I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
Hi guys,
I am new to rod building and have decided to build my first saltwater custom rod. I decided to get a cheap blank from mudhole and use it for a practice run before I go and get expensive components for the main build. I got the CRB special 20-50 blank with .81 butt end. Not knowing what size of grips to get, and since they are pretty inexpensive, I got one pair in '5 inch ID and one in .75" ID. In the pic below, you can see where the rear grips end on the blank without any force applied.

My question is, how do you decide which one is the correct size? The EVA form is pretty firm and I don't think I could be able to push the one with .5 diameter all the way to the end of the blank. .75 looks like the right size for the rear grip but it will be, I am guessing to big for the fore grip.

I looked into grip reamers but the biggest size is .5" so that will do no good and I read that you not suppose to use them on EVA grips anyway.

Any help, tips are very welcome.
grips.jpg

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
You can ream EVA. Put the butt cap on and mark where the top of the bottom grip will stop at top ie if its a 10" grip mark 10" above butcap. Flip the grip around (if taperered) and push it down to see if it fits snugly at the top mark. if snug at top you can use the 0.75 i.d.. I normally ream all my eva grips to fit snug before epoxy. Looks like ull need to ream the foregrip. Eva similar to cork doesnt compress/stretch like hypalon.

You can make your own reamer. Old piece of rod(with taper) and epoxy a belt sand paper around it. Add an old drill bit to fit inside bottom of rod epoxied in to attach to a drill.

Attachments