What has Fishing Done to You?

Philippe B

Jan 16, 2020
San Diego
Name
Philippe Bruchez
Boat
Boston Whaler
I have noticed during my time fishing on the shore and taking the occasional 1.5 day trip on a charter, I have developed a strong passion for nature and developed traits like patience or persistence. The countless hours walking, kayaking or driving to a certain fishing spot has really allowed me to gain an appreciation of nature. There is not much to do while going out to a spot other than look around and value nature. One of my favorite spots locally is the kelp beds off the coast of Camp Pendleton. I could not ask for a better day than slinging calicos with the mountains in the distance. Not only have I had the blessings to be in beautiful areas, but I have been able to come in contact with cool species. These countless hours of trying to catch a fish have also allowed me to gain a better sense of being patient and persistent. I wanted to start this forum thread to see what you guys have gained from fishing and the whole lifestyle in general, other than a broken bank account.

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
My dad tells the story of my grandfather taking me across the street from his little house in Placerville to fish in the creek when i was about 5.

"And the boy has been like that every since" he says in his okie humor way.

So i don't know beyond losing the odd girlfriend or job over the years because of it.

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
What has Fishing Done to You?

It has made me log onto the internet.
Made me go broke at times.
Taught me to lie a little.
Made me a boat ho'.
Has made me to want more unneeded gear.
Lose sleep.
Made me tell wife "that rod is my brother's birthday gift".
Made me by a boat.
Turned my garage into tackle storage warehouse.
Made cool BD friends.
Made me realize there are bigger dickheads in the world than I. Thanks BDers'!
Made me blur photos of fish in order to keep "MY" hole a secret.

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
Fishing and surfing had a huge impact on my life, both positively and negatively.

I wore my "Surfing Ruined My Life" t-shirt to the bank and the young teller said "did surfing really ruin your life?", I told her "not really" :D.

• Haha
Reactions: Rude Baits

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Newport Beach Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
I come from a long line of hardcore fishermen and hunters. My grandfather was 50-50 Mex / Apache and his hunting - fishing Buddys were full blooded Apache trackers. They showed me things that I would have never "seen" on my own. I remember hand lining trout on bobbin thread with worms we dug out of some special plants roots. Cool things like that. Survival skills. Ive had alot of experiences in the field and on the water that other people will never experience, and Im very thankful for those times and memories. I was taught to respect nature and really take in your surroundings and use them to your advantage. Be aware. Things can happen awfully fast. I learned respect at an early age... respect your elders... respect nature... and respect yourself. I take these words and live by them. And now Im trying to instill the same reverence for it in my son just like it was passed to me. I love nature... its in our blood.

michael e. bingham

Well-Known "Member"
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Nothing better than spending the day or days on the water its pure AQUA therapy, clears the head , great way to spend time with youre good friends and it puts food on the table , my dad always said the days you fish doesn't count on your life , its a free day

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
It brought me peace and closer to nature and closer to God. It showed me ways to think outside of the box (it's not always WFO). It gave me a way to give back what others did for me: teach young people a hobby to keep them out of trouble, take pride in, and have fun doing.