What do you think of this as a Wahoo Bomb?

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Weighs 4.5oz. Has a Southern Tuna Hook.

Its longer than a normal bomb. 8.5"
IMG_20151216_125456225.jpg

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I like 'em!

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
Forgive me for asking but wouldn't it be better to go shorter instead of longer, to get the hook closer to the likely grab spot? It looks sweet though.

Reactions: Wicky Wicky
Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Looks great, but 8.5 inches is too long for a bomb and too light to troll with.

I'm not sure I agree, Bob. I think we'd have to fish them and see.

My take is that wahoo seem to always hit what they perceive to be the back end of the prey. A longer bomb (within reason) seems more likely that the wahoo gets the hook in its mouth and doesn't accidentally hit the line.

I'll fish one John!

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
That will get bit John!!! where did those come from and how much $$ for one.

These are my new Fishdog Prototypes

View attachment 642470

Gary, those look pretty smoking too! I like what I see, with the swivel at the front end. I don't fish either bombs or jigs with wire. Instead, I use 200lb fluoro. For that reason I don't like bombs that come wired by default. Another reason why, when I have bought bombs at all (I am a jig guy, dyed in the wool), I have gravitated to the Captain Jimmy Bombs.

I have to say, all three of these desaigns, John's, Gary's, and of course Jimmy's, seem like they ought to be pretty fishy.

I have also seen the JRI bombs get hammered quite well. They have a great design too. I just prefer un-wired bombs...again, on those rare occasions that I throw a bomb.

Without any desire to hijack in any way, the one lure that I have seen to be the most irresistible to wahoo, day in and day out, is a 200g Raider design I have bought from Guy at Ringed hooks, in a metallic pink/purple color, almost fuschia. The downside on that model is that the color gets bit off almost immediately. The upside is that that the color gets bit off almost immediately!

Gary, if you can figure out a way to duplicate THAT color, preferably in a more durable finish, I have about 30 jigs I need you to repaint for me!

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Gary,

Those teddy bears are going to get destroyed! You are an evil man. :p

Reactions: fishdoggary
Upvote 0

fishordie

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Yo John,

I love the fact you are trying something new. A few folks, including me, have been trying different head weights (4.5 - 6 Oz) and longer overall lengths. It seems your head length is a bit longer than some with the mylar section being quite a bit longer to create the 8.5 overall length. What my testing tells me is sometimes, mostly with heavier head weights, the ability of the angler to sustain a fast retrieve over a long day is reduced. When I have gone to longer mylar section and or more layers of mylar, my ability to retrieve at high speed, becomes affected by water resistance. Not to say it does not work, rather I can feel the resistance more. Now, I have not tried the longer mylar with a lighter head. I have tried much smaller heads, in various configurations and smaller mylar in addition to heavier heads with standard length mylars and heavier heads with longer length mylar. My normal bombs weigh in at 5 oz before the addition of the mylar and are 6 inches long which sets my standard for variation. Hopefully, you will find your combination works well on all fronts.

My knee jerk reaction to your beautiful bombs is mostly in regards to the angle of the point of the hook in relation to the shank. It seems, though I cannot tell for sure from your photos, is that you have an open angle.
Many of us, for the last several years, have been closing our angles in order to get a better hook set. By no means is this gospel rather it is just what I have been finding to be the most effective..... so far. Without knowing the temper of those forged hooks I do not know, should you choose to try closing some, if they will crack in the process. I have no idea but it is something to think about.

However, like others have said, fish the heck out of it, as is, and see what occurs. Thoughts are great but on water testing is always the best. I very much look forward to hearing or reading the results of that testing.

Best of luck.

Jamie

Last edited:
Upvote 0