What is the best trailer boat for family fishing in SoCal?

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
My wife is warming up to the idea of buying a boat, been doing some research (for the last 10 years, haha) she wants a cabin for her and the boys to crash out in, I want something with as open a cockpit as possible, no I can’t afford a Parker or defiance. 22-24ft ideally but I’m having a hard time finding something that’s not in Boone fkn Florida... 20k is the budget at the moment but I’ll be saving while I’m waiting so might be able to spend a bit more this fall/winter. Thoughts anyone?

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Boston whaler makes a great safe all around boat , make sure whatever you buy it has a 4 stroke motor

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    It's a seller's market in so cal right now. Think arm n a leg or first born son style shit. Do like @bazzturd, and get something from the East coast. you can save thousands.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    I’ll sell you a project boat cheap. It’s ugly as F*** but with some $love$ and a sawzall, it could be something nice.

Reactions: seanstewart
    Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    My wife is warming up to the idea of buying a boat, been doing some research (for the last 10 years, haha) she wants a cabin for her and the boys to crash out in, I want something with as open a cockpit as possible, no I can’t afford a Parker or defiance. 22-24ft ideally but I’m having a hard time finding something that’s not in Boone fkn Florida... 20k is the budget at the moment but I’ll be saving while I’m waiting so might be able to spend a bit more this fall/winter. Thoughts anyone?
    $20k sounds like a good down payment on a $40k boat. See how easy I just hoped your game! Central Florida to North Carolina should be your target. Fly and drive is the way to go.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'

If you are not a prior boat owner and do not know your way around boat, whatever you do, do not buy a forty year old Skipjack or any forty year old boat for that matter.

Upvote 0

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Wow, thanks for all the replies, I guess buying a 1995 bayliner 2302 off Craigslist is a bad idea... if I’m shopping nationally that puts key west, Cobia, and some others that are hard to find out here on the table. Any advice for shopping for a boat from 2000 miles away? I think I’m going to take my time and probably not buy anything until the end of the year, maybe the market will less inflated then.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Wow, thanks for all the replies, I guess buying a 1995 bayliner 2302 off Craigslist is a bad idea... if I’m shopping nationally that puts key west, Cobia, and some others that are hard to find out here on the table. Any advice for shopping for a boat from 2000 miles away? I think I’m going to take my time and probably not buy anything until the end of the year, maybe the market will less inflated then.
    Have you thought about freedom boat club? With the prices of boats this option is starting to make more sense than ever.

Upvote 0

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Have you thought about freedom boat club? With the prices of boats this option is starting to make more sense than ever.
    I have, it is definitely cheaper than buying a new or even newish boat and paying for a slip and maintenance but I’m going to buy my boat “cash” and have a place to park it. It’s not worth the money to me, I’m not going to have a $500/mo payment.

Upvote 0

Chris Giapapas

Chrisfish
    May 30, 2013
    Temecula ca USA
    Name
    Chris G
    Boat
    not at this time
    Okay, I’m going to chime in. My partner and I own a 20’ skipjack fly bridge. We put a new motor in it, re wired , bait tank , electronics, trailer is okay (new tires). Outdrive has been gone through and yet it sits in my driveway. Here’s the problem. My partner is in his mid 70’s and I’m 66 recovering from back surgery. We have fished from Cabo to Ventura for over 50 years it’s in our dna , that’s alive and well, not so much for our bodies. I’m putting this out there because my partner and I still want to fish. We just need help. Maybe we can work something out on a trial base’s. I need the boat out of my driveway.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    The timing is AWFUL right now (for everyone and everything). Boat market is not good; new boat dealerships are selling boats WITHOUT motors, which of course makes the used market hotter than a Mormon bride on wedding day.

The budget's a little low and the desire for a cabin really puts most good options out of your reach. If you HAD to buy right now, you're looking at a decades old vessel (which is fine if you're willing to put in the sweat equity and money to make sure she's seaworthy). Buying out of state will help your budget IF you're planning to pick it up yourself. Otherwise, that's another couple couple thousand dollars for reliable, insured shipping.

Locally, I'd say your best bet is a Craigslist find or an acquaintance sale. Good deals will go like hot cakes in a market like this.

P.S. Remember all those predictions at the start of the pandemic about how people would start selling their boats for way less and people would be grabbing great deals on the used market? Yeah.

Upvote 0

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Yeah, market is tough, I don’t mind spending another season on the sporties and helping out on fellow BDrs boats. I’m going to keep saving and looking until my budget catches up with what’s available. Thanks for all the help, way more help than I expected from a none report post, my faith in the members of BD has been restored. I hope to contribute some good intel once I make it back out this season. If you want to know how the fishing is inside Dana Point Harbor I’ve got that just about dialed...

Reactions: SUPSquatchFish
    Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Early 2000's Grady-White like a 228 Seafarer or 208 Adventure. Rock solid hull and quality construction.

Upvote 0