What do you think...Is the Calico Bass the most caught and released fish in SoCal?

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
Alpine
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
Midshipman

1635291875425.png

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Bullshit

The calicos got less pressure when, after a significant lull in offshore and inshore fishing from 2008-2013, suddenly we had all time offshore fishing with essentially a never-ending season from 2014 til today and better inshore fishing for yellowtail than we ever saw in that period as well. Fishing for tuna and yellowtail has taken a lot of pressure off calicos which also bite best in the same spring to summer season.

There is no data to support the MPA theory as being anything but a net negative to fishermen. Adjacent areas are worse off than 10 years ago. This was a complete propaganda piece, no factual basis at all. MPAs were uncalled for at the time and are a complete waste now. Sad.

Upvote 0

pldouglas

Mar 29, 2012
Santa Barbara/CA/USA
Name
Jibs
Boat
none
I tend to agree with Rabid. Scientifically (and ”science” was the idea behind all the closures) there is ZERO actual evidence that calico populations are healthier since the areas were closed.

But, as to the question at hand, I’m going with mackerel.

A
Al B.Fishing
Like how the landings list released fish in the counts Like we better go the shorts are on the chew . Love Calico Bass I release them all
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
hb ca usa
Name
gary
Boat
n/a
I tend to agree with Rabid. Scientifically (and ”science” was the idea behind all the closures) there is ZERO actual evidence that calico populations are healthier since the areas were closed.

But, as to the question at hand, I’m going with mackerel.
They need to prove they breed in the closure as that would make sense and like all fish they swim and move around except the hogs at the closed area by Avalon. They just hang out for us to hand feed them,pretty cool to do i will say

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Calicos are not commercialy fished. That damage. Is from mostly sportfishing, catch and keep

The days of full sacks. Are lame

Want to go back in time. Fish SAC reef

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Loose way too much gear. Commercial fishing calicos. For a tiny meat package

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Sardines and anchovies are the most caught and released

Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
They need to prove they breed in the closure as that would make sense and like all fish they swim and move around except the hogs at the closed area by Avalon. They just hang out for us to hand feed them,pretty cool to do i will say
I have no specific position on this. However, New Zealand has gone down this road and are now seeing real results. Maybe it does work.
All I know is that the fishery is healthy and people are fishing more than ever.

Reactions: SaltH20Angler
Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Bullshit

The calicos got less pressure when, after a significant lull in offshore and inshore fishing from 2008-2013, suddenly we had all time offshore fishing with essentially a never-ending season from 2014 til today and better inshore fishing for yellowtail than we ever saw in that period as well. Fishing for tuna and yellowtail has taken a lot of pressure off calicos which also bite best in the same spring to summer season.

There is no data to support the MPA theory as being anything but a net negative to fishermen. Adjacent areas are worse off than 10 years ago. This was a complete propaganda piece, no factual basis at all. MPAs were uncalled for at the time and are a complete waste now. Sad.

This x 1,000,000

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    The fact that the sportboats can make more money fileting 10 cods then they do on 5 bass has helped in my opinion

Upvote 0