What have you wished you didn't forget to bring?

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I have a complete set of stuff i take on LR trips and all of it is in a couple large plastic tubs this includes clothes…….the only stuff that changes is the tackle. makes it easy.

Reactions: XL1 and alulunga

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
batteries for alarm clock, pen light, head lamp, charger for phone and computer

Reactions: Johnny J

MATTUSMC

May 27, 2014
Ruskin, Florida
Name
Matthew Bertsch
Boat
199 Sea Fox Commander "SEA EYE"
Never been on a multi-day (except a few 1.5 days), but I have deployed several times and spent 30+ days off the FOB with nothing but what I could carry in the ruck on my back. Here are a few things I have learned to always have when living out of a bag.

1) Good socks. Good socks that stay up especially when wearing rubber deck boots that don't have the best support. Wearing Danners everyday for work and deck boots on most weekends, I have found Covert Threads to be the best by far. I have pairs that are closing in on ten years old and they still look and feel like new and the elastic still keeps them up.

2) Floss. Nothing really sucks more than having something like jerky stuck in you teeth and have absolutely no way of getting it out.

3) Poncho Liner (a.k.a. Woobie). Military guys will know what this is. If you are not of a military background, it is in the link below and is perfect for just about every situation where a light blanket is required. This is what I used on the overnighters I have been on. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-us-military-surplus-poncho-liner?a=372697

4) 550 or Para-cord (the real one, not the knock-off fiber filled stuff for sale at the big box stores). This stuff has almost limitless uses. Need to make a clothes line in your stateroom, need to lash a rod to the rail, need to make a replacement boot lace or belt, etc... Plus if you need thinner line for something like floss, you can always pull out the inside thinner pieces.

5) Athletic Tape. Great for just about any purpose were tape can be used. Also great for quick bandages and usually still sticks when it gets wet.

6) Pen and paper.

7) Digital Camera and accessories. Don't forget to charge the batteries.

8) Multi-tool.

9) Small 10x Binos or monocular.

10) Wet Ones / Baby Wipes. Can't take a shower, line for the shower, just want to get the grime off before chow or hitting the rack.

I am sure I will think of more and will edit as I do.

******** 11) Enough Tobacco to support your own habit. Does not matter if you smoke or dip, just bring your own. No one likes a bum. ********

Last edited:

egarratt

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 11, 2005
San Diego
Name
Eddie G
Boat
None
I have forgotten a towel more than once and had to use t shirts. I bring 2 pairs of socks for each day, I always go through my sock drawer and find old ones. When I change socks the dirty ones go straight in the trash.
No, overboard.

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore AS-16 Sub Pac6
The what to do with wet socks I find challenging. Toss them out, or try to dry them out in your stateroom or outside your door at night in the hallway hanging inside your boot is all I could come up with. Maybe take them on the upper deck in a mesh drying bag so not to stink bomb your roomie.

Small amount of mineral spirits to clean the mess that sinkers wrapped in black electrical tape make on your line, when you decide to remove the lead you get black smudge on the line that could be wiped off with a solvent.

swordswizzle

Humble sort
Dec 12, 2007
Monterey, ca
Name
chuck
Boat
SD Long Range Fleet
Ok, time to be a wise ass.
#1. Yourself, as in don't be late because your being so fastidious trying not to forget sometime, nothing will piss off a bunch of guys worse than waiting extra time at the bait receivers for a knucklehead. Now being fashionably late is ok, such as showing up on a skiff while the bait is being loaded, it may even illicit some cheers from the peanut gallery.
#2. Your Passport, in lite of recent developments it seems that you will not be allowed on the boat without one. Just had to throw that one in as the thread on the subject went to shit so fast.

Last edited:

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
The what to do with wet socks I find challenging. Toss them out, or try to dry them out in your stateroom or outside your door at night in the hallway hanging inside your boot is all I could come up with. Maybe take them on the upper deck in a mesh drying bag so not to stink bomb your roomie.

Small amount of mineral spirits to clean the mess that sinkers wrapped in black electrical tape make on your line, when you decide to remove the lead you get black smudge on the line that could be wiped off with a solvent.

Wouldnt that eat the mono? Even just alittle sounds like too much

Reactions: Blackfish

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore AS-16 Sub Pac6
BBkEuNo.jpg
I tried some 91% iso/alcohol for this purpose wasn't strong enough. Going with small zip ties to hold the lead in place rather than rubber bands as the lead ends up sliding down the line staining it with the black adhesive. Not sure how a swipe of mineral spirits would impact the integrity of a 130lb flouro. It's not gonna eat into the line, better than seeing this black crud on your topshot.

Check out this 13ft oarfish that surfaced and died apparently off Catalina on Monday. Bottom fishing could have it's rewards.

Last edited:

mikelravy

Jun 18, 2012
Warren PA USA
Name
Mike McElravy
Boat
Jim Dandy
View attachment 595426 I tried some 91% iso/alcohol for this purpose wasn't strong enough. Going with small zip ties to hold the lead in place rather than rubber bands as the lead ends up sliding down the line staining it with the black adhesive. Not sure how a swipe of mineral spirits would impact the integrity of a 130lb flouro. It's not gonna eat into the line, better than seeing this black crud on your topshot.

Check out this 13ft oarfish that surfaced and died apparently off Catalina on Monday. Bottom fishing could have it's rewards.
Buy some red Offshore Angler snap weights Work great, don't slide or damage line.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Planning out a few 3 and 4 day trips, then shooting for a real LR trip next season. My question is what have you've forgotten on a trip that you wished you hadn't? Or maybe realize once you're on the boat that you wish you had brought this, or that?

Mine is always socks... I always use more than I bring.

I think it'd be nice to see what others have forgotten so I and others might realize before we take off...
some jock itch spray, if your hairy, and tooth brush and mouth wash