What happened in Everett today?

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Chtucker, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Fireball

Fireball Not so New

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    SOLD
    4 people and crab gear in that small of a boat. Maybe 2 people but 4? Just goes to show you can not fix stupid. Sorry someone died but some common sense would have gone a long ways.

goatram and Hoghunter like this.
  2. barely18

barely18 Newbie

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    barely18
    So your saying they deserved what they got and you wouldn't have helped either? I'm just tired of people turning there nose up at people with lesser equipment. There was probably not one good decision made by those guys that day but come on

Clockwork likes this.
  3. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    He's not saying that at all. Just that stupid people do stupid shit and bad things happen. Even bad things happen to those who are prepared, but life is tough for stupid people

I don't think there's a person on this forum that WOULDN'T (thanks Vance) help a boater distress. Then again, many of us are usually prepared for lots of issues.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    TonyG likes this.
  4. Clockwork

Clockwork I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    GW Marlin
    The people I know from this board would have saved them no question. Sadly, circumstances were such that they were not in a position to see them.

It's a risk we all take going out. I think more than anything we are raising a society of people who do not take responsibility for their own actions. They probably assumed help would have been available.

BugeaterInWa and Fireball like this.
  5. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    I know Les/Fireball would have gone above and beyond had he been in a position to help.

It's like the guy who doesn't maintain his boat and heads out with his family and the.motor won't run. Then the guy expects a Good Samaritan to tow him back in because he doesn't want to pay a commercial tow service.

Anyone of us would have helped. There will never be a shortage of those that don't think things through though.

One_Leg, bigdood and kdubinwa like this.
  6. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher

I hope you mean that We wouldn't. I believe everyone here would help as we have many of times

Still doesn't excuse not being a smart boater. I would say something like forgetting to put in the plug.

wdlfbio likes this.
  7. Fireball

Fireball Not so New

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    SOLD
    Anthony,

If this is directed at my post you sadly mistook what I'm saying. You can not fix STUPID!

If I was any where near them or saw them out there I would have kept an eye on them. But if you look at the boat they were on you should be able to see it is a 2 person boat max with crab gear, bait cooler etc... on it. You can always say no but thanks for the offer to go out. People do need to think of what could happen and make smart decisions.

I was ready to run into canadians water a few years back when a Grady got sideswiped in the fog by a tanker leaving the straights. There was another boat a mile from them and we were on standby per the canadian coast guard. I do not care how hot the bite might be I will always put life in front of fishing.

As far as lesser equipment you go with what you can afford but need to be smart about it. I have no issues with any boat that floats, if it is sound and loaded properly.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Good Luck out there and be safe!
    Bud

8. dragonballs

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher

Well said

9. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    No question Bud. His response was inappropriate and ill-informed. He probably doesn't think for a moment we all started out with MUCH lesser equipment (and had far more modest fishing goals). And that we have expanded our range and targets as we upgraded our equipment and added to our experience.

I cringe at the unsafe stuff I see on shrimp days, crab openers, Humpy weekends. Not looking down my nose, thinking back to days when I had that sort of equipment and would have not attempted what I often see.

-tony

EJ Swanny likes this.
  10. dragonballs

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    I remember crabbing on my 18 ft Bayliner with no electronics or even a compass. Got lost in the fog one day and said no more

11. tinmaniac

tinmaniac Member

Name:
    Bob Zombie
    Boat:
    19' Arima Sea Ranger
    I spent many days in a 12'Hi Laker out of Freshwater Bay.One evening the motor quit.We made a sail out of the net and a raincoat.Had a crappy homemade paddle.We were lucky it was an incoming tide.Came inside Observatory rock around 1am.The whole time we were our there my buddy kept mumbling about Green Eyes and how he hoped we would not run into him.

12. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    First time in the salt for me, before I had any boat at all. I was out with another guy in a rented skiff from olson's out of clallam bay. We went out and it fogged in super thick. No wind. I had a cheapo compass and we headed south until we got to the kelp. Then we had to guess if we were east or west of the bay (we had no experience to recognize features). Guessed right based on tides.

Never went back out w/o at least one GPS AND a compass.

-t

13. Calis

Calis Salish for "Kingfisher"

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Bayliner 2855 Ciera
    There is going out with what you have and being smart about it and then there is being a stupid ass. When younger fished Shilshole, often, 2 of us, in my 14 foot aluminum boat, it was all I had, but had life jackets, extra flotation, nav and running lights, and a damn good running engine. Remember meeting another guy once in a 12 foot aluminum, at the launch who was making the run to Jeff head....????.... with none of that stuff.........

14. Mr. Doodles

Mr. Doodles I'm the BIG Dog

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    2002 Trophy "The Doodle Lynn"
    20170723_145413.jpg Here we go again... just gotta test Darwin...
    These guys pull up to the Redondo ramp, cut in front of the line then after being politely told of their mistake continue to back down the launch, not ready gear still in the truck proceed to load gear on the ramp not a single wearable PFD 4 people 2 dogs and all their crap...lets see if they can defeat Darwin....
    It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people can be...

15. eldplanko

eldplanko got the skunk off

Name:
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat:
    Floater
    Won't be the first duck boat to go down in flames. This one will kill a bunch of locals instead a bunch of foreign exchange students.

16. jasper hickman

jasper hickman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    26' sea master, RED BEARD
    There were two boats on the rocks by the navy peir, Saturday when the wind started up around 6pm. Sounded like one was a 19' runabout and one was old glasply cuddy. He managed to towed back to the marina.

The two older folks were pretty shaken up but the old glasply took the beating like a champ, except for the mooring line that was wrapped around the prop....looked to me like it was the same rope that was tied to his mid cleat. Simple mistake could have been a disaster.

The entry to the channel was an absolute shit show for a few hours, some serious wind waves going on!

17. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Yep - I think anyone who grew up in this area started with some sort of a leaky 8-12' aluminum/fiber-glass/wood tub.... with a suspect blender hanging off the back..Three things I would never forget...PFD's, oars, and a bailer.

One quickly learns their limit...even as a 10 yr old......

Stupid, inexperience, and clown juice is a deadly trifecta mix....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017