PENN

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
Sorry that you had an issue, but that is definitely not the norm with these reels.
Hundreds of these reels are in use as loaners/rentals in the San Diego fleet, both long-range and short-range, fished straight out of the box, with no mods.
As for Cal Sheets, he is indeed amazing, there is no such thing as a reel he can't add something to.

Seaforth rentals
View attachment 1124824View attachment 1124824
Do you know what rods those rentals are?

Fred's

May 2, 2007
sf bay area
Name
Graz
Boat
21 trophy
You may want to consider sending it to Cal's to get blueprinted. Out of the box, I was only able to get about 12# of drag before starting to lose freespool. After the blueprint, I can get over 25+ without losing any freespool.
I get 18-19lbs with freespool out of two, out the box, must have been something wrong with yours, no need sending them anywhere

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Do you know what rods those rentals are?

There is a picture of the rental rack on their website, but its kind of hard to tell what the rods are.

1911Nate

Jan 18, 2021
Long Beach California
Name
Nathan
Boat
None
I just picked one up to be my yoyo rig and deep depths reel. Was recommended as its great for bft or yft, great for yoyoing yellowtails and a good choice for fishing rockfish at 60+ fathoms. Seen a lot of great reviews and plIm confident my experience will be the same. Paired it with a Daiwa Proteus BOAT 80XHF 30-60 line 65-120lb braid. Lmk how i did?

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
As Steve called it to me on one of my trips with him, I stole the saying because I liked it alot. The 40 is the most versatile reel you could have in your so cal offshore aresnal. From casting jigs, to yo yo iron, to flatfalling, to flylining or rubber band sinker rig, it literallyy does everything you could need on an offshore trip. I have my 40 loaded with 80lb braid connected to a bimini twist' 80 lb wind on leader that I either tie with or can crimp if needed. I alot of times set mine with 28 lbs of drag at full and just work my way up to it overtime. Especially if I have 100lb top shot I don't hesitate to use 28lbs of drag and low gear towards the end of a fight.

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
There are quite a few commercial fisherman who fish straight 80lb braid too short flouro leaders of 80lb and a popper or jig with the 40Ns. Fishing these rigs as a 80lb set up. I think that alone should be a testament to what these reels are capable of. The guys at Kens Custom reels swear by the Fathoms and they say the only limiting factor of the reel is capacity for 80lb on bigger fish. They are truly the one reel you can buy and not have a use for it in your arsenal. Hats off to Penn for pretty much reinventing the old school 113H (by that I mean size, not internals) into a modern fish killing tool that can perform a multitude of tasks for any style of fishing. Bravo.

Im not saying this as I am personally partial to Penn, but the fact the reels continue to exceed expectations. That’s the part that I believe keeps fisherman looking at Penn for reliable products and keeps them as the equivalent of a house hold brand in Sportfishing.

Cody B

Almost A Member
Feb 21, 2018
So Cal
Name
Cody
Boat
NA
In the broadest and most general way, for SoCal/Baja type fishing, the FTH40NLD2 is good for 50-60-80 pound topshots [60 being the sweet spot], and ideal for 50-150 pound tuna.
Certainly plenty of tuna bigger than that, including a bunch over 200 pounds, have been caught with 40N's, but if you know in advance that cow-grade fish will be around, bumping up to at least a 16VISX is a good idea.
What pound line/topshot do you recommend for the 16VISX? Minimum and maximum you would use this reel for? Thinking about picking one up for next season.
Thanks,

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
You get what you pay for with reels. Same for every manufacturer. You might feel good short term because you saved $200, but whats $200 when it comes to bft fishing...
Lmfao, that’s the thing about these reels, they’re performing well past the standard $300 mark, and hold up beautifully. Between Kens and PLSF, they both claim the only repairs they’ve ever needed to do are bearings. Ken had the reels from the Searcher as well I might add, and I don’t recall them being chinsey on their bluefin fishing. My biggest fish so far was a 213 on a 40N, and I never felt under gunned. These are reels lasting a long term for the three bill mark.

