What fish can't be fillet on the water?

Calz20

Jun 16, 2014
Name
Brad
Boat
Parker 1800
Just saw a post on Inshore reports board, where a fellow BDer received a citation for cleaning a Sheephead on the water. I had no idea and can't find info in the regs. Does anybody know what fish this law applies to?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Ed Y

Sep 19, 2003
Huntington Beach
Name
Ed
Boat
BW Montauk 170
section 27.65 in the regs defines size limits for fillets. If the fish has a size limit, but there is not a fillet size limit, you can't fillet it.

Sheephead, cabezon, greenlings and leopard sharks fall into that category from what I can tell. There might be others that I'm missing

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
section 27.65 in the regs defines size limits for fillets. If the fish has a size limit, but there is not a fillet size limit, you can't fillet it.

Sheephead, cabezon, greenlings and leopard sharks fall into that category from what I can tell. There might be others that I'm missing
I heard ,That Halibut , had to stay Whole too,

Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
Halibut can be filleted:

(6) California halibut taken from or possessed aboard a vessel south of Point Arena (Mendocino County): Fillets must be a minimum of 16 and three-quarter inches in length and shall bear the entire skin intact. A fillet from a California halibut (flesh from one entire side of the fish with the entire skin intact) may not be cut in half fillets. However, a fillet may be cut lengthwise in a straight line along the midline of the fillet where the fillet was attached to the vertebra (backbone) of the fish only if the two pieces of a fillet remain joined along their midline for a length of at least two inches at one end of the fillet.

From my experience, if the halibut is just keeper size (22"minimum), I would say don't fillet it. The minimum 16 3/4 inch length for the fillet requires it be cut all the way up around the gill plate up to the top of the head and on down to the insertion of the tail fin rays. One bad wave during the fillet cutting and you will have a short filet. Also, if you accidentally separate the filet quarters, each quarter could count as a full half fillet toward your limit, depending on how the warden feels that day; after all, the regs direct that the two pieces remain joined for at least 2 inches.

Upvote 0

GRUMPKILLER

captain
May 11, 2009
Hawaii
Name
Edgar
Boat
25' Parker
I almost got a ticket a few years ago for having some fish filleted on board from the Dfg at the launch ramp! Now I just don't fillet anything until i get home to be safe!! The last thing I want is to get a ticket after a great day on the water!!!

Reactions: Fishingggg
Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
You guys are lucky. In the Gulf of Mexico, no fish can be filleted. Everything has to be head and tail attached until landed at the dock.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Halibuts are definitely allowed. I wonder if they got them for not leaving the each entire half intact.
I am not sure the whole side has to be intact. The problem is if you quarter them all 4 quarters have to make the minimum fillet length. For the belly quarters to be legal size it would probably need to be a fish quite a bit over legal size. They also might count the 4 fillets as 2 fish.

Upvote 0

Ed Y

Sep 19, 2003
Huntington Beach
Name
Ed
Boat
BW Montauk 170
I am not sure the whole side has to be intact. The problem is if you quarter them all 4 quarters have to make the minimum fillet length. For the belly quarters to be legal size it would probably need to be a fish quite a bit over legal size. They also might count the 4 fillets as 2 fish.

I think it really depends on how the warden is feeling. Technically the regs say you have to keep it intact (they can be split but must be held together by at least two inches at one end). If he's feeling generous, he can let it slide, but he doesn't have to.

Realistically, I'm all for ensuring folks are not taking shorts, but some regs (like the Halibut one are goofy). The real goofy one, though, is whitefish. There is no minimum size on whitefish, but the fillets still need to be 6.5". Huh?

In any case, I tend to bleed/gut on the water and fillet at home (just to avoid ever changing regs, lol)

Reactions: makairaa
Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I think it really depends on how the warden is feeling. Technically the regs say you have to keep it intact (they can be split but must be held together by at least two inches at one end). If he's feeling generous, he can let it slide, but he doesn't have to.

Realistically, I'm all for ensuring folks are not taking shorts, but some regs (like the Halibut one are goofy). The real goofy one, though, is whitefish. There is no minimum size on whitefish, but the fillets still need to be 6.5". Huh?

In any case, I tend to bleed/gut on the water and fillet at home (just to avoid ever changing regs, lol)
I agree with the goofy regs part. Not that I keep them anyways, but to find leopard shark regs you have to look under the rockfish regs.

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
It is recommended that if you filet a halibut that you keep the carcass onboard until you reach the dock.

Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
I guess some posters didn't read my post before they wrote theirs. Mine was taken directly from the DFW Ocean Regs (new 2016 reads like the old 2015)

Halibut can be filleted:

(6) California halibut taken from or possessed aboard a vessel south of Point Arena (Mendocino County): Fillets must be a minimum of 16 and three-quarter inches in length and shall bear the entire skin intact. A fillet from a California halibut (flesh from one entire side of the fish with the entire skin intact) may not be cut in half fillets. However, a fillet may be cut lengthwise in a straight line along the midline of the fillet where the fillet was attached to the vertebra (backbone) of the fish only if the two pieces of a fillet remain joined along their midline for a length of at least two inches at one end of the fillet.

From my experience, if the halibut is just keeper size (22"minimum), I would say don't fillet it. The minimum 16 3/4 inch length for the fillet requires it be cut all the way up around the gill plate up to the top of the head and on down to the insertion of the tail fin rays. One bad wave during the fillet cutting and you will have a short filet. Also, if you accidentally separate the filet quarters, each quarter could count as a full half fillet toward your limit, depending on how the warden feels that day; after all, the regs direct that the two pieces remain joined for at least 2 inches.

And again, the skin must be left on!! Any variation is a violation of paragraph (6) and can be the grounds for a citation. A short fillet is a short fillet, even if you have the carcass!!

Deckhands on party boats are supposed to know what species have restrictions. But having said that, you are the one walking on the dock with the bag of fillets and fish. If you don't know the regs, you shouldn't have those fillets and fish in a bag in your hand. And yes, deckhands and party boat captains/owners have been arrested, charged, tried, and found guilty for their transgressions.

Reactions: makairaa
Upvote 0

PD41

Jul 15, 2014
Redondo
Name
Butch
Boat
20' Bertram
I guess some posters didn't read my post before they wrote theirs. Mine was taken directly from the DFW Ocean Regs (new 2016 reads like the old 2015)

What part of this is hard to understand ?
You can not 1/4 a Halibut. 2 fillets and 2" of meat attached per side.
I saw a deckhand 1/4 a Butt last fall ? Why do it ?

Upvote 0