What ducer

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I have 2 each transducers. 2 Garmin MFD 8610xsv and 1040xs.

1) B175M-Broken

2) TM185HW (same as the B175HW but transom mounted.)

My B175M took a shit on me this year. Its a thru hull and I need to replace. I'm considering swapping it out with a B175L just because I think it will do better at reading structure then the B175M. Then just use my 185HW for salmon, tuna, rockfish.

I'm interested in other opinion's or different options that I could be missing before I replace.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    What size boat?I have a a ad on this site for a SS75M for sale.20 degree tilt.Read the DSL at 1600 ft.Was just not designed for hulls over 40ft.Tom

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    What size boat?I have a a ad on this site for a SS75M for sale.20 degree tilt.Read the DSL at 1600 ft.Was just not designed for hulls over 40ft.Tom
    Your ducer won’t fill his hole. Yours is a 600w, and only about 2” vs his 4” 175.

and the metals are different, and if you moor in salt for any period of time you don’t want to start going there

Upvote 0

easydoesit86

nubbie
    Apr 6, 2008
    lacey wa usa
    Name
    maarten
    Boat
    22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
    I've been looking for a low narrow beam ducer for a while now, just don't think they can make em. Must have to do with the beams or something. Just seems all the low Hz ducer come in a wide beam

Reactions: A-K
    Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    I've been looking for a low narrow beam ducer for a while now, just don't think they can make em. Must have to do with the beams or something. Just seems all the low Hz ducer come in a wide beam
    Whole different ball game but some of the commercial stuff I've used is down to 10 degrees or slightly less in 38 kHz so they can make it. Not sure about the sport boat market though. Personally I felt 120 kHz was one of the better freq's to use which was good out to 120 or a bit better fathoms.

Reactions: Genie Aye
    Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320

The B175M beam angle is 16-11 degrees

The B175L beam angle is 32-21 degrees

The cone is tighter on the M. Would the M mark structure better then the L? Or vise versus?

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Also it could be worth a try contacting Fusion or Lunde or Mackey in Seattle. They’re kind of commercial orientated but I’d bet they could give you decent info what‘s available. Price probably wouldn’t be much different if any from wherever you look. Radar Marine Electronics would be good also. I think they do a fair amount of Bristol Bay work so might be more tuned to smaller boats.

Reactions: easydoesit86
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Not sure... but I think the narrow beam/low fx is the best for bottom discrimination. Could be wrong... hopefully someone will correct me. Looking as well...
    This is correct according to my understanding. You have better resolution because your energy density is higher with the narrower beam. It increases to the square. This doesn't matter much in shallow water but it becomes much more prevalent the deeper you are.

Reactions: A-K
    Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

• Jun 21, 2013
    Seabeck
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    2022 Pursuit OS325
    I'm pretty happy with my B175M. I was pretty impressed when I could follow undersized crab thrown overboard all the way to the bottom in 100' water.

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I'm pretty happy with my B175M. I was pretty impressed when I could follow undersized crab thrown overboard all the way to the bottom in 100' water.

The B175M is good, I ran it for 3 years before it broke. But the 185HW is better, wider cone, better overall for NW fishing (my opinion).

That said I might just replace it with another B175M for deep water fishing.

Reactions: Hot_Pursuit
    Upvote 0