What is the consensus of driving in Baja MX at night?

Bend Session

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    I love going to Baja, you just need to play by there rules, and don’t do anything stupid,
    And try to get through the boarder towns without stopping.
    Are there boarder town police looking to give tickets? why no stopping?

Upvote 0

jdperk57

May 31, 2015
    Name
    jim
    Boat Name
    Retired
    I Lost a good fishing buddy that was driving back from SQ Hit and Run never caught who ever did it
    I would not advise this

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat Name
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Also, might as well mention try to stay off the road during Easter week. Its party time in baja and (at least) half the population stays liquered up better part of 7 days. A fun time for sure but vehicle wrecks every where as Mex 1 resembles a Mad Max movie

Last edited:
    Reactions: Interpaleo
    Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    23' Maritime Patriot
    Also, might as well mention try to stay off the road down there during Easter week. Its party time in baja and (at least) half the population stays liquered up better part of 7 days. A fun time for sure but vehicle wrecks every where and Mex 1 resembles a Mad Max movie
    That's what makes it fun...

Upvote 0

Jpasto

Mar 20, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Jason pasto
    Boat Name
    Dream
    What is the overall consensus of driving in Mexico solo at night?

Some believe its totally safe? Others recommend only driving with multipal cars or having someone who speaks spanish? Another belief is only drive during day light hours or only drive to Ensenda any further drive only at day time.
    I didn't think much of it until we almost hit a black cow laying across the road. I still don't know how we missed him. Since then (1988) I will never drive at night in Baja. I just got back from AZ to Cabo and back..driving. Saw a bridge near Punta Abreojos that washed out and that reinforced why we don't drive at night. Add to that potholes, semi trucks driving like sports cars and roads that have washed or eroded away...that's why people don't drive down there at night.

Upvote 0
    Jun 5, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Clyde
    Boat Name
    252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
    Been going to Baja for many years not only to fish but for racing as well. Racing, prerunning, etc, night driving is a must. Not saying that I enjoy it or that its safe. The main thing is to just slow down. Are the roads dark? yes very - same as in rural US. Is there livestock on the roads? Yes - same as in rural US. If at all possible I try to drive with another vehicle just because it is so rural and if you have a breakdown it sucks but that is the same during the day. Its completely doable you just have to slow down. Having extra lights helps...not to go faster but to see better. Alot of times at night when I have an oncoming vehicle I will turn on my hazards and most of the time they will slow down.

Reactions: Cubeye and 7emptsT
    Upvote 0
    Jun 5, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Clyde
    Boat Name
    252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
    Are there boarder town police looking to give tickets? why no stopping?

I also try not to stop in border towns. The way I always describe it is if you are traveling the 5 freeway in LA there are certain exits and cities you just dont want to get off at. Its like when you are driving through there at night and you need a bathroom break, you just keep going until you get out of town. Same rules apply in StLouis, New Orleans, and Chicago. Drove through all of those places and common sense is necessary to know when it is best to just get back on the highway for a little while.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    At least we have AAA & 911 here in the US for any emergency…plus our ERs & its medical staff are the best.

Whom do you call driving in Baja at night in case of an emergency?

Upvote 0

7emptsT

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 23, 2021
    California
    Name
    Tyson
    Boat Name
    Kayaks
    At least we have AAA & 911 here in the US for any emergency…plus our ERs & its medical staff are the best.

Whom do you call driving in Baja at night in case of an emergency?
    True to a point, call triple a up here and you get laughed at or told it will be days before they can dispatch someone, if your not on the main roads.

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

came2fish

Nov 7, 2022
    OFFSHORE
    Name
    donnie
    Boat Name
    millertime

Keep Your Toll Road Ticket​

Mexico Toll Roads

While traveling on the Mexican Toll Roads you will get a ticket when you pay the toll. It is important to keep this ticket because it will be your insurance while traveling on the toll road. If you crash, or are involved in an accident, your toll receipt will help you avoid paying road repair and maintenance charges. Also, if your car should break down, your ticket covers roadside assistance. The roadside assistance is provided while driving on the toll roads by the Green Angels, which are the Mexican equivalent of the AAA in the United States.

Like he said, Baja is not for everyone, so stay home, in the good 'ol USA......

Upvote 0

came2fish

Nov 7, 2022
    OFFSHORE
    Name
    donnie
    Boat Name
    millertime
    Toll Receipt is not proof of Mexico Insurance. The Toll Road insurance will not cover damage to your vehicle if you are at fault, also if you get off the Mexican Toll Roads you are not covered by a Toll Receipt, only Mexican auto Insurance will cover this. Mexico Insurance can be purchased online. Mexico Insurance will cover damage to your vehicle as well as theft.

Just to be clear...

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat Name
    none
    To add to my story earlier about crashing in the middle of the night....subsequent trips down to Los Barriles meant leaving at the crack of dawn here in SD and stopping overnight in Guererro Negro, and then making it the rest of the way down during the day.

Reactions: socaldieseltech
    Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    True to a point, call triple a up here and you get laughed at or told it will be days before they can dispatch someone, if your not on the main roads.
    It took an hour & 1/2 for AAA to arrive at Siquoa National Park the last time I called them for assistance…at least they came.

Reactions: 7emptsT
    Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    The same people you would call in Baja during the daytime in case of an emergency. Baja isn't for everyone.
    Luckily never had to call for emergency travelling mostly the toll roads so far towards Ensenada on mostly daytime so no idea whom to call then.

The lobster in Puerto Nuevo, the fresh seafoods at Popotla Beach, cold beer & awesome beachgoers at Rosarito Beach, and oh my fav pit stop at Taqueria el Trailero at El Sauzal to name a few prevents me from staying home though.

True that, Baja is not for everyone esp the remote areas much more travelling at night in those places. Again, driving Baja MX at night…No thanks…why risks if you can avoid it…drive daytime if possible.

Reactions: Cubeye and 7emptsT
    Upvote 0
    Jun 5, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Clyde
    Boat Name
    252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
    Luckily never had to call for emergency travelling mostly the toll roads so far towards Ensenada on mostly daytime so no idea whom to call then.

The lobster in Puerto Nuevo, the fresh seafoods at Popotla Beach, cold beer & awesome beachgoers at Rosarito Beach, and oh my fav pit stop at Taqueria el Trailero at El Sauzal to name a few prevents me from staying home though.

True that, Baja is not for everyone esp the remote areas much more travelling at night in those places. Again, driving Baja MX at night…No thanks…why risks if you can avoid it…drive daytime if possible.
    agreed I drive at night whenever possible but sometimes I gotta do what I gotta do just try to be extra careful. I will say however, if those places are the extent of your travels in Baja you are barely scratching the surface. Not meaning it in a bad way but I pass all of the places you mention because there are so much better places the further south you get. Except trailero, that may be indeed the best tacos in all of baja

Upvote 0