What are we doing wrong?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Marinefisherman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Marinefisherman

Marinefisherman Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    No boat
    I just got invited to go out fishing on the boat again but I’m a little <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Scared to go out again. This would be my third time going out and the first<o:p></o:p>
    Two times we didn’t catch anything!!! We usually head out of the K Bay around 0630 maybe 0700 and we head out towards the buoys and we usually have about 5 lines in the water trolling the top with big and small lures. Last time we spent 9 hours out and didn’t even get one bite!! As we were going out the bay there way seaweed floating everywhere and bait everywhere and we tried to stop and throw some big spoons into the bait pods but that didn’t work... But I did see 3 whales lol....Anyways any tips or tricks because I can’t do another 9 hour trip and no catch even one fish, id almost rather go fish the beach on base with some fresh tako!!<o:p></o:p>

2. takoman

takoman Newbie

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    hobie AI
    maybe stop worrying about catching fish and just enjoy the day with friends and family. Sometimes i dont get a bite all day but i just say Mahalo Ke Akua for the chance to be here... There is a reason it called fishing after all.

3. hb1111

hb1111 Newbie

Name:
    skipper
    Boat:
    wanna be
    change out your lures, change your speed, change captain, be more versatile, try baiting, theres tons of variables why one wont catch and maybe your boat has a problem, whistling prop, or could be anything...just gotta keep going and have patients... ive been on lots and lots of trips with no fish...or heck just go with Capt Donald....problem solved!!!!

4. RuffRyda

RuffRyda Captain

Name:
    Christian
    Boat:
    26' Yellowfin "Ruff Ryda"
    Thats why its called fishing and not catching. If it was called catching then guarantee you catch every single time.

5. dksu

dksu Newbie

Name:
    david
    Boat:
    Whaler Conquest 285
    I had same bad luck which lasted 3 months straight. Don't get discouraged. We went every weekend, straight 3 months and we didn't catch anything, not even a bite. We almost sold our boat :rofl:. But with advice from BD forum members, we started trying out different lures and trolling patterns. We eventually started catching fish again. We added birds to our pattern and we began catching fish again. Don't get too obsessed with the thought of catching fish, it will drain you out. Just enjoy boating and fish will be a bonus if you catch em.

6. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    Mahalo Ke Akua.

Que?

(seriously, school me.)

7. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
    Run some 5" lures. Pick up some aku and shibi to break that bolo head spell and you'll be all smiles.

And why the late start? Get out there early.

8. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    This is generally a slow time of year for trolling, so keep your expectations in check. It gets better going into the spring season, which is not too far away. The mahimahi catch report is showing promise. Keep the lures in the water and they will come!

9. hawaiian hammer

hawaiian hammer Googan

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' Thunderbird
    Thank you god

10. Da.Ching808

Da.Ching808 Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    RH Boat Pro V16
    Fall/winter season running 5" lures.. Mostly early spring to early fall use 5,7,9,12 lures.

Right now we use 5" lures

11. Irunthedeck

Irunthedeck Gilligan

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Friends's boat
    A lot of good info here, always and I mean ALWAYS keep an eye out for birds working, or rubbish on the outside, if the rubbish is too far in and too shallow it may not be holding anything but its worth a pass and look see. Try lighter leader lines if the fish are in the area but won't bite. Smaller lures can save the day, 5", 3", clark spoons (change the hook to Japanese double hooks ) Ride the slow merry-go-round at the buoys. Try baiting if got fish in the area or deep water jigging.

12. laakea

laakea Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    laakea
    Yup uncle scottie is right the only thing he left out is what lures to run get some gaji, damage inc, and leroy lo lures in your spread they will kick some ass for you!:2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1:

13. captdon1

captdon1 Newbie

Name:
    don
    Boat:
    33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
    12'' ?????? HMMMMMMMMM..............:_diarrhea_:

14. Okieman

Okieman Newbie

Name:
    Bradley
    Boat:
    23' cabin cruiser
    I know how you feel marine. Been trolling for about a year now and can count the number of fish I've boated on one hand. I was using a small boat and always stayed inside. Just bought a bigger one and will be headed out to where the big boys live soon. Stick with it and keep in good spirits when your out there. No need go out and be pissed all day. Fishing is our hobby and should be fun no matter the result. good luck!!

15. Yoshio

Yoshio Newbie

Name:
    Yoshio
    Boat:
    None
    Hey there guys I just got off the phone with captain don and he would like to support you all military guyes and take you all on a fishing trip. He will pm you when he is feeling better but he said no promises.

16. Dbach

Dbach Newbie

Name:
    Matt Derrenbacher
    Boat:
    Day Tripper
    I would also recommend pulling