what is wrong with this reel?

freespool9

Almost A Member
Jun 29, 2015
Name
Kendall
Boat
NA
i was going to buy a used spinning reel off a guy today. met with him, cash on hand. upon arrival i inspected the reel and noticed an odd noise. everything else about the reel WORKED:
- drag was smooth as butter
- anti-reverse lever
- reeling mechanism was fine
- cosmetically fine

just when engaging the reel it was not smooth and made a noise. i initially passed on the reel. is this an easy fix? or just cut my losses and walk away from this. please view the video and offer your input.

reel details
- daiwa BG 3000 spinning

Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Did he do lots of beach fishing? Doesn't sound good. No way to tell how much damage it has.

Upvote 0

freespool9

Almost A Member
    Jun 29, 2015
    Name
    Kendall
    Boat
    NA
    Did he do lots of beach fishing? Doesn't sound good. No way to tell how much damage it has.
    well it is hard to believe him after hearing the sound. but he said the reel sounded like this 'out of the box.' who knows maybe that is true and he bought it used.

he said he fished on the jettys and piers.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Guessing Arbor bearing or rubbing trip lever. Any play in the rotating part? Only good as a parts or project reel.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

freespool9

Almost A Member
    Jun 29, 2015
    Name
    Kendall
    Boat
    NA
    Guessing Arbor bearing or rubbing trip lever. Any play in the rotating part?
    the rotation seemed fine to me. nothing seem out of the ordinary, until you reel.

if you were to change out the arbor bearing, is that an easy job to DIY? inexpensive?

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Depends on the bearing and availability. Rotating part= I mean the bail, or knucklebusting part that rotates around the spool. Honestly, if one bearing is bad, there could be more. It could be a cheap fix DIY. Or pricey at a nice shop.

Or comedic, if you walk into a pricey shop with a basket case you can't reassemble.

• Haha
    Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Chelsea Rae
    Depending on the year it was made it could be zinc or aluminum digicut gear...if zinc...sounds like a flat spot....Tackle direct has a deal on them right now.....not knowing what the replacement part cost or the actual problem itself is plus the cost of a used reel.....buy a new one and at least get the factory warranty.....$100.00- $110.00
    How much was the used reel ?

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

freespool9

Almost A Member
    Jun 29, 2015
    Name
    Kendall
    Boat
    NA
    new at tackledirect about 119, i was able to bargain down to 70 (before finding out about the grinding noise)

Upvote 0

freespool9

Almost A Member
    Jun 29, 2015
    Name
    Kendall
    Boat
    NA
    with TONS of options out there, why would you get into something questionable? go with your instincts!

BTW, SEE:
    daiwa thread.
    good point. i figure does not hurt to ask.

some things can be more easily to diagnose and it would be worth the risk. but there is no clear consensus here so yes, probably a good idea to pass.

• Wink Face
    Reactions: dalurker
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Buy it and learn how to fix it. It would give you skills for the rest of your fishing life. Its either something rubbing inside or bearing problems. Easy fix.

Upvote 0

Latest posts