JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Kids wanted to fish before they went back to camp and 2 a day football practices, mom wanted a little no kid time and I'm on leave for another week; so off we went. Oldest son bets me a weeks worth of doing his homework we wouldn't catch a tuna :smash:(so negative). Grabbed my buddy Calvin and left Haleiwa at 1000(I'm getting soft in my old age). A little sloppy up North so head down the ledge to the westside. No love on the 40fathom down to the point, turn the corner still in 110' water and pickup a shibi on a 9"jet white/green/yellow skirt (bet won):rofl:. Head straight for the V couple of boats and more birds 1st pass nada, coming downhill second pass see huge splash and the rigger pops:) (7" blueberry head blue/pink skirt) and the line starts screaming off the reel. We get Nicole all suited up in the harness and she starts putting the heat on. As we start get the back of the boat squared away we're thinking we may have to make a move on the fish as it's not showing any sign of slowing down. About this time another big splash 50' to starboard and then a 3' houndfish running for his life tail walks just behind the transom. Nicole's doing a great job on the reel then pop, the line snaps:2gunsfiring_v1:. I checked the line and it was pretty scuffed up just above where it snapped. No idea what the fish was but it seemed he had a friend out there. Hit the birds on more time and picked up an Aku (cedar plug). Kids had a great time and by the time we got home the fish was either a 500lb Blue or a 200lb AHI. Calvin and I are still scratching our heads. We're headed back out early tommorow, hopefully put the mystery fish in the boat. Happy 4th.

v/r Joe

LundieF

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
What is a Houndfish? Aha?

JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Aha is the correct local name, also known as Houndfish, Needlefish and Crocodile Needlefish. I'm just glad he wasn't headed into the back of the boat. Fun to catch on light tackle though.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Joe,
Too bad about the snapped line! At least you got some fish to eat and a little action to boot! Main thing you and the crew had some fun on the water. Good luck and go get the next one.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Joe, Calvin and the Roland clan,
Glad you got out, glad you caught fish, sorry to hear about the "one that got away". Happy (belated) 4th to you and the family.

Cheers
Pat

fetzerb

BAMF
Jun 1, 2009
Middleburg
Name
Ben
Boat
none at the time
Looks like the holiday weekend was good for all. Hopefully that next trip you get that mystery fish.