What is the SMALLEST boat you have taken offshore/Islands?

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat Name
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
I used to fish the 9 mile all the time in a 14' Valco and even went almost to the 182 a few times... then I got a 20' Maxum and fished all the way out to the 181 and even came close to the 43 a few times... In the Valco I was VERY in tune with the weather and in the Maxum I was to a certain extent as well but put literally 1000's of miles on that boat... I put lots of tuna on that Maxum as well as many other species... it was a great boat to fish on a budget... at 22-28 mph I get 3-4 MPG and even in sloppy conditions I could plain at 14-15 MPH and not get beat to hell!

0204051629.jpg

1122151641a.jpg

1219041544.jpg

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat Name
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
Nothing as crazy as what I've read but we used to take my cousins 20ft Morgan craft fly bridge out to Santa Cruz, it was a 5hr tow to get to the harbor and I swear every time we planned a trip we'd hit a small craft advisory and go anyways. We got so used to that, one time we hit a gail warning. Threw on our wet suits and headed out. The oil rigs were hailing us to inform us of the gail warning as they saw us coming across the channel. I wouldn't do that today but back then...

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

Crowman

Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat Name
YES
There were a small handful of guy's at Shelter Cove in Northern Calif that had special boats that they built up run 40 miles out for albacore. The boats were 10 feet long (aluminum), 35 HP outboards and a stand up center console. They were like a motorcycle on water and went fast like a bat out of hell. They could only troll with 2 rods with rod holders bolted to the console at about 45 degree angles. I thought my boat at 21 feet at the time was small but seeing these guy's out 40 miles trolling was a trip. They caught their share of tuna but had to stop at around 10 fish because of their boat size. These guy's weren't novices and knew what they were doing.

Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    Few weeks back at Nado’s in my 18’ Robalo we saw a guy fishing the lee side of NI in a SoloSkiff!
    Here’s the video

He’s been out to the 9, maybe a little further, the Nados and lots of off shore paddy hoping. There’s a guy that has a grey inflatable scout, similar to my green Saturn above, that hits the Nados frequently.
    Great thing about inflatables is they don’t sink when swamped. One way drains get them dry, no bilge pumps to worry about and as much as people would like to argue, holes aren’t an issue.only limiting factor is how much fuel we can bring and how much of a beating we can endure.

Upvote 0

king triton

Almost A Member
    Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Fred
    Boat Name
    Kai Bendito ( Boston Whaler)
    Took my 15 foot whaler to the 9 a last week and played with some foamers. None wanted to come home with me though. It was no problem smaller 2 foot swell to deal with. I definitely picked my day and went in early before the wind picked up.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I stopped being ballsy in small boats when I was 17 and fishing with my 15 year old brother in our family 16 foot fiberglass boat with a 35, out fishing for 3 B's off Huntington Beach, when weather came up suddenly so we turned south for Newport Harbor. BIG swells, we were trying to hurry, and my brother driving misjudged and went off the top of the swell and burried the nose in the next wave. About three feet of green water came over us and almost completely swamped the boat. He's jockying the throttle trying to keep the motor going and I'm in the back bailing like a madman, and I managed to get enough water outside so that we stayed afloat and could manage some headway. A long slow trip back to the slip in Newport, and we never did tell Dad about it.

I instantly became much more cautious about going offshore, and became a better fisherman because of it. My brother continued with thinking he was bulletproof.

Upvote 0

Efishnsea

Teaching kids how to fish
    Aug 2, 2007
    Covina, Ca
    Name
    Ed Efishnsea
    Boat Name
    Boston Whaler 205 Eastport Cuddy cabin, + Dinghy +Kayaks+ SUP
    Just curious what the SMALLEST boat you have taken offshore or Catalina/Nados/Channel Islands?

What size and model?

How far out did you go?

Was is crazy?

Myself nothing crazy I have taken a 18' Bayliner Ski boat from Long Beach to Catalina a couple times. Wasnt too crazy at all.

I did see a guy on the backside in a good swell in a 13' Whaler.
    Yup,
    I have fished Yellowfin Tuna and Paddies in a 13' Boston Whaler at the both 277/152 banks only when swells were under 3' with longer swell distances-then made sure I was heading home to Davies launch ramp in Long Beach around 10:30 am before the wind would start to come up.
    --You need to be smart and keep one eye on the weather + have a great VHF in case of a problem.

Upvote 0

Errin

Snorkeler
    Jun 22, 2015
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Errin
    Boat Name
    Cabo 216
    12 foot inflatable, no console, tiller steer 25hp Nissan 2-stroke. In my dive suit the entire trip.

Channel Islands Harbor to backside Anacapa and back.

Pick a good day and you can do it in anything!

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat Name
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    i got lots of stories i could tell about my 14' bay liner bass boat, kelp beds, 9. Islands etc. The wildest was when i was fishing lj kelp and I saw two guys in an old wooden bathtub with about a 7 hp motor on it, it was only about 10" about the water... i couldn't take my eyes off these two guys until they were out of sight, that was unreal.
    We used to fish the Islands in my buddies 19' boat, go straight out of SD bay for about a 1/2 mile and then just watch the compass... we would leave about 3 am. we were having a Santa Ana and it was 100 in Clairemont, we decided to go fishing the next day, no one bothered to check weather forecast and the warmest thing anyone brought was a sweat shirt. wind was howling but we went anyway. I remember going up swells that were in the face off before cresting and thinking these are some big swells, it was dark and we couldn't see shit. when there was enough light we could see we about shit our pants.. full on small craft warning, we got to the islands and went on the back side to get out of the weather, the sport boats that were there had all the passengers pointing at us. forgot how bad the weather was by the time we left, it was bad on the back side but nothing like when we came around the island to go home, unreal conditions but we made it back. now i check the weather right up to the time i am leaving the house and I don't care how warm it has been i take a jacket.... we were 18 young and dumb and full of cum

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat Name
    my ancestors, the Vikings, went all over the world in wooded boats with no life boats, life jackets, gps or even a compass, everyone would row if there was no wind. Now those were some manly men, balls the size of basket balls, of course that may have been because they were so fucking big. All my relatives in Sweden look just like me but are about 8" taller. sailing across the ocean back when it was flat and you could fall off the edge... that is some fucking balls.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    No Boat Now
    Fished my Whaler Montauk 16'7" , everywhere, islands, 370, 302, 425, 101, etc, straight out from mission bay 25 plus miles....
    2nd best boat i ever owned....

Over and Out..

Upvote 0

king triton

Almost A Member
    Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Fred
    Boat Name
    Kai Bendito ( Boston Whaler)
    I always check NOAA prior to going. Carry all the appropriate safety gear. Wear the vest with kill switch attached check my VHS before leaving the harbor. Tell people I’m going out and where I’m planning on fishing. Also helps to have a BoatUS Membership and having a reliable motor

Reactions: One_Leg and gecsr1
    Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat Name
    The 182 in my old boat, a 17' Invader. Several trips to the 9 and the Coronados too. Just had to pick the right days or it was bang-babang-bang comming back from the islands.
    Actually Invaders are very good offshore boats for their size, mine doesn't pound and I don't get wet and it is only an 18' mine is a different model it has a deep V about a 25 degree dead rise, my friend Cody has one like yours and he goes all over in it. It is about how well you know being on the water and knowing what your boat is and isn't capable of, mine is capable of more than I am, it doesn't pound but coming home into the wind for a couple hours still kicks your ass and I am an old fart now.

Upvote 0