What boat for full day, San Diego fleet

Devil doc

Nov 7, 2014
Name
Mike
Boat
too poor
What full day boat out of the San Diego fleet would you suggest. Watching the reports the San Diego out of seaforth is doing well for yellowtail. I’m bringing my very capable 40 year old sister as well as a very fit 70 year old dad as their birthday trips this year. We are in the Santa Clarita area so we do the Channel Islands regularly but I want them to feel the pull of a yellowtail. Thanks to all here on BD we are fully set for all things SoCal up to 100lbs as far as equipment. Just need help with a boat that’ll be understanding of customers who may not be familiar with Pelagics. When I bring friends/family on who are new to sport boats I usually have $20’s in hand for the crew before we even leave the dock so we have the gear and right attitude but maybe not the skill. Any suggestions on a fishy boat that is flexible to newbies would be appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Depends on when you’re going. If the $$ are not a problem, you might want to consider a 1.5 or 1.75 trip. Better shot at pelagic. The there are some of the long range boats doing short trips. This will spoil you.

Reactions: Devil doc
Upvote 0

Devil doc

Nov 7, 2014
Name
Mike
Boat
too poor
Depends on when you’re going. If the $$ are not a problem, you might want to consider a 1.5 or 1.75 trip. Better shot at pelagic. The there are some of the long range boats doing short trips. This will spoil you.
My plan was next month but some scheduling issues might push us to august. My fear is anything over a full day might push my gear (I’m bringing most of it) to the limit. We are weekend warriors and a perfect trip for them would be a live bait soak or dropper loop and catching 15-20lb yellowtail. A 15lb yellowtail would blow their mind.

Upvote 0

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 28, 2007
OC
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
Liberty or the Mission Belle. Liberty has an amazing burger that blows many restaurants out of away.

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I like the Mission Belle and the San Diego for 3/4 day trips. The San Diego has a little more comfortable sitting arrangements. The Mission Belle is smaller but carries a lighter load. In my opinion the skippers on those two boats are a level above any others that fish the islands. If you want yellowtail the next 2 months are probably your time. Two years ago there was a July run of yellows at the Coronados that was off the hook for about two weeks. Didn’t happen last year. After the spring/early summer yellowtail run at the islands these boats typically do offshore runs targeting tuna and yellowtail. If I’m going to fish these I’d prefer an overnight or longer trip.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    If your celebrating a couple B-days, Why don't you look into chartering a 4 or 6 pack boat? San Diego has a few, Look into Fisherman's landing for a start.

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    >> I usually have $20’s in hand for the crew before we even leave the dock

50$ or 100$ may get you better results

just sayin...

Devil doc
    Devil doc
    The 20’s are just to set the tone. I still tip well at the end.
    Upvote 0

streetnfish

Jun 7, 2009
    south pasadena
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    Float tube
    Are you driving down for the day or getting some lodging the night before/day after? Some of the boats (Grande and Liberty for example) have bunks for you to lie down on the trip out and back. Makes a huge difference when you have to make a long drive for the day.
    The San Diego and Mission Belle are smaller boats without bunks and with limited seating options outside of the galley. (San Diego has the edge of these two boats with its "middle spine " seating area). You can bring a small folding chair to sit on but will be limited in where you can post up.
    As far as " helping the newbies" , just introduce yourself to the deckhands (good practice regardless) and explain your situation to them. Tell them you are not local to the area and want to get your sister and dad on their first yellowtail (Remember, it's not about YOU today). They will set you up with the most effective rigs for your gear and the boat conditions. Please listen to their recommendations. All the boats will have good customer service in this regard but I would give the San Diego an edge here.
    I mentioned all the above areas first because when I take new people fishing, Comfort for them is my first priority.
    As far as the best boat to catch a yellowtail is concerned, you will get a a bunch of different answers based on peoples experiences/lack of experiences on them. All of the boats will work hard to get you on fish. That's how they make a living. In my experiences the San Diego has an edge on a tough day. They are down there the most and the captains (especially Ryan) go through that place with a fine toothed comb. However, this is really splitting hairs. All the captains down there are more than adequate and in a given year they all have their days as the top dog in the yellowtail count. (Some a little more than others)
    So I say take in all the information you get on here and your further research, pick a day that works for your fam, and have a Great Day on the water with your loved ones. Yellowtail will be a sweet bonus !
    There is a website that has daily fish counts as well as past archives if you want to run numbers on fish count and types of fish caught in any given year/month.

Good luck

PS. Some of the boats fill up fast when the bite is on so keep track of the spots available. You may have to book early .

Last edited:

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    My plan was next month but some scheduling issues might push us to august. My fear is anything over a full day might push my gear (I’m bringing most of it) to the limit. We are weekend warriors and a perfect trip for them would be a live bait soak or dropper loop and catching 15-20lb yellowtail. A 15lb yellowtail would blow their mind.
    All the landing have rental gear and some of the boats have loaners, only need to pay for top shot and off course terminal tackle. Others have chimed in on specific vessels. List the outfits you have and you’ll get a lot of opinions. I suggest two outfits each, probably 30/40, depending. Have fun.

Upvote 0

Devil doc

Nov 7, 2014
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    too poor
    thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it. The ultimate goal is spending time with the family and catching fish is secondary. Neither my dad or sister have caught anything that pulls hard on our days at the Channel Islands so anything, not necessarily yellowtail, would be quite the experience for them. I think I would have as much fun watching them than I would if I was on the fish. We will be staying the night prior to and day of so the commute is not an issue. I’m in code group so I can keep up with what the boats are doing and when we get down there I’ll be sure to post how we did. Thanks again everyone and take care

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    They are all awesome boats that know yellowtail. Make sure everyone has a passport. I’d vote The San Diego, as I feel they are best crew for fisherman’s who are unfamiliar with fishing on party boats.

Upvote 0

JM138

Mar 22, 2018
    So Cal
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    None
    anyone know why the liberty hasnt been running this year?

J
    jc433
    The Liberty started running last week. Fished with them Sunday and had 46 bf n board from 20-50 lbs. Excellent capt. and crew!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Any pictures of your sister?

Upvote 0

Devil doc