What is your Catalina YT set up?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by r8rs4lf, Jul 9, 2019.

1. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Alot of YT action at the island lately, at least for the sport boats. Pigs at that!

I've been there a few times this year with great bites and always seem to get broken off. No bad knots, just an ugly frayed end when I wind it back in.

So what are you guys running? This is what I've ran so far:

Braid> long mono> hook
    Braid> long mono> 3-4' flouro> hook

Now I'm thinking about running a long leader of flouro straight to braid. Not really concerned about what pound test as that will be dictated that day. Obviously if I can get bit on 40#, it gives me a better chance of getting him turned, but it seems like 20-30# have been the ticket.

2. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    Up your drag and pull harder so you don't get rocked again.

DPevin, sickcat and fly liner like this.
  3. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Pull & Turn the handle!!! Your line is fine ...

Flyline , I’m just using a 3 foot top shot of fluoro, for jigs adding about a 100 ft of mono

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    jigstickjeff likes this.
  4. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    PM sent

5. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Last 2 trips for me have been mostly 20lb line fish.Tom

yessokk likes this.
  6. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Drags are always set 1/3 of line.

Once they stop running, I lay into them.

It's the structure they're running into. I'm just wondering if a long flouro leader will help with the break offs.

7. OnoEric

OnoEric Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    Once they are in the rocks, you're done, no matter what line you're using. Got to stop them before they get there. Don't be afraid to fish heavier drag. The 1/3 rule is because when your spool gets low on line, the drag increases due to smaller diameter spool and drag on the line in the water. But when fishing yellowtail near structure, you're not letting much line out, so crank up the drag and get their heads turned towards you.

8. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Eric is right! The 1/3 rule is for open water, a mile of water under the keel, and fish like billfish and big tuna that head for the horizon. Yellowtail within fifty yards of structure of any kind will almost always head right towards it at warp speed, and you will have only thirty seconds or so to STOP HIM. Keep the rod at maximum arch and use as much drag as you can handle, which is probably a lot more than you have used before. Be desperate! And you will either turn him or you won't. But there is at least a 50/50 chance that he will turn, and unless he turns you are going to lose 100%.

This is very stressful on both mono and fluoro. So at the end of your trip with several fights, replace your topshot. The braid won't care. If I am on a long trip, I will have at least one other reel ready to go to replace one that has been abused (what a happy problem to have!) And redo the topshots after dinner that night.

9. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Member

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    None
    When Barracuda are around they will nick and fray your leader so alway check. With that said I’m with the group with tight drag and reel like a madman. And when you think you got them beat and out of the structures they will sprint under the boat towards the propeller. I tend to fish longer flouro for lighter leader, about 15’ for #30 and under, FG to braid main line. That’s my first choice and main rig for bait. If that gets into tangle or any casualty, I have a second rig with heavier flouro leader (40/50).

Geronimo21 likes this.
  10. ssrmr2

ssrmr2 Member

Name:
    STEVE
    Boat:
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    trinidad 12 50lb spectra and the small spool of 25 fc. drag is pretty tight

11. DPevin

DPevin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    kayak
    I don't even use flouro for yellows and have good success, both getting bit and not getting broken off.

Letting them run and then laying into them works for the 10-15# yellows. But when the bigger ones are around you really need to have a good feel for your line and knots and try and turn their head or slow them down while they are running to get them to stop, or they would just freight train your ass.

If your drags aren't cutting it to slow them down or get their head turned you can try to use your thumb and fore finger on the line in front of the reel to put a little extra tension on the line (mono top shots make this easier, probably wouldn't try it with braid).

When they are running you also have to keep your rod tip up and keep a solid bend in the rod so it helps to slow them down, if you are getting freight trained like that you might not being using all of your rod to help you out. Think about if you have your drag set and try to pull line straight out of your rod tip, you can do it pretty easy, but lift that rod tip up and try to pull the drag at the angle that you would fight the fish, its harder right?

And then once you get their head turned you just have to fuck them up and not let them get their head turned back the other way, keep em coming to the boat. You start to feel head shakes, pull back, head shakes are them trying to get turned the other way.

Doesn't always work out but you gotta give yourself the best shot.

12. Paulo Grandez

Paulo Grandez Member

Name:
    Paulo
    Boat:
    N/A
    Cousins Raze 909 Lexa 400 40# MC 50yards of 30# Stren Magnathin 3' flouro leader and a shit load of drag. You cannot let them get to the rocks!

13. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    I landed a 31.6 pounder this past Sunday at cat. We were fishing along the kelp line and when I hooked the fish, the dummy took off the opposite direction to deeper water. Sometimes you hook smart ones that rock you. Or dumb ones that just want to die. Hung mine on an old seeker sd8/Trinidad 20a on #25 test. Maximum pressure just how @DPevin explained. Still took half my spool. A lot of the time it really is the luck of the draw if everything on your end of the line is 100%

A40FC5F3-02F6-4B73-B680-BA85B566AA8A.jpeg

14. eric perez

eric perez stillapinhead

Name:
    eric perez
    Boat:
    no mas
    weve gotten a few better grade yellows this year at Cat.. 20-25lb class. I just use 30lb - 40lb mono on everything... and then Ill tack on a 4"0" piece of 25lb flourocarbon IF ITS NEEDED. I fish a really tight drag. Always have... always will. I have no fear of pulling hooks. IMO once you start thinking about pulling hooks you loosen your drag or dont pull as hard out of fear... you give up any advantages you have to work that fish. I dont let those fish run. If theyre gonna go, theyre gonna work for every yard. I try to get them coming sideways first thing and dont let up. Keep a max bend in the rod and... lean back... lean back!! LOL I fish stand up... max bent rod... no long pumps... no arm pit unless its absolutely necessary. Just pull and wind...

kbray001 and Haly0 like this.
  15. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    I see a lot of people who don't have the muscle to pull on fish. They get a fish on and end up out of breath looking like the fish is about to pull them overboard.

16. kbray001

kbray001 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kirk
    Boat:
    Regal 24

One of the my favorite sayings i picked up from a deckhand, “They come up, or they come off!”

No need to let them run set the hook and pull like crazy.

You can pull surprisingly hard on 20 lb. you can pull shockingly hard on 40 lb.

Jig Strike, Ryan_J and streetnfish like this.
  17. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    X2.... Lean Back!

giphy.gif

uglyducky and eric perez like this.
  18. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    And remember that yellowtail and tuna and even bass don't nibble on a bait -- they INHALE it. There are some fish that bite the back half of a bait, like halibut and dorado, who crush the bait before spitting and gulping it. Most of the trouble comes from doing an unnecessary long count before bringing the line tight on yellows and tuna.

The only real issue is using very big baits like mackerel. It is hard to get the hook out of the tough face of a mackerel and into a biting fish. There, you want to use a longer count so that it is deep into the throat.

Jig Strike and Ryan_J like this.
  19. Rdy2fsh

Rdy2fsh Newbie

Name:
    Andres werne
    Boat:
    Any boat leaving the dock!!!
    My go to set up: 9' Californian trihelix 25/60, fathom 30 star drag buttoned down tight , and straight 40 lb smoked izor . Ringed hook, sized accordingly, have never had to bust out the flouro for yellows.

20. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    We used to use 25# Ande grey mono on a Squidder and caught the crap out of various fishes.

I guess the price of confidence has gone way up ?

OnoEric and sealskinner like this.