okie man

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
Gonna be in the Orlando area end of the month. What can I guy go catch on his own? Some back water canals, maybe something in saltwater, taking my own vehicle so I can drive a bit for fun. Ideas?

Upvote 0

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
Homewood
Name
Peter D Womack
Boat
None
Party Boat or from the shore? There are some boats out of Port Canaveral and Clearwater. Very different from SoCal boats. Fresh water gear for the surf. I'll be down there in May. I'll probably do 1 day out of Hubbard's Marina and 2 days out of Port Canaveral.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Peacock bass in the canals...

Upvote 0

Glades Angel

Nov 15, 2020
SoFla
Name
Robert M Rogers
Boat
Aquasport 215
Sorry, but too far north for peacocks. Draw a line from Naples east to West Palm Beach and fish south of it. Miami area is the epicenter of peacocking in the USA.
Orlando is ringed by hundreds of sweetwater lakes,creeks and rivers and late March is prime time for bass,google Lake Ivanhoe if you don't wanna drive far. Personally I'd stow a couple of surf rigs and head east on Hwy.50 to the beaches. Bonus if you like Vietnamese food, Little Saigon neighborhood is on 50 on the east side of Orlando, must be a hundred Nam restaurants and Ive yet to find a bad one!

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    How far are you willing to drive and what gear do you have? Sebastian inlet can be pretty great depending on the season. I used to be there 2-3 times a week when I was younger. You can drive south and catch exotics and peacocks in canals.

Upvote 0

okie man

Oct 24, 2006
    new palestine indiana
    Name
    kerry way
    Boat
    18' javalin
    Hour or so. Farther if I had to. I have tons of gear. How about land based Goliath grouper! That looks like a fun thing to try! Lol

Upvote 0

Creed

Nov 13, 2012
    Coral Gables, FL
    Name
    Richard
    Boat
    Everglades 275
    Drive 4 hours to Miami and hop a charter, half or full day. You may get into some sails, blackfin, kings, dorado, and misc bottom species. It's been windy lately but could be better at the end of the month.

Upvote 0

MoIsFishing

Captain Mo Fishing & Charters
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Debary
    Name
    Ancelmo
    Boat
    Sea Hunt Gamefish/ Action Craft
    If your headed to Central Florida and would like to get some shore based saltwater fishing in you have some great options. On the East coast you have Sebastian inlet that holds an abundance of species including cubera snapper, mangrove snapper, mutton snapper, snook, redfish, tarpon, jacks, trout flounder, sheepshead, Goliath grouper, pompano, permit, mackerel, and a shark fest. On the west coast you have the sunshine skyway fishing pier. It has a north and south bridge that crosses Tampa Bay and you can drive your car onto the pier and stop on your favorite pilling. Not uncommon for folks to catch a pelagic species on the pier. Cobia and Kingfish definitely frequent this area. If you want to stay closer to Orlando there are canals in Merritt Island that hold juvenile tarpon, mayan chcilids, and some other inshore species. I have more fun doing this type of angling on light tackle. Have fun!!!

Upvote 0

MoIsFishing

• Sep 11, 2020
    Debary
    Name
    Ancelmo
    Boat
    If your headed to Central Florida and would like to get some shore based saltwater fishing in you have some great options. On the East coast you have Sebastian inlet that holds an abundance of species including cubera snapper, mangrove snapper, mutton snapper, snook, redfish, tarpon, jacks, trout flounder, sheepshead, Goliath grouper, pompano, permit, mackerel, and a shark fest. On the west coast you have the sunshine skyway fishing pier. It has a north and south bridge that crosses Tampa Bay and you can drive your car onto the pier and stop on your favorite pilling. Not uncommon for folks to catch a pelagic species on the pier. Cobia and Kingfish definitely frequent this area. If you want to stay closer to Orlando there are canals in Merritt Island that hold juvenile tarpon, mayan chcilids, and some other inshore species. I have more fun doing this type of angling on light tackle. Have fun!!!
    If your in town give me a call. I would love to talk about the fishing over here with you (888)516-1750

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Cichlids made it up to meritt island? The farthest north I saw one was the Sebastian river. But they’re getting a little more frequent to encounter in that water system.

Upvote 0

MoIsFishing

• Sep 11, 2020
    Debary
    Name
    Ancelmo
    Boat
    Cichlids made it up to meritt island? The farthest north I saw one was the Sebastian river. But they’re getting a little more frequent to encounter in that water system.
    Unfortunately Matt. I would rather see more native fish thriving but it look they will be sharing the waterways with Mr. Mayan.

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Sea trout and blue crabs were what my grandpa used to take us fishing for years ago.

Upvote 0

jackedup

Oct 2, 2020
    Daytona Beach Florida
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    37 seahunter 21 Shoalwater
    From shore in that area is a little tough. But not impossible. PM Me and I can help ya out!

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Reading the reports from Sebastian inlet, it looks like a good time to fish there and getting better. Idk what gear you have or normally fish but fishing large spoons on the outgoing tide is killer for blues, Gotcha plugs will get mackerel if they are there, double dropper loop with live shrimp for black drum and sheepshead (Or dead shrimp and clams). But I’ve caught big snook fishing for drum too. if you go to the inlet just watch and see what people are fishing with and try not to go on a weekend.

I caught my PB black drum on a dead shrimp/clam combo. They love that. I think it was 47#.
    I’m going in a few weeks and if there is mackerel there I really want to try small colt snipers for Macs because I think they’d crush them.
    If you have 4000/5000/6000 spinning combos I would fish those. Maybe even an 8000. You never know what you’re going to catch there and it can turn on and off in about ten minutes so you gotta be ready.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Reading the reports from Sebastian inlet, it looks like a good time to fish there and getting better. Idk what gear you have or normally fish but fishing large spoons on the outgoing tide is killer for blues, Gotcha plugs will get mackerel if they are there, double dropper loop with live shrimp for black drum and sheepshead (Or dead shrimp and clams). But I’ve caught big snook fishing for drum too. if you go to the inlet just watch and see what people are fishing with and try not to go on a weekend.

I caught my PB black drum on a dead shrimp/clam combo. They love that. I think it was 47#.
    I’m going in a few weeks and if there is mackerel there I really want to try small colt snipers for Macs because I think they’d crush them.
    if you have 4000/5000/6000 spinning combos I would fish those. Maybe even an 8000. You never know what you’re going to catch there and it can turn on and off in about ten minutes so you gotta be ready.

Upvote 0