What did you waste the most money on...tackle wise?

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Temecula
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
I'll go first...
Bought 3 sabiki rods & reels for friends sportfisher...used them once.
Just took up rod spots...
Gave them to a LR boat
Probably through them overboard when the hooks stuck in the tube.
Also a bitch to thread line through them.
About $500 well spent... lol

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    got an 11ft surf rod wrapped at squidco. threw a saltist 15 on it and took it out on the yak for its first trip to dick around. got swamped by a boat's wake with my line in the water and I went over. Dropped the pole, lost the setup. $50 for the blank, $50 for components, $200 wrap, $150 reel. got one decent spottie on it right before that fishing a 3/4oz head with a green worm. .

Last edited:

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    Have a few thousand jigs that sit on a wall and have never been wet. Does that count? Maybe eventually they will be used. I guess on the bright side..... have you seen the prices of irons lately? Damn shit must be made out of gold nowadays.
    This! Plus I have 3 custom Calstars I've had for a few years which I haven't used. I've been thinking about selling them but I haven't been able to pull the trigger and list them.

J Woodman

I know nothing
    Dec 8, 2006
    Ventura
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
    You name it! I have a 30' boat in the driveway. Another 15' boat in the garage. 60-70 rods and reels for salt and fresh. A walk in closet for some of my salt water terminal tackle. A Lance camper full of some of my fresh water terminal tackle. And just like all this month it is too windy to even think about launching.
    thumbnail_20201103_093743.jpg

Parker says it is 23' but my tape measure says it is over 30'.
    Tackle closet 001.JPG

Not even a current pic.

bufadora

Apr 13, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    darren gertler
    Boat
    Sorenson 15 - catamaran
    I'll go first...
    Bought 3 sabiki rods & reels for friends sportfisher...used them once.
    Just took up rod spots...
    Gave them to a LR boat
    Probably through them overboard when the hooks stuck in the tube.
    Also a bitch to thread line through them.
    About $500 well spent... lol
    I have a 15 ft skiff and the sabiki rod is a life saver. Otherwise I would constantly be pulling hooks out of my sleeves and hands just from moving around my boat. Mine was $50 though I think so that helped.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    Years ago I thought it would be good to have my own kite rig to avoid relying upon abused boat reels and topshots that had already caught multiple fish. So I bought a Super Seeker 3x5 (Long Beach made, that was the only choice back then) and a Tiburon SST50W reel and loaded it with JB spectra.

Both live full-time in my closet and probably will remain virginal longer than I did.

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Well, if you are quantifying waste by cost per pound of fish caught, between my low catch rate and high expenditures (at least on the boat), I should be the winner. But, if the metric is pure pleasure per dollar spent, I consider everything well spent, with two exceptions. Years ago, I met Fred Archer at FHS and bought his spreader bar and two Beastmaster reels. Big waste of money.

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    I moved to San Diego three years ago because my wife got transferred here. I love San Diego. Now we are moving again, to Monterey. I have a garage full of vintage glass rods waiting to get out there to fire jigs at all the top water species we have. Monterey, not so much. All my Roddy stuff we only be good if I can swing a trip to Santa Barbara or Ventura. Oh well. I will be at the Shelter Island Marlin Club swap meet right sizing my gear.

Reactions: pacificscout

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    Fucking flat falls! Based on what I have read I have amassed a whole collection, 3 different styles terminal tackle, tons of extra assist hooks, most all of it has been fished hard, but never gotten a fucking bite, and I have never seen anyone get a bite on one of these infernal fucked-up devices.
    As Jason said, I've grown skeptical of jigs.

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Funny, I have the opposite experience with several of the "wasted" money items... I like the flatfalls and they work for me and others. I have at least 20 of those in all shapes and sizes, most in the 200-250g range. Also have had success with the archer spreader bars. Dedicated kite reel, check, got that one too, but I use it with my own kite when I can, much better control, especially if you can get a dedicated person working the kite with you.

Now I have wasted money on yoyo irons. You get only a few that swim right. I've got at least 75 of them if not more. I think I could get away with maybe 10. Also have a lot of topwater plugs that don't work especially well. But it's worth it to find the model that does work. Maybe 50 of those that don't work. And all those trolling lures that I never use. Narrowed those down to 3 or 4 that work best.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Fucking flat falls! Based on what I have read I have amassed a whole collection, 3 different styles terminal tackle, tons of extra assist hooks, most all of it has been fished hard, but never gotten a fucking bite, and I have never seen anyone get a bite on one of these infernal fucked-up devices.
    As Jason said, I've grown skeptical of jigs.

100%

Everyone who SAYS they caught a fish on a flat falls is a God damn liar!!!