What boat?

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Swede, May 21, 2008.

1. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    another greatly overlooked boat of the past that ive run in big water next to is an almar. there is a nice one for sale at dagmars marine rite now.

2. Afry

Afry Capitán

Name:
    Arnie
    Boat:
    38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
  3. polywave

polywave Newbie

Name:
    Harold
    Boat:
    polywave
  4. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    Appreciate all the responses.
    I like the versatility of a hardtop boat like Reel Nauti, but the proximity of the fishing deck on a Grady. Not super fond of I/O boats however. See what the future holds.

5. Cornfed

Cornfed CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS Has Moderator Powers

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
    I know what boat you should get....How bout' an ALBIN?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DirtyE

DirtyE Newbie

Name:
    Erik Erdman
    Boat:
    26' blackman
    26' blackman worked great for me at La push, my deisel averaged 3.2mpg and fished 5 comfortably, I had to go to L.A. to get it but really like the boat. Can't wait for albis get some work out of the bait tank and 1 ton insulated fish hold. Erik

7. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    I grew up on a Trojan F30 sedan. 12 ft beam with twin 350 direct drives. Every summer we would spend 2-3 weeks cruising around Vancouver Is. and even made it to Rivers Inlet to fish the Wall. Only problem, it burned 1.1 mpg @ 17 mph. Which was fine back in the 80s. I don't want to pay the fuel to make the Anacortes to Neah Bay journey!

Tommy, that Albin is sweet!

8. Reel Nauti

Reel Nauti Nauti Dog

Name:
    Chandler
    Boat:
    2359 Trophy Reel Nauti
    My 2359 is the first I/O boat I have owned. Before that it was just outboards. My boat is not offered with outboards from the factory. In addition, when I bought my boat used it was less then 8 months old and had only 22 hours on it. I got it for just over 50% of market value. So i have learned to not mind mind the I/O hump always in the way.

9. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    Sounds like you got an amazing deal and its a short hump. I see that they offer the boat in a diesel which is pretty nice option. What kind of mpg do you get?

10. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    swede as long as wewatch the weather and tides to avoid fighting a major northwester we can make the anacortes to neah bay run with under 35gallons of fuel at 30-35mph. i would definately look at these ospreys and also go out with an experienced skipper as the osprey can run at very different trims and bow heights depending on water conditions. we ran to parouse bank last year with 4footers coming rite at us and we held side by side with a 30ft grady. no knocking on bayliner trophy but we have yet to even have one be in site when truely running open ocean

11. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    will agree tommy those albins are amazing boats but damn u better have some deep pockets

12. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    You definitely have a displacement advantage in rougher water. Pretty good mpg for the weight of your boat too... almost 3 mpg. I think I'll wait for a desperate seller.

Tommy are you inheriting that Albin or what?

13. Reel Nauti

Reel Nauti Nauti Dog

Name:
    Chandler
    Boat:
    2359 Trophy Reel Nauti
    Swede

Fully loaded for Salmon and halibut with four guys (Nootka Sound), I get about 1.75 to 2 mpg with a 12-13 gph at 23-25 mph. Loaded for just salmon with 2-3 guys I get 2-2.5 mpg with a 9-10.5 gph 23-25 mph. 28-32 mph 1.4-1.5 mpg and 15 gph. not the best, but it is what it is.

When I was in the market, I was looking at 20-21 foot class. I only got my 2359 because of the price I got it for. I did not even think about the operating cost until after i bought it.

After i bought it, It went into my dad's shop. I removed everything that was attached to the gelcoat and resealed everything when i outfitted the boat. When I was removing everything, I found that the person at the factory that put the portside together was not the person that put the starboard side together. NONE of it was sealed correctly and the Electrical system was showing heavy signs of corrison from being put together "dry". You can read some of my earlier posts about what i did to the eletrical system.

I am not telling you to buy a Trophy, I am telling you why I did.

All boats needs to be maintained, doesn't matter who makes it. Some are put together much better then others

My boat will not do 30-35 mph in 4 foot chop, it is only a 23 foot boat not a 26 or 30 foot boat and a Trophy not a Grady. The upper end boat do handle better then mine, but if my boat can't handle it and the upper end boat can. I sure in hell don't want to be out in that shit anyways.

I am not the first one out there. That is more then OK with me because I am out there for less then that cost of those huge twin 4 strokes power packages you see, not to mention the cost of the rest of the boat.

When picking your next boat, it all depends on your budget. The bigger the boat, higher the horse power and the higher rent boat manufactors. The more the boat will cost and or the higher the operating costs will be. If your budget allows for a upper end boat with huge twin 4 stroke outboards, you just got a new fishing buddy.

I would love to have a grady,osprey,BW or seasport. Simple fact of the matter is I can't affort one.

Just remember, being the first one out there does not mean you catch more fish or you know what you are doing better then anyone else. It just means you are the first one out there.

14. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    Do any of you ever feel left out when you're in the cabin steering and your buddies are in the back catching all the fish? Maybe the one drawback of a Osprey, SeaSport? Suppose you need that extra wheel in the back. Chained to the wheel otherwise. Your friends are happy.

15. inSTANt bendo

inSTANt bendo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Stan
    Boat:
    Tomahawk
  16. Tower Todd

Tower Todd Number #2

Name:
    Todd S.
    Boat:
    274' Long Range
  17. Fishtech1

Fishtech1 Captain

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    27 SeaSport
    My last boat was an Olympic and had dual stations, my current Osprey has dual stations, I would not buy a boat without it, I can fish by myself and control the boat or be with the rest of the guys on deck.

There are pros and cons to every type of boat. You need to decide what is important to you and make a list. What are you looking for in a boat? what type of fishing? how much range?, operating costs? will you need a bigger truck? a major concern now with fuel costs. Do you want a sport fisher?, pilothouse?, (cabin heat is nice if you winter blackmouth fish), four stroke outboard, ETEC or diesel? Keep in mind there is always someone with a bigger better faster boat with more toys and everyone will have an opinion of what they feel is best, good luck.

18. Mo

Mo #1 OG, part time Secret Moderator

Name:
    Mo
    Boat:
    20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
    I agree,...boat envy is the worst way to make a decision on what boat to buy...if you go big, duel stations is a must have...

19. watch-n-learn

watch-n-learn Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    26ft Osprey Pilothouse
    Its not like that at all. And if it does bother you, its possible to get that extra wheel, (pointless imo). The question is, do you want to feel beat up with a wind burned and salty face at the end of the day? = center console or walkaround

20. Cornfed

Cornfed CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS Has Moderator Powers

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
    That's why we put an autopilot on the Albin. I can't afford one for my boat, and I am not trying to put that much money into my current boat (or at least not more than I already have) because I want to start saving for the next one.

With regards to the Albin, my Dad wants me to go in on him with the payments but WE need TWO BOATS. He doesn't always like to go the same places that I do and I need my boat to trailer to remote locations. He is content with staying in Washington. His and my freezers are full so he doesn't see the need to take a trip to Rivers Inlet, Quatsino, Nootka, or any other trailer needed spot.

I could afford the payments but it would put a serious crunch on my budget and I would have to monitor my spending habits and get those promotions and raises a little bit more frequently to feel comfortable. I was lucky enough in college to have full ride (throwing hammer at Nebraska) and I got my first internship with Boeing after my sophomore year of college (luck/good communication skills). I was able to invest my Boeing money (3 internships worth) and use my tuition, books, rent, food, etc was free thanks to those civilian Nebraska students that didn't have scholarships. I left college with no debt and a wad of cash that allowed me to buy my boat and house. House isn't paid for yet, but the boat is.

That's my story. The Albin will come to me eventually. Just need to work to get it. My Dad got his 35' Albin for the price that these Grady guys are getting their brand new 28' Grady's and about half as much as a new 34' Boston Whaler. My advice: DON'T BUY NEW...PERIOD. Unless you got lots of cash to spend.