IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2007
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Jimmy
Boat
Boston whaler 19
So I’m looking to get 2 new boat batteries. I have a 19 foot Boston Whaler, I need to power regular equipment: bilge pump, bait pump, wash down pump, vhf radio, fish finder, and stereo. I currently have two interest group 24 deep cycle batteries liquid. I was thinking I might step up to something more sealed like an AGM. I don’t have an endless bankroll hoping to spend less then $400 total. I need to stay at the group 24 because I’m hoping to get a 24 volt trolling motor at some point and need the space for two more batteries. I’m confused do I get deep cycle or starter, or the other mixed one.

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
How many HP engine do you need to start, you may want to try DP batteries.

TheBoyScout

Thanks doesn't buy gas...
Nov 13, 2014
San Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
Bayrunner Baja 21 "Rough Rider"
Group 24 has nothing to do with 24v. That is just the size of the battery. I would go to walmart and get 2 group 29 deepcycle/starting batteries with an on off switch and ACR

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany

pescaloco

fish hunter
Aug 17, 2005
san diego
Name
Mark B.
Boat
27 Foot Stringari Custom
For your budget stick with the Interstate flooded cell - Interstate makes a great battery
Maybe go to a group 27 or 31 battery for a little extra amp hour capacity they are slightly larger however
A quality AGM battery will cost double per battery

Last edited:
Reactions: javierlopez123

Robert c. Sample

Almost A Member
Feb 11, 2019
Snowflake arizona
Name
Robert sample
Boat
Reel rage
Whatever you get .get a solar panel. To keep them charged.
20200603_075749.jpg

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
I’d suggest Interstate, Trojan or West Marine flooded Lead/acid batteries. Marine deep cycle/starting type. And add a simple charge/float maintainer.

Yes AGM is some degree better & will last longer, but the batteries and proper charging system will be well over your $400 budget.

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Just get an srm-31 for deep cycle and 24m-xhd for cranking and be sure to bring old batteries with u as a core exchange. The 31 is roughly 2 in longer than the 24 if u have the room... interstate batteries does agm marine but don’t get those get the 31-agm7 pricey but it’s the best.

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
A regulated solar panel is a great option to maintain lead/acid batteries if your storage does not have power. We have a system on our travel trailer and its been excellent.

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    One point I would like to add is that you cannot mix battery types (i.e. flooded / agm) with most onboard dual bank chargers. You can do it if they are all the same type, just not mixed. I am sure some high end chargers could possibly do it but don't know of any budget friendly ones that can. Could be wrong, just my .02

Reactions: IM2MONEY

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
    Apr 5, 2020
    Greensboro North Carolina
    Name
    Ted Allegranza
    Boat
    None
    One point I would like to add is that you cannot mix battery types (i.e. flooded / agm) with most onboard dual bank chargers. You can do it if they are all the same type, just not mixed. I am sure some high end chargers could possibly do it but don't know of any budget friendly ones that can. Could be wrong, just my .02
    Agm batteries must be slowly charged otherwise it will get bloated and pop if it’s on a regular amp charger over .5 to 1 amp ... but if u have a slow automatic battery charger on board i.e trickle charge 2 different batteries agm and flooded won’t be a problem..

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Agm batteries must be slowly charged otherwise it will get bloated and pop if it’s on a regular amp charger over .5 to 1 amp ... but if u have a slow automatic battery charger on board i.e trickle charge 2 different batteries agm and flooded won’t be a problem..

That's my point, in a two bank system you set the charge based on both battery's chemistry and that charge "profile" will go to both batteries, there is not a way to say bank 1 is AGM, bank 2 is flooded. (Edit: I am sure some high dollar chargers can but for budget friendly chargers that I know of) For what it's worth I have the Promariner Prosport 20 and per the manual:

1591669522540.png

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    That's my point, in a two bank system you set the charge based on both battery's chemistry and that charge "profile" will go to both batteries, there is not a way to say bank 1 is AGM, bank 2 is flooded. (Edit: I am sure some high dollar chargers can but for budget friendly chargers that I know of) For what it's worth I have the Promariner Prosport 20 and per the manual:

View attachment 1154264

AGMs will take a charge faster than a wet battery but it has to be at the correct voltage. No batteries like being overheated. One of the AGM advantages is that assuming you have the amps to do so you can charge an AGM bank back up in a shorter time - less genny run time while your sipping cocktails. :D

There is a work-around for mixing an AGM and a wet battery. Yandina makes combiners (VSR) that can be set to charge the wet battery first and the combiner will pass on charge to the AGM at a lower voltage when it closes. The downside is that you can only use a single charge source (a single leg of a charger like the ProMariner20) to charge both batteries. Running the boat no problem since you only have a single source but at the dock or in the driveway it would take longer to recharge.

To the OPs question unless your running a big load with no engine running than a couple of wet group24s should be fine.

As always I am a fan of separating house load and cranking duty when you have two batteries. Not always needed thou depending on how you use the boat.