What happened at the bait barge

Joe Bal

Aug 9, 2010
Menifee, Ca
It only takes one dipshit to ruin it for everybody they always i mean always hook it up and now look . Well thank to the dick that put fat scoops to an end
I do not think the guy was pissed because he was shorted, he was pissed because when he told the guys on the barge he felt the scoop was a little light they told him to get off the barge then called him a asshole. He said he was going to call and complain about the way he was treated and not that he was shorted.

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
USDA approved & calibrated scales, every bucket must have a valid yearly weight sticker to ensure everyone gets the correct amount for the fees paid. The business owner can not absorb these costs so they will be passed on to the consumer.
To help with this a membership to each BB is required before you can buy any bait. A yearly membership fee will be submitted via PayPal with the online application. To save time setting this up, the state will use the ACA website to collect and forward the membership information to the F&W department.
Or
don't air a minor problem on a busy forum, instead, break out a $10 bill to get the bait you need to fill the last few bait tubes...

Reactions: Larmo
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Life is short....don't sweat the little stuff.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I'd go easy on Gary...... I don't think for a second he's a bad guy at all. He just made a bad rash decision before thinking it through on this one IMO.

I wouldn't get too worked up just yet. I have no idea or insight on what's taking place, but my hunch is this will only be done for those who want bait in a bucket, and which will be used for dead bait, as that way this process wont effect the end use.

I'm pretty sure that the private boaters will still get the scoops dished out just as they have before. I'm not kissing EB ass here at all, but I think that everyone should reflect on what we have here in SD as far as live bait goes, and really be cool to these guys when pulling up and getting bait.

I had a buddy (going way waaaaaay back here) when I was in grade school who's dad I believe worked and was one of the lead guys on the bait boat for EB. His son and my old buddy Jerry Majors (in case EB is reading this), went on to work these boats just as his dad did, and even though I haven't seen nor heard from Jerry in many many years, I am pretty sure he still works on the bait boats as one of the top dogs. It's a long and grueling job working those boats and keeping us and the sport boats supplied day after day!

They might not always get it right and perfect, but day in and day out what they do and supply for us on a daily basis is pretty amazing to be honest. Just from my own experience over many years of visiting the barge is that EB does aim to please. Just be cool with them and treat them right and they will take care of you 9 times out of 10.

My suggestion to anyone would be that if for whatever reason you feel you were way shorted and you feel strongly about it, then bring it up in a very nice and non confrontational manor and it's likely to get fixed. If it's not, I personally wouldn't make a huge deal about it, because just how far off could it truly be? What some might consider a light scoop is more than likely a truly legit scoop by weight, and all the other times they were really just being generous and taking good care of us. ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:
A lot of guys want bait in a bucket this time of year.Go easy ? lame

Upvote 0

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
Jul 22, 2008
SD County
Name
Randall
Boat
27x10
On the positive side of this, think about how many deckies and fishermen alike just found another use for their triple beam scales.:D

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
A lot of guys want bait in a bucket this time of year.Go easy ? lame

And just what is it that strikes you as being so lame?

The bucket guys have nothing to worry about, because you will still be able to get your bait in a bucket and not have to worry about being shorted..... what's the problem?

The guys that might have to worry would be the guys needing live bait. But seeing as how EB has built a solid reputation on providing good solid live bait for countless years, it's doubtful they will do anything to hinder that. I think they take great pride in providing the best bait they can within the demands given to them.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Reactions: KnotyBuoyz
Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Giving a tip before it is served is a bribe not a tip.. I guess I bribe them a lot.:frehya2:

I don't know how it is with you guys, but they always ask me if it looks okay, if you ask them for another pass or dip they have always done so, no problem

we went for some bait on a Sunday about a half hour before dark and no one came out to help us, so after a few minutes I went to the office. I didn't go to the door I was standing on the receiver and i could see that no one was on the couch and no one was at the table and there was a sigh on the door that said, "went to get dinner, be back in 10 min." so we kicked it and waited, and waited, and waited... so after 45 min. I was going to leave him a note and tell him to call me. when i walked up to the door I could see him laying on the floor sleeping. maybe i should have been pissed but i thought it was funny, if i would have walked up to the door in the first place I would have seen him. about a week later Gary was working( he always remembered me because my bait tank was made from a beer keg) when he came out he was all apologetic for taking so long to get out there, I said no problem at least you didn't have a sign on the door saying you be back in ten while you were sleeping. i told him the story and said man did i ever feel stupid, it took me that long before walking up to the door. he didn't find it funny. those guys have to put up with a lot of shit from people, put in some fucked up hours for shit pay... and they are always super cool (they are to me at least) why would you want to torture them? I wonder how you asked for more bait, because they have never hesitated to give me more if I asked for another pass.

Upvote 0

desertbonito

Jul 15, 2009
Redlands, CA
Name
Allen
Boat
Triumph 170CC
I'm just happy as hell to have a very squared-away bait operation available any damn time I want to go fishing. The guys on the barges have always been unfailingly decent and generous--they take care of me, and I take care of them. A few "loaves upon the water" will come back your way ten-fold.

Reactions: Larmo
Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
went there tonight for bait...now you need membership and a Bait Club Card -- like Costco

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Once again the year of snivelling bitches continues.

There's a way to talk up a guy selling bait, just like there is a positive way to help out a warden to help you get on with what you're out there for.

If you didn't like how you were treated at EB, maybe you should have put down the controls of your Xbox and gone out and made your own.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
A solution for EB hand the complainers a complimentary sabiki and tell them to catch there own lobster bait

Then they would bitch about having to bring a rod on the boat when they were only going to bring hoop nets, bitch about having to rinse down their rod, complain it would lessen the time they have to hoop, moan about having to bring a torpedo weight, moan that the 1 oz torpedo weight they brought was too lite and that EB should have told them that the current was too strong for just a 1 oz torpedo and they should have used a 2 oz

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
Then they would bitch about having to bring a rod on the boat when they were only going to bring hoop nets, bitch about having to rinse down their rod, complain it would lessen the time they have to hoop, moan about having to bring a torpedo weight, moan that the 1 oz torpedo weight they brought was too lite and that EB should have told them that the current was too strong for just a 1 oz torpedo and they should have used a 2 oz
No kidding! I find it easier to catch bait at night anyways. throw a light in the water, it attracts the bugs in the water, then the small bait fish, then come the mackerel. Throw the sibiki that has glow beads on it, and you'll have two dozen macs in 30 minutes or less. Nice fresh bloody yummy bait for those bugs! And it didn't cost a dime!

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
End it already!!!! It was a stupid post from the get go!

Reactions: finishright
Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat
Kathleen
Read this thread and you will understand....

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/everingham-sd-bay-needs-a-customer-service-lesson.566194/

I know a lot of you guys are going to jump me on this but I need to report to the forum my experience last night.

This is our 7th year hooping on the big bay and every year we buy several full scoops of sardines to chop and fill our bait tubes throughout the six month season. This has happened many times and I know what to expect when I pay $35 for a full scoop and I always leave a $5 tip. What I usually get is a nice five gallon bucket with more than enough bait to fill my 20 tubes. I usually have 2 one gallon ziplock bags of unchopped sardines remaining that I freeze and use on the next trip.

Last night my 42 year old nephew got the bucket filled and he paid. When he came back to the boat I looked at it and remarked "That's a full scoop?" he said yes. It looked short. We moved and chopped and filled tubes and we came up short. Not even enough to fill all 20 tubes. I'd say that short of weighing what they give you, filling tubes gives you a pretty accurate idea of the size of the scoop.

So here's where Everingham Brothers let me down last night. I went back up to the two young guys working and said that they had shorted me. They got excited and told me to leave as well as saying that I got what I paid for. We went back and forth and the only way these guys were going to add more sardines to my bucket was if I paid them $25. The subject of calling the boss came up and I was all for it but alas he didn't answer. A second try was made and still no answer. So I tell these guys that I'd like to know their names because this wasn't the end to this. They both refused to give me their names. When I was leaving the shorter guy with a buzz cut called me a fucking asshole.

I got home around 1am and sent an email to [email protected] but haven't yet got a response. I want you guys to know that I usually am not a complainer. When something as obvious as this happens I just have to say something though. They should have just added enough sardines to my bucket so I could fill all 20 of my tubes and I would have left happy. Instead I'm writing this flaming post on Bloody Decks which is something I'd rather not have to do.

Lastly, The bait barge has a monopoly on live bait here and from my experience with them last night, they know it.

Date: Friday October 24
Time: Around 6:30 pm
Pretty soon bar code strips will be installed on every bait.

Reactions: Kareem Korn
Upvote 0

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
are the
Read this thread and you will understand....

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/everingham-sd-bay-needs-a-customer-service-lesson.566194/

I know a lot of you guys are going to jump me on this but I need to report to the forum my experience last night.

This is our 7th year hooping on the big bay and every year we buy several full scoops of sardines to chop and fill our bait tubes throughout the six month season. This has happened many times and I know what to expect when I pay $35 for a full scoop and I always leave a $5 tip. What I usually get is a nice five gallon bucket with more than enough bait to fill my 20 tubes. I usually have 2 one gallon ziplock bags of unchopped sardines remaining that I freeze and use on the next trip.

Last night my 42 year old nephew got the bucket filled and he paid. When he came back to the boat I looked at it and remarked "That's a full scoop?" he said yes. It looked short. We moved and chopped and filled tubes and we came up short. Not even enough to fill all 20 tubes. I'd say that short of weighing what they give you, filling tubes gives you a pretty accurate idea of the size of the scoop.

So here's where Everingham Brothers let me down last night. I went back up to the two young guys working and said that they had shorted me. They got excited and told me to leave as well as saying that I got what I paid for. We went back and forth and the only way these guys were going to add more sardines to my bucket was if I paid them $25. The subject of calling the boss came up and I was all for it but alas he didn't answer. A second try was made and still no answer. So I tell these guys that I'd like to know their names because this wasn't the end to this. They both refused to give me their names. When I was leaving the shorter guy with a buzz cut called me a fucking asshole.

I got home around 1am and sent an email to [email protected] but haven't yet got a response. I want you guys to know that I usually am not a complainer. When something as obvious as this happens I just have to say something though. They should have just added enough sardines to my bucket so I could fill all 20 of my tubes and I would have left happy. Instead I'm writing this flaming post on Bloody Decks which is something I'd rather not have to do.

Lastly, The bait barge has a monopoly on live bait here and from my experience with them last night, they know it.

Date: Friday October 24
Time: Around 6:30 pm
are these live baits?

Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
I appreciate the bait in San Diego as much as the next guy. In fact, when I moved to DP 15 years ago the bait concession was run by a bunch of pot heads who could not be counted on for live bait. It was awful. Now that EB has taken over it is sooo much better. Having said that, bait hauling is a MULTI MILLION dollar business. They are not doing it for the good of the lobster hoopers or for the private boater. hey are doing it because it's a very lucrative CASH business.

I agree with those who say the bait scoopers are inconsistent. Half the time I look in my tank and think, "That's all". Conversely last week in DP , the guy gave me twice what I expected. It's very inconsistent.

If you remember a few years back you did not get a receipt. What business do you pay cash and the proprietor does not provide a receipt? If nothing else, how do you know that the employees are not pocketing some of the cash? If I am not mistaken this was changed after an audit. Now the bait guy writes up a receipt and then gives you the bait. We are all better for it.

The next step in accountability is to weigh the bait. I am not a hooper and don't buy bait this way. Having said that, it enhances accountability for the bait hauler and also protects them from the customer who believes he has been shorted.

I applaud their willingness to change.

Upvote 0