What do you do?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by FishRock, Oct 27, 2015.

1. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Double post..

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    Some you guy that have done this, and been in this situation more than I have might say something about the low gear ratio. I know Jeff and I have talked about to low a gear ratio in this situation, any thoughts?????

3. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    I fished in high for over 20 years, finally a few years ago Cal installed the bump button on my reels and life in my older age has become very nice. Thanks Cal, I love going into low gear.

4. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hello Dave,

Every fisherman, situation and fish are different so it is more effective to be flexible in your approach to fighting big fish. In general, I prefer to keep it in high gear as long as I can still gain line and/or the fish is acting squirrely. Line comes seems to come off the spool more easily against the drag in low gear. Doesn't make sense, but it does...

Gaining line is the primary objective. If not gaining line, the probability of losing a fish increases dramatically over time.

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Bill W likes this.
  5. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Pretty sure the line seems to come off the spool more easily against the drag in low gear because you can keep the rod loaded up and line tighter so you are always closer to the point that the drag will start slipping.

Bill W likes this.
  6. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Another point to check is how close the drag start up to running drag is. Accurate ATD reels are very close. When the swells bump the drag to move some reels can be a few pounds less, giving the fish momentum to kick a run out of it.

When you check your drag purposely pull very slow and watch the scale. From a stopped reel to when the spool moves you can see the difference. When we used to fish Penn Senators and the drag got jerky it was time to replace the drags. To a lessor degree you can tell your modern drag is due for service. (Wet drag regrease)

dh515 likes this.
  7. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    I just thought of a neat way to check reel drags at home. Got a old garage door spring to tie to a preset drag that I can load up and measure the slip distance.

8. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    I was referring to the actual gear ratio of a particular size reel, and how low is to low.