Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
Any information on the deceased or the other injuries? Seeing that rescue footage brings back some painful memories from my sister’s accident in Mexico. You never think it’s going to happen to you....until it does.

Upvote 0

SteveH20

Oct 27, 2018
CA
Name
SteveH
Boat
No
Any information on the deceased or the other injuries? Seeing that rescue footage brings back some painful memories from my sister’s accident in Mexico. You never think it’s going to happen to you....until it does.

The man killed was a good man and loved fishing in SoCal. It’s not my place to say anything more so I’ll leave it at that. Some fond stories were shared last night after we heard the news. I joined up here as we are trying to piece together what happened.

Reactions: Pablo2fish
Upvote 0

Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I’m a “land lubber” from TN that doesn’t know shit from shinola when it comes to ocean navigation. I do travel to the left coast annually for one trip and entrust my safety to the crew of the Excel. A year ago, I would have been among those criticizing how this could happen.

Then November 11, 2017 happened. I was involved in a tree stand accident that was totally my fault. I fell from 16+ feet shattering my right leg and ankle. For months I beat myself up because I was better than that. I used to paint billboards so heights never bothered me.

But after a year of reflection, I’ve realized a couple things. First, accidents happen to the best of us, even me. I also realized I could have been hurt much, much worse than I was and I now am thankful for good medical care and I’m healthy.

My thoughts now are on the families of ALL involved, especially the fellow who passed. If there is a gofundme page for the deceased, all should consider contributing. Sadly, the investigation will take a long time and the mental wounds of those involved will take even longer to heal.

Upvote 0

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 3, 2009
Santee/ca/usa
Name
Marty
Boat
Lard ass
Here's a prayer for the fisherman that lost his life.

I pray that I might live to fish until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray,
When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep that in His mercy
I be judged big enough to keep.

mrkrabs

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
I’m not going to speculate or point the finger, the Coast Guard’s finger is big enough and will point in the right direction when everything is said and done. I just want to say how incredibly lucky everyone on the Prowler is that this didn’t turn out worse. That damage just above the waterline and with the weight of a very large yacht that could have been pushing it down.... amazing this didn’t turn into a lost vessel with more souls than what this tragedy has already claimed. Thoughts and prayers for those affected and their families.

Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

FishAcquisition

Pithy Statement to make me appear 😎
Sep 19, 2005
La Quinta
Name
Dan
Boat
Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
At that time of night had to be 1/2 dozen guys milling around on deck and another group Yapping in the Galley. Only one guy here has said he was on the boat. Must have been told not to talk which I understand. Still plenty of activity on a sporty then so must be some guys that had a front row seat.

Upvote 0

Jim Todd

Toad
Aug 7, 2017
Yreka
Name
Jim Todd
Boat
State of Jefferson kayak
Is this the same boat? I snapped this picture heading out on a 9 day last October.

4C89C93E-D71C-448A-81EF-418FCF639ECD.jpeg

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    RIP fisherman.

For those of you proficient with MT... is it in realtime or is there any sort of delay? For instance for air traffic, on Flightaware you can track flights in the air but there's usually a delay of a few minutes. A plane can be shown on the flight map a few miles out from the runway but in realtime the plane could already be at the ramp.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    The man killed was a good man and loved fishing in SoCal. It’s not my place to say anything more so I’ll leave it at that. Some fond stories were shared last night after we heard the news. I joined up here as we are trying to piece together what happened.

This makes me profoundly sad. Any of us look forward to those times when we can be on the water with like minded folks, chasing fish, swapping tales, and pushing all the outside noise aside for a while. The “what if’s” never really seem real until a moment like this occurs.

My condolences to you Steve, and of course his family. I’ll pour a sip tonight because all of us lost a brother.

Reactions: Radical Ross
    Upvote 0

FishAcquisition

Pithy Statement to make me appear 😎
    Sep 19, 2005
    La Quinta
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Wow, look at the Coms tower on that thing. Looks like a 1 bedroom apartment.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I cant imagine being any of those at the helm and having to answer questions and own up to someone dieing.

Reactions: salty brain
    Upvote 0

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
    Jul 11, 2004
    San Diego
    www.lawrenceshea.com
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Your Cabo
    We’re looking for passengers and witnesses to this accident. If you are willing to help the investigation please DM me.

The USCG Investigator on this matter is Greg, (619) 572-2904. Please call him if you have any relevant information.

Upvote 0

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Matt Frazier
    Boat
    Need One!
    Wow. Very sad to hear! Wishing the very best for everyone involved and their families. I was just down there for the first time and fished on the Pride, next door to the Prowler. Incredible looking vessel and heard great things about their operation!

20180923_214923.jpg

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.