Chase7589

Just an average Newbie
Aug 10, 2018
California
Name
Chase
Boat
None
Hey guys looking at buying new electronics and just wanted your real world opions on Raymarine vs Simrad vs Garmin vs Furuno.

PS: I've had 2 very expierenced anglers recommend me both garmin and furuno, but i've been told that simrad will sometimes blow up on you and stop working and i've also been told that raymarine is made cheap and sells for a high price. Is this true? Let me hear your thoughts.

What are your personal opions on these brands.

Thanks
Chase

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
If you can afford it, Furuno is world class.

But you better be prepared to shell out quadruple the money.

Reactions: Chase7589

Chase7589

Just an average Newbie
Aug 10, 2018
California
Name
Chase
Boat
None
If you can afford it, Furuno is world class.

But you better be prepared to shell out quadruple the money.
Thanks for the reply, Also I love all the stuff you posted when you bought your new boat and started working on it.

I've watched some of Furuno's new videos and their products seem to be priced very compeditively. But for now Furuno is on the top of the list.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Thanks for the reply, Also I love all the stuff you posted when you bought your new boat and started working on it.

I've watched some of Furuno's new videos and their products seem to be priced very compeditively. But for now Furuno is on the top of the list.
I appreciate that. And if you've already checked out Furuno prices and didn't run away, you sound like you've got a world class project there.

At the regular guy price point, I think you'd be fine with any of the other brands. I have personally had experience with Lowrance and Garmin; you have to play with the units and decide which interface you like. Right now, I prefer Garmin. Their maps also seem to be considered "better". YMMV The Garmin ClearVu sold me especially for inshore fishing.

I would argue that transducer type and placement are slightly more important. Contact Semper Fi Fishing (Gil) to match your fishing habits with the electronics. Try to install a thru hull so you don't end up spending all this time and money only to be disappointed you can't track bottom or find fish at cruising speed with a transom mount only. It can be done with a transom mount, but they can be finicky.

openclass

Slam
May 28, 2009
Fairfield/Bodega Bay
Name
Rick
Boat
Parker 2820 & 26' Farallon Whaleback
Garmin......don't know much about the others as I've only ever had garmin. Very intuitive and it's got way more bells and whistles than someone from my generation would ever use. I'm totally satisfied. :git:

a7ewizard

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 4, 2009
SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
Name
WARREN WEISENBURG
Boat
251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
I assume you will network these devices. If you stick to one brand, they will all update via the MFD ( Raymarine for sure).

I am very happy with my Raymarine! Axiom 9RV, EV100 auto pilot, Quantum WiFi radar and Ray50 vhf. Those are about 3 years old and without issues.
I recently added a 1kw traditional sonar module (CP370) and TM260 transducer. This is transom mounted; holds bottom at speed very well.

tsuribakagaijin

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 19, 2006
Camarillo, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
Klamath Baja Bayrunner 19
I appreciate that. And if you've already checked out Furuno prices and didn't run away, you sound like you've got a world class project there.

At the regular guy price point, I think you'd be fine with any of the other brands. I have personally had experience with Lowrance and Garmin; you have to play with the units and decide which interface you like. Right now, I prefer Garmin. Their maps also seem to be considered "better". YMMV The Garmin ClearVu sold me especially for inshore fishing.

I would argue that transducer type and placement are slightly more important. Contact Semper Fi Fishing (Gil) to match your fishing habits with the electronics. Try to install a thru hull so you don't end up spending all this time and money only to be disappointed you can't track bottom or find fish at cruising speed with a transom mount only. It can be done with a transom mount, but they can be finicky.
x2 for Gil. I got a Furuno FCV-295 several years ago from him, and radar last week. Very nice guy and will walk you through all of your questions.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Garmin is very user friendly but that is about the only good thing I can say about it. My buddy recently upgraded his Raymarine system (including Simrad AP) to all Garmin (including AP -- I was with him at a boat show when a Garmin rep told him that Garmin makes AP's for airplanes and that their AP even works while the boat is backing up). Anyway, the AP does not perform as well as the Simrad did, despite professional installation and configuration, and despite my buddy reconfiguring with factory tech support. It doesn't steer as straight a course and sometimes makes an unexpected hard turn. From what I can tell, the forward scanning sonar is of no real value, since the range is too limited. But my real frustration is with the fishfinder in straight down mode -- the bottom return is 300 feet of water is broken, and not nearly as many bottom fish show up on his unit as I typically see on mine (Furuno DFF3).

FishingFiend

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
SoCal
Name
FishingFiend
Boat
Robalo Cayman 226
Been rocking the Axiiom 9/RV-200/Quantum Radar for 2 seasons now and have nothing but praise. Also a huge fan of the frequent software updates that Raymarine provides. Their app lets you mange via an iPad (RayRemote), the Raymarine Voyager software to manage waypoints on my desktop along with Navionics sync, are all positives! Add the Virtual Tuna tower feature with a Mavic Pro and it's a pretty modern system. Didn't even mention the FLIR integration which is great if you have a larger vessel...