What does yellowtail and white seabass taste like.

slapp

Jul 16, 2015
Name
slapp
Boat
megayacht
I'm looking to see if anyone knows how the halibut bite is and the best way to catch them in san quintin . I'm also wondering what white seabass and yellowtail taste like. I've never eaten them but always see people catch and talk about them so I would like personal feedback on the taste of whiteseabass and yellowtail thanks.

Jan 30, 2012
Riverside CA
Name
Emmet
Boat
Big Buckn Boat
welcome to the forum. Yellowtail has alot of the same qualities and texture as other oily fish like tuna or dorado. Not the exact same flavor but the similar a bit fishier. I personally dont care for eating it unless I smoke it. White seabass reminds me of a cross between mild bottom fish and oily tuna/yellowtail. Milder than tuna but more fishy than lingcod or halibut. Good way to catch halibut in SQ is to drift in the bay or out by the island can produce good results. Best of luck and welcome.

slapp

Jul 16, 2015
Name
slapp
Boat
megayacht
welcome to the forum. Yellowtail has alot of the same qualities and texture as other oily fish like tuna or dorado. Not the exact same flavor but the similar a bit fishier. I personally dont care for eating it unless I smoke it. White seabass reminds me of a cross between mild bottom fish and oily tuna/yellowtail. Milder than tuna but more fishy than lingcod or halibut. Good way to catch halibut in SQ is to drift in the bay or out by the island can produce good results. Best of luck and welcome.

slapp

Jul 16, 2015
Name
slapp
Boat
megayacht
Ok thank's so much for the information guys.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
wsb is one of the best fish in our area(baja southern cal) and yellow tail is great too but needs better care to remain good for more then a few days.If you get one open the gill plate and look at the gill rakes and cut through a couple of them...this bleeds out a lot of the blood.Second unless it is mid winter here get them on ice or even better a slush of a little sea water and ice...keep reading here you'll see some people that do an excellent job and they will have pictures.Third once you have filleted them as soon as possible cut off all the darker meat and any patches of skin or the silvery lining that is the connective tissue holding the skin to the meat.If you get one bag of fillets home throw them in the freezer for a few hours till they stiffen but not freeze solid....putting 20 pounds of fill
ets in the fridge will keep the middle too warm for too long. Then eat what you want immediately ,like for dinner that night and it is delicious.What you won't be eating in the next 48 hours put in the freezer in bags with no air or eat VERY SOON. Like in less then a week.Cause after catching a few yellows you will want to catch more. Yellow tail are prolific and in no danger of being over fished but you don't need five 20-30 pound fish unless you have a huge family ...let a few go so there will be some tackle busters for the future.
A great way to enjoy YT is a very hot skillet ,coat the yellows in a spice rub of your choice either bought or home made, add just enough olive oil to to coat the pan( the oil should start to smoke in less then 30 second or your pan isn't hot enough) then add the fish as soon as the oil is added.sear til the edges are getting slightly toasted a crunchy brown if the fish is 3/4 inch thick and turn a few times, A squeeze of key lime juice and enjoy.

Reactions: strackle99

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Yellows are my 2nd favorite fish to eat. Firm white boneless filets. Lends it self to anything from sushi to fish chowder. My favorite is fresh grilled or seared.

WSB is just heaven.

Not sure about the "fishy" comment above, both taste great if even mildly taken care of.

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Civichi, any place in SQ will make it from your fresh yt fillets , it's the best ,Jardines does a great job, halibit a little sweeter than the cousin's from Alaska, have f un

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Civichi, any place in SQ will make it from your fresh yt fillets , it's the best ,Jardines does a great job, halibit a little sweeter than the cousin's from Alaska, have f un

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Our Halibut is good but not as good as Alaskan Halibut,maybe the colder water ? WSB is excellent.Yellowtail is ok but sometimes definitely fishy.I usually release Yellows.If i keep one i make jerky out of it or smoke it.

PescadorJim

Aug 1, 2005
San Bruno, BCS (full time)
Name
Jim Anderson
Boat
21.5 Triumph / Moosea
Anybody that has to smoke yellowtail to like it is not preparing it right. Never freeze but eat fresh. Sashimi and sushi is the best there is. My favorite is to grill with a very hot grill (like 500 degrees) and spray a light coat of Pam or Olive oil on the grill, sprinkle with a little lemon pepper and grill about 1 1/2 minute per side. Very much the same as searing in a hot pan. The problem most people have is that they over cook it. My new favorite is to soak the fillets in terayaki sauce for about 30 minutes while the grill is getting hot and then do the same thing as normal.
When you have eaten yellowtail prepared properly it is hard to want to eat any other fish from the sea.

Reactions: freddyloan

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
Jan 28, 2009
SoCal and Victoria, BC
Name
Jeff
Boat
63 Nordhavn
Yellowtail is great unless you cook it 30 seconds too long then it isn't nearly as good. I'm convinced that those that say it isn't good are just over cooking it. Take care of it in the boat and cook correctly and its killer. I vacuum seal and freeze and its still great months later.

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Some people, even great fishermen, just don't like fish that taste like fish, give me the yt civiche and Tecate ,some tortillas, I'm not going anywhere.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Welcome to BD

As for how the fish tastes... just like all fish, it tastes like shit.... give me a tri tip although one of my favorite things to eat smells like fish

Reactions: stairman

armand

Aug 27, 2007
norwalk
Name
chucklehead
Boat
Boston Whaler Raider
Yellowtail on grill cooked hot and fast is good and smoked slow is great, white sea bass is best tasting next to california halibut in my opinion.