What do you guys do with coyotes?

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by mogambosquid, Feb 16, 2019.

1. CartridgeCalls

CartridgeCalls Owner of the Original CartridgeCalls

Name:
    Curtis Wright
    Boat:
    Bust Out Another Thousand
    Whats wrong with eating a coyote? Inspect them very close to make sure there is no mange or other issues with it and if all looks good I will skin the and process the meat into jerky. It really taste good. I do this to Jackrabbits as well. I am a firm believer as well to not kill something unless you will eat it (excluding ground squirrels) which I have shot truck loads of and left them for the buzzards and coyotes.

2. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    On the ranch when I was a kid we would sell the pelts, mostly to locals and the rest of the yote got broke up and fed to the pigs. It is best as said above to eat what you kill...it sounds nice. Our yotes were all shot close proximity to the barn animals, chickens, ducks, small or young animals, it is what had to be done to minimize depletion of stock.

3. Chrislarson757

Chrislarson757 Newbie

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    When I get one...
    [/QUOTE]

I’d definitely have interest in that sometime if we could set that up. And appreciate your support of veterans. I’m a navy brat myself.

4. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    coyotes are more numerous today by far then they ever were pre autos ...in baja the run the roads looking for mouse jerky from the last night...in the canyons of san diego they get into garbage and food left out for dogs as well as other pets like cats ...in the rural parts of the country chicken flocks and other barn yard critters that flock to the chicken food they scatter...wolves and other predators like bears would eat the young ….but we have altered the environment to suit us and the coyotes adapted too well...shoot everyone you see in all of san diego county and their numbers will rebound in ten years...soft is good but ignoring reality that we can't go back 200 years and completely balance the eco system means we need to balance it for them or deer and every other animal the coyotes also prey on will and have felt the increased pressure from too many coyotes

5. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    I was watching something on the cooking channel there was a guy that cooked up a coyote didn't look like something I'd eat but hey "don't knock tell ya try it" Jerky sure why not I never stated it was "wrong"to eat them. Eating coyote is not for me..ground squirrels carry diseases. When I was living up in Tehachapi someone up on the mountain died of the black plague back in the early 90's. They determined is was carried by the ground squirrels. The state came in and put some kind of poison down , I never saw another squirrel for 9 years when I moved to Arizona. Must have been some damn strong stuff they put out !!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    CartridgeCalls likes this.
  6. eric harner

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    I'm not ignoring a problem. People move in wild creatures have to move out we are top of the food chain I get it. The point I was making IMO killing yots won't make you a better hunter. Anyone can use a wounded animal call to bring them in and blast them or see them trotting along and take a shot. Learning to Elk or Deer hunt is a completely different game. For those of us that have hunted these animals I'm sure we would all agree. I figure if the gentleman that started this thread is new to hunting I wanted to share my experiences & the ethics of hunting. I've see green horns early season Elk hunters here in arizona by a gun get drawn, kill an Elk and have no idea of how to field dress it and let it rot in the field while they go to town to find help with there kill , duck hunters leave there ducks in a pile for the crows. Makes me mad as hell. There are people ( I won't call them hunters) they simply get off on killing that gives all of us ethical hunters a bad name wouldn't you agree ?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Blackfish likes this.
  7. CartridgeCalls

CartridgeCalls Owner of the Original CartridgeCalls

Name:
    Curtis Wright
    Boat:
    Bust Out Another Thousand
    I wish they would poison them again here in tehachapi. My property is infested with them. No matter how many we shoot at they just wont go away. With all the rain and high grass this year they will be a menace.

8. eric harner

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    I lived in Bear Valley Estates that's where the women died & that's were the state came in and poisoned them. I had 3.5 acres and those guys came on my property without notice and put the poison out in all the rock piles and holes. Looked like it was pretty hush hush. Sure worked.

9. Slabster

Slabster Newbie

Name:
    Antoine
    Boat:
    Yours
    [/QUOTE]

Also new to the hobby (been in the fishing arena since a kid) and would love to tag along on a hunt. Please let me know if you can arrange something.

10. mogambosquid

mogambosquid Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
    Thanks for all the input, my kid and I aren’t new to hunting, just coyote calling, the only coyotes I’ve shot in the past were because they were eating my poultry. My gramps and dad taught me to always utilize what you take and I am doing my best to instill that ethic in my son, that’s why I asked the question, initially. He’s got the hunting bug bad, fortunately , he likes the processing and eating part almost as much as hunting.

Done right, jackrabbit stew is the best!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  11. Slabster

Slabster Newbie

Name:
    Antoine
    Boat:
    Yours
    PM'd - please check your inbox.

12. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    :food-smiley-014::cheers:
    FOOD.gif

13. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho

Probably didn't want a foreign afversary coming and getting a sample to weaponize

14. eric harner

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    I agree..;)