tried seem crude by comparison.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

FlippinEels

Jul 22, 2021
    Deerfield Beach
    Name
    Sunny
    Boat
    No boat
    Ocea Conquest 300HG limited. Holds enough 30# to fish the max depths we can fish at. Matched with a xesta 684, it's the lightest, smoothest setup I've fished. Sweet spot at 200 grams
    This seems like a very interesting reel comparing it to the norm lopro baitcasters and how it’s a hybrid OJ. I would love to hear more about your experiences with it.

I personally have a Saltiga 15 and an OJ (JDM) . Used on Temple Reefs, Palmarius, and Goofish.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

jowo

• Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    This seems like a very interesting reel comparing it to the norm lopro baitcasters and how it’s a hybrid OJ. I would love to hear more about your experiences with it.

I personally have a Saltiga 15 and an OJ (JDM) . Used on Temple Reefs, Palmarius, and Goofish.
    It fishes pretty close to a low pro baitcaster. I like having the clutch and level wind because I'm constantly going in and out of gear. The conquest has insane tolerances and just feels tight and smooth.

Reactions: djd35de
    Upvote 0