What do you call this rig?


Sep 19, 2016
Cave Creek, AZ
Vince Borrego
Boat Name
2006 Skeeter

The “fish finder” he shows is actually a Carolina. A true “fish finder” rig uses a sinker slide and pyramid weight and is used in heavy current.
When used in the surf the fish finder is also called a drum rig and has 3ft of heavy leader the weight slides on and then a swivel on each end one side for the mainline and one side for a 3-6” of leader for the hook.
The “drum rig” is my go to for leopard sharks in the surf.

View attachment 1452913

View attachment 1452914
Thanks. It was more like the knocker rig. No swivels fished just like a Texas rig but with a big 3oz or 4oz egg sinker and a whole squid with a 5/0 hook.
Upvote 0

Cactus Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 30, 2022
    Garden Grove
    It's called the I'm too lazy to tie a swivel for a proper Carolina rig LOL

    Works good though and I'm sure it has situational advantages over C rig
    Upvote 0


    I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I have caught quite a few yellowtail with with a rig similar to the fishfinder rig. I use the smallest ring (usually black) that is appropriate with the size of the egg sinker to find the bottom. If the sinker is large with the opening goo sized I use a larger ring. I also use a much shorter leader from the hook so I don’t tangle on the drop. I don’t particularly like a sinker to the hook unless it is a 1/8 or 1/4 oz.
    Upvote 0