Eddy C

Geezer
May 3, 2011
Whidbey
Name
Harry Ottoway
Boat
Glasply
I've always used Maxima Ultragreen. It's time for new line and leaders. Whats good line for sound and straights? Or is it still Ultragreen.

No more flourocarbon!

Reactions: JackoOnMyBacko

cj6530

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 5, 2009
WA
Name
chris
Boat
NR
50lb JB braid with 50ft of 25LB Ultragreen mono topshot for mainline. 5-6ft of 30LB Utragreen leader for spoons

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
I still like Ultrageen but have had good luck with Big Game at much lower price. Braid sucks for salmon.

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
I use almost all Spectra and a 30' topshot of Izor XXX. My preference!

Reactions: pescadorable

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
I've always used Maxima Ultragreen. It's time for new line and leaders. Whats good line for sound and straights? Or is it still Ultragreen.

No more flourocarbon!
Why do you say "No more fluoro"? I think fluoro is a very important tool in the war to slay fish....especially for the short leader applications like hootchies. Do you use fluoro on your entire shot or just leaders??

I use it for just leaders.....Every little edge helps IMO. I use Seagar, and have no complaints...In addition...nothing wrong with braid for salmon, it's not as shock absorbent, but a mono top shot will help with that.....

Be safe all....Swanny

Eddy C

Geezer
May 3, 2011
Whidbey
Name
Harry Ottoway
Boat
Glasply
A couple years ago I started tying flouro leaders. Then I got too cute and started using it for a top shot also. So far I have lost 3 nice kings because my knot came untied or broke. The first time I didn't think much of it I looked at the little curlys and thought what the hell I've been tying the same knot 50 yrs could have made a mistake. So l started reading up on it and the knot is critical on floruro. Improved cinch and palomar are not good on flouro. So like my buddy the die hard moocher says "our salmon aren't leader shy"? I want every advantage I can get, but Im gun shy now. Going back to mono???

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats

No more flourocarbon!
has the Maxima Ultragreen caught fish for you and now it has stopped catching fish for you?

I agree with you on the fluorocarbon. that stuff is on par with 4-leaf clovers and a lucky rabbits' foot.

Reactions: plj46

Eddy C

Geezer
May 3, 2011
Whidbey
Name
Harry Ottoway
Boat
Glasply
has the Maxima Ultragreen caught fish for you and now it has stopped catching fish for you?

I agree with you on the fluorocarbon. that stuff is on par with 4-leaf clovers and a lucky rabbits' foot.

Good point....it didn't quit catching fish... I quit using it and went to flouro......

hawkplayer32

I'd rather be fishing.
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Tony Hicks
Boat
Baja Bound
Big game is strong and stretches quite a bit. Izor is less stretch and a tad weaker (knot breaking strength). P-line cxx is less stretchy still and has good abrasion resistance and is the strongest of the 3.

I use Big Game because it's cheap and very strong and because I think the stretch of the line is good when fighting bigger fish.

whido isle

capt
Oct 6, 2010
coupeville,wa u.s.a
Name
jay
Boat
25' amf SS245 o/s (bart's legacy)
I spool my salmon reels with J-line (not too be confused with p-line) low memory line great stuff think its really big in Hawaii. I only know of one place up north who has it

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
P-Line CXX Pro here, blue color preferably.

Somebody did a line testing test on Gamefishin . com several years ago and what he found was that a lot of lines once stretched to a breaking point loose a lot their breaking strength really quick and some of those brand names were not cheap ones either.

So I went down and picked up a roll of P-Line CXX Pro blue which is the one that tested the best, 25lb that is a starting test point, with what I was currently using, IZOR 25lb test, and the P-Line and got the same results as the tester.

The P-Line easily maintained it's rated breaking test point or more and the IZOR dropped like a rock after 3 or 4 stretches to break the line, the P-Line just became to short to test but still maintained it's rating or better.

I started with about 30 yards of line with each brand tied off to my trucks trailer hitch using the same exact knots every time and a spring scale with indicator that showed the max pull on the scale before the line broke, and none of the knots failed on either lines as well.

By switching over I prevented the once in a while "my line broke for some stupid reason" syndrome I was having at least once or twice a season fishing in deep water off of LaPush.

WD.

quickfish

Apr 26, 2009
Spokane, WA.
Name
john
Boat
ATB Todd Prophet
I love the maxima marine green, only seen it sportco, has done great for tuna and salmon, holds up well to cross lines and bottom of the boat. Abrasion with the green horns I've taken out

Coffee

Jul 14, 2014
Name
Tesla
Boat
none
Sufix Tritanium, Maxima, or Izor IMO