Also amazes me how people always bring price first into fishing. Allen Fey is still killing BFT with a 113H and a 20T, I don’t think money should be your first worry, but the actual quality of your equipment.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
What pound line/topshot do you recommend for the 16VISX? Minimum and maximum you would use this reel for? Thinking about picking one up for next season.
Thanks,

As far as minimum, probably 80-pound braid; if you can get by with lighter braid, you can use a smaller reel.
Maximum would probably be 100-pound braid; anything heavier and your line capacity goes way down.
I suppose if I would mostly be bait fishing with the 16VISX, I would go with the 80-pound, and if mostly going with flatfall-type jigs I would go the 100-pound.
If the fish are less than 75 pounds, this reel is a bit of overkill, and once they hit the 300-pound mark, the reel can handle it, but you may run out of line.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Lmfao, that’s the thing about these reels, they’re performing well past the standard $300 mark, and hold up beautifully. Between Kens and PLSF, they both claim the only repairs they’ve ever needed to do are bearings. Ken had the reels from the Searcher as well I might add, and I don’t recall them being chinsey on their bluefin fishing. My biggest fish so far was a 213 on a 40N, and I never felt under gunned. These are reels lasting a long term for the three bill mark.

Also amazes me how people always bring price first into fishing. Allen Fey is still killing BFT with a 113H and a 20T, I don’t think money should be your first worry, but the actual quality of your equipment.

That would be Alan Fay, owner of the El Capitan?

Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Very nice summary, but it brings up a question I encounter often in online discussions of reels in this line capacity category.
Many anglers don't really have a budget restriction, and recognize the superior design of the FTH40NLD2, but want something a little more refined-looking.
I get e-mails that read something like: "I am considering a Fathom FTH40NLD2 or a [other brand reel over $500-$600 retail]".
When I mention that they should definitely consider a Torque TRQ40NLD2, the response is often some version of "I never thought of that model".
As anybody who actually owns one will tell you, the TRQ40NLD2 is an absolutely phenomenal reel.
Any explanation as to why it is not immediately near the top of the discussion list when budget restrictions are not in play?
I know it's been discussed before, because I've read it, but can't find it.

Could you again, tell us the difference between the FTH40NLD2 and the TRQ40NLD2? The drag system and material appear to be the same.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I know it's been discussed before, because I've read it, but can't find it.

Could you again, tell us the difference between the FTH40NLD2 and the TRQ40NLD2? The drag system and material appear to be the same.

Its a popular topic and bears repeating.
Torque vs. Fathom:
Machined/anodized aluminum frame vs. Diecast/painted aluminum frame
Upgraded ball-bearings [plus an additional BB] vs. standard-grade BB's.
Torque has covered/sealed drag [keeps salt/gunk etc. out]
The drag system and material itself is the same
Made in USA vs. offshore build

Reactions: Cubeye
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
Torque vs. Fathom:
Would it be possible for Penn to start reworking the cams for a better free spool? I know it provides CalSheets business but I believe it would honestly sell the Torque LDs a lot better.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Would it be possible for Penn to start reworking the cams for a better free spool? I know it provides CalSheets business but I believe it would honestly sell the Torque LDs a lot better.

It would be difficult to add a lot of hand work at the factory floor level, the cost tends to skyrocket.
Take whatever Cal Sheets charges, and figure 75% of that number when done with factory efficiencies.
Add that to wholesale cost; it adds up fast.

Reactions: Sawmill killer

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Torque vs. Fathom:
Would you happen to know where that extra ball bearing goes?

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Would you happen to know where that extra ball bearing goes?

Not offhand, would have to look at the schematic with a very good pair of reading glasses!

Reactions: Cubeye

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
One of my Fathom 40 nld2 sits on my bigger Tuna jig stick, a UC Zeus 3. Loaded with 80# metered braid. My other Fathom 40 nld2 rides on my 8'0" UC Premium Terminator, also loaded with 80# braid, for sinker rig and fly-lining 60-80#.

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
I am the oddball here. First off I sent my Fathum 40 to Cal Sheets for Blue Printing. The I filled it up with 65# solid spectra, about 450 yards. I use it for the long soak with 40# or 50# topshots. It is that extra reel I take for a specific use.