What is your favorite jig?

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
Temecula
Name
Chris
Boat
Bertram Bahia Mar
What are your favorite speed and slow jigs, and do you have any particular reason it's your favorite.
Most of my speed jigs are Williamson Abyss but a cheep Bass Pro knockoff jig has been working well on the boat too.
I've been looking over JignPop's selection as well as Saltywater Tackle and am warming up to a few of the Yambal jigs,
Kackra Jig Arrow
Lamble Bait Kanpachi Haoli
Lamble Slim and Long series

As far as slow pitch jigs, presently all I am using is the slow knuckle jig and the flat falls.
I haven't spent much time working these jigs as most of the time I am fishing the yt are moving fast so dropping down quick is key to getting hit.

Any suggestions for jigs around 200 grams?
Thanks so much,
Chris

Reactions: RockHopperNCKA

bluewaterbum

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Have not fished with my new rod from jignpop.com, I won't see it until Fed Hall opens. I'll get my reel sometime next week.
If I'm vertical jigging I love the flat sided butterfly jigs from Shimano, the ones without hooks. I get them from Anglers Choice in San Diego ( most time they're on sale) I've had my best luck with them.

RockHopperNCKA

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
Watching this thread closely!

I'm also purchasing a BH Slow Pitch rod at the FHS and just getting into jigging. All of my YT have been caught from my kayak and all but two were caught on bait. The two non-bait were caught on Big Hammers ripped across the surface. So I'm looking forward to my first YT or first any fish, for that matter, on the jig.

Appreciate everyone's advice and willingness to help!

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Keeping an eye on this thread . . .

998R

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey & Sangre Azul
-Colt sniper stick/jerks baits
-halco roosta poppers
-Shimano flatfall glows

They get bit.

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
For Large Tuna(yft or bft):

If I had one verticle jig-
#1- It would be a FCL labo sl in 270 gram in Pink Glow.
#2- Nomad Buffalo 320 gr in Pink Glow

If I had one Popper:
#1-Heru Skipjack 120gr in Green (60 or 90 gr for smaller tuna)
#2- Heru Skipjack 120gr in Blue (I love the Heru's)

If I had one Stickbait:
#1- Siren Deep Seductress 185 in Black tie affair.
#2 - Smith Baby Rumboh (sinking) Blue Sardine

freedomjig

May 28, 2018
TN
Name
Ray
Boat
none
What are your favorite speed and slow jigs, and do you have any particular reason it's your favorite.
Most of my speed jigs are Williamson Abyss but a cheep Bass Pro knockoff jig has been working well on the boat too.
I've been looking over JignPop's selection as well as Saltywater Tackle and am warming up to a few of the Yambal jigs,
Kackra Jig Arrow
Lamble Bait Kanpachi Haoli
Lamble Slim and Long series

As far as slow pitch jigs, presently all I am using is the slow knuckle jig and the flat falls.
I haven't spent much time working these jigs as most of the time I am fishing the yt are moving fast so dropping down quick is key to getting hit.

Any suggestions for jigs around 200 grams?
Thanks so much,
Chris
For speed style jigs, like you said, Benthos are one of my personal favorites. They are proven fish catchers for sure. Other speed style jigs that I like are; Fisherman Crazy Long and Andaman Jigs, Smith Jackknifes and Side Thrusters. Lambles are awesome jigs as well. All are super fast sinking (mostly tail weighted) and work well for a variety of species, including YT.

For a jig that you can work on the fast or slow side and have good success with, I like Hots Drift Tunes. Very versatile.

For slower jigs, one of my favorites are Searide Blueblues. They catch everything from small snappers and triggerfish, to GT's. I always have a few with me on every trip I go on.

On the slow side for tuna, I also like the FCL Labo SL's.

These all come in the 200g range, except for the Blueblues. The heaviest I've seen in these is 60g, but they make knock-offs a bit heavier than that as well. I hope this helps!

Reactions: Cubeye

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
These all come in the 200g range, except for the Blueblues. The heaviest I've seen in these is 60g, but they make knock-offs a bit heavier than that as well. I hope this helps!
BlueBlue Sea Ride V come in 120g and 180g versions as well.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
For speed style jigs, like you said, Benthos are one of my personal favorites. They are proven fish catchers for sure. Other speed style jigs that I like are; Fisherman Crazy Long and Andaman Jigs, Smith Jackknifes and Side Thrusters. Lambles are awesome jigs as well. All are super fast sinking (mostly tail weighted) and work well for a variety of species, including YT.

For a jig that you can work on the fast or slow side and have good success with, I like Hots Drift Tunes. Very versatile.

For slower jigs, one of my favorites are Searide Blueblues. They catch everything from small snappers and triggerfish, to GT's. I always have a few with me on every trip I go on.

On the slow side for tuna, I also like the FCL Labo SL's.

Thank you for your detailed response. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: freedomjig

freedomjig

May 28, 2018
TN
Name
Ray
Boat
none
Good to know. I learn something new everyday. I'll have to try and find some now.

OldDrum_72

Jan 19, 2020
NC
Name
Josh
Boat
Stratos
I don't really speed jig more bottom bouncing I love Diamond jigs and hogy Sqinnow jigs.