Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Crucial, Jul 9, 2017.
Is this a serious question?
Yes, the OP is looking to tow a boat. I do not know about brake controllers, so I am trying to get information on them. Are brake controllers used when towing a boat? I do not know that is why I am asking.
Brake controllers override the surge on your trailer, meaning when you apply the brakes on your tow vehicle, the brakes engage on your trailer, meaning much more control for you the driver.
Surge brakes by definition engage when trailer momentum (whether downhill or braking) compresses the hydraulic piston, so your trailer breaks will not only be late in relation to vehicle braking, but they will not necessarily be controllable. I've towed horse trailers with surge brakes that resulted in the trailer brakes completely locking up, which in that case I would prefer no brakes at all.
With electronic brake controllers, you can dial in sensitivity based on the weight of what you're towing and let the vehicle you're actually driving dictate the braking power. The trailer will actually brake first and you won't get that pushing feeling.
Once you install it, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. We spend thousands on electronics, rods, reels, etc but if you tow your boat it's hard to argue that this isn't the best money you can spend.
I guess not many guys tow boats nearing 10,000 lbs but guys with toy haulers, horse trailers, heavy equipment etc surely are not relying on surge breaks alone.
Thank you for that intell on braking systems. I did not put two and two together on that. My truck has a factory brake controller, quess i should learn how to use it. I thought i would only need it for towing toy haulers and such.
I don't know enough about the Dodge to say definitively. My experience with factory GM units hasn't been good; bought the Tekonsha Prodigy for my old Silverado and carried it to my Titan; can't speak highly enough. Cheap peace of mind
I have a Dodge 3500 and it came with a factory controller! Works great! Come through the grapevine Jake brake screaming! LMAO! Waiting for the snow to avalanche down the mountain! Totally off the subject!
2016 Duramax 1 ton 4x4. Boat and trailer is just shy of 16k depending on fuel. No complaints!
F-350 crewcab diesel tows my 28' boat and 40' 5th wheel toyhauler. Not at the same time of course. ;-)
99 percent of boat trailers use surge brakes, brake controllers are used on trailers with electric brakes ( travel trailers, fifth wheels etc) and would not last on trailers that get submerged. You can add a electric/ hydro brake system which is the other 1 percent
Another Dodge CTD fan.
I tow a Grady White 208 with my F150 with the 3.7L V6 (naturally aspirated, not the Ecoboost). It tows it with relative ease, and it's also my daily driver. It's 5 years old and got 91k miles on it already. I've got no issues with it. It's been a great truck.
I have used my friends Tacoma to tow my grady. Slow steady, decent brakes. I would not want to climb a lot of mountains in it.
My tow vehicle is a ford diesel.
anything 4wd for having dry wheels to pull out of the ramp. you can push it a little on the weighted towing weight IMO as long as you're cautious, but if you can't pull up the ramp it's a bad situation.
Its not what you can pull, its what you can stop.
I would consider an old truck or suv as a tow vehicle and a smaller daily driver. Lots of older high mileage v8 suvs out there that were mom taxis but could pull a boat and be had for cheap.
You could always just use a uhaul.
Finally got a diesel pick-up, and went with a Dodge 3500 4x4 dually to replace the Chevy 3500 dually 454 gasser. It's my first Dodge, always had Chevy or GMC, and can not be happier with the trucks looks and the 6.7 Cummins. I owned equipment with the 5.9 and they were a great dependable work horse. The wife is happy too, she pulls our 4 horse trailer fully loaded up with more confidence now. Probably more truck then your thinking, but the newer 3/4 tons with the diesels will pull a lot and last you a long time,,,
I bought a new Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 in 07.The Cummins was great.It was only on the tow truck 5 times in 7 years.Don't buy a Dodge.!Tundra has had zero issues so far.
99 F250 SD with 7.3L diesel. Tows my 6k lb boat no problem. When I had a 19' CC, my Hyundai Santa Fe towed it just fine.
Separate names with a comma.