What happened to SC Surf Fishing?

sulla

Jan 1, 2007
Torrance CA
Name
Sulla
Boat
Party Boat Near You
I just went to check out the surf scene on SC Surf Fishing . Com and was surprised to see it’s closed indefinitely. It says “ thanks for the memories “ so it sounds kind of permanent. Very sad if that is the case. Does anyone know what happened?

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Spaghetti Madness
Dang, that was one of the first forums I was apart of, the best site around for pier fisherman. Last few times on it, there was barely any new threads though. Too bad, Ken Jones is a very knowledgeable guy and put together some great historical articles on the local pier scene. He has a few books on the topic that I’ve enjoyed.
Too bad.

edit: Mixed things up. Was thinking of the wrong site.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
Original owner just was getting tired of the whole thing, did not want to renew.

BY-BY SCSF 😭😭😭

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Dang, that was one of the first forums I was apart of, the best site around for pier fisherman. Last few times on it, there was barely any new threads though. Too bad, Ken Jones is a very knowledgeable guy and put together some great historical articles on the local pier scene. He has a few books on the topic that I’ve enjoyed.
    Too bad.

Ken Jones and Pierfishing.com are still alive and thriving. They're always in need of reporters.

SCSurffishing is/was Jscrib. I stopped posting there around when they switched forum software. I chimed in about a bug and one of the mods told me to write code which I'm far from qualified to do. Too bad I've shared the sand/rail with many great folks from there and won/donated some awesome prizes at their fish offs.

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    Ken Jones and Pierfishing.com are still alive and thriving. They're always in need of reporters.

SCSurffishing is/was Jscrib. I stopped posting there around when they switched forum software. I chimed in about a bug and one of the mods told me to write code which I'm far from qualified to do. Too bad I've shared the sand/rail with many great folks from there and won/donated some awesome prizes at their fish offs.

I’m an idiot. Glad to hear pier fishing.com is still operating. They have been slow. Sucks for scsurfishing that’s where I learned my love for tossing lucky crafts into the surf for buts’.

Reactions: tresher_one
    Upvote 0

sulla

Jan 1, 2007
    Torrance CA
    Name
    Sulla
    Boat
    Party Boat Near You
    Original owner just was getting tired of the whole thing, did not want to renew.

BY-BY SCSF 😭😭😭
    I got the feeling that it was that and the fact that Barred Surf Perch basically disappeared from socal about six years ago. If there are no perch to post about then your left with very little to talk about.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"

Sure you guys wouldn't wanna bring SC under the "BDOUTDOORS" umbrella? They have a pretty fishy user base. Could be an easy way to up your membership numbers on the cheap. Plus the archives would be cool to look back on.

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
    Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Sure you guys wouldn't wanna bring SC under the "BDOUTDOORS" umbrella? They have a pretty fishy user base. Could be an easy way to up your membership numbers on the cheap. Plus the archives would be cool to look back on.

We haven't talked to Scribby to see whats going on yet.

And N.SD has lots of perch still...

Reactions: Butchalito
    Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    I got the feeling that it was that and the fact that Barred Surf Perch basically disappeared from socal about six years ago. If there are no perch to post about then your left with very little to talk about.
    Dang what fish have me and my brother been catching if all the barred surf perch are gone? And whatever you do don’t look at the honeybadger baits Instagram page. Those guys NEVER catch any barred surf perch.

B520F36D-1517-4DEF-8343-5ACFBB966AC1.jpeg

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I used to fish So Cal surf a lot many years ago, but then switched to Baja. It was great fishing, but I also have noticed a gradual drop in the number and quality of the surf perch down there. So it's not only So Cal.

We usually make three day trips, and fish all day and move around a lot. Some days we catch nothing. Go figure.

Upvote 0

gspot

Crazy for Cabo
    Jun 21, 2007
    Orange County
    Name
    George
    Boat
    24' Starcraft Bluewater 240 CC, 17' Boston Whaler
    Bringing the SC Surf fishing under the BD umbrella is a fantastic idea. The current Surf Fishing content on BD isn't that good, but it's something. The SC Surf fishing site was informative and had a pretty loyal following for many years. I fished a lot of their tournaments and was on several winning teams (OC vs SD) and while doing so, made a lot of friends.
    It was my go to during the slow winter months. The beaches weren't crowded, beautiful sunrises, calm water, clean air, and usually non-stop fishing. It's been spotty lately, but that just means you have to adapt and overcome.
    The SC website had a lot of instructional content and was very informative on local conditions. There are a lot of good people on this site. It would be great to rejoin many of those people here on BD.
    Jason, something for you to definitely look into. Thank you.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    There was an admin that was banning a lot of the big contributing members and the owner got tired of dealing with it. There was a discussion about it on SDFish earlier this week.

Upvote 0

fishtacomag

Sep 19, 2003
    huntington beach
    www.fishtacochronicles.com
    Name
    shawn
    Boat
    19" Trophy
    Too bad.
    Ken Jones has a pier fishing website...and still writes a column each issue in Fish Taco Chronicles

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
    Carp, CA, USA
    Name
    Steve T.
    Boat
    soon2B
    Gotta agree with this one.
    I never knew about or posted on the site.
    However, I used to surf fish backside of Rincon and Santa Claus all the time, (as in every weekend), and if I didn't get a BSP by the 2nd or 3rd cast I was out of there. The last couple of years I can't buy a bite.
    What gives?

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Gotta agree with this one.
    I never knew about or posted on the site.
    However, I used to surf fish backside of Rincon and Santa Claus all the time, (as in every weekend), and if I didn't get a BSP by the 2nd or 3rd cast I was out of there. The last couple of years I can't buy a bite.
    What gives?
    The old power plant & 5th street in Oxnard always produced good.

Reactions: Cubeye and repo805
    Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    I got the feeling that it was that and the fact that Barred Surf Perch basically disappeared from socal about six years ago.

Funny you should mention this. RAT and Torrance are my local beaches and I've only caught a handful of walleye and even fewer barred perch in the last 5 years, or so from RAT to the Redondo Beach Pier. Barred perch still seem to be doing well North of King Harbor starting at Hermosa and South of LA Harbor.

The good news is we've been catching more yellowfin croaker and corbina :)

Upvote 0

D-C-B

Feb 16, 2021
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    iwishihadone
    Not new to fishing but new to fishing in South OC. Is there any catching going on from the surf from DoHo Down to San Clemente pier? Been smelling skunk last few times out surfcasting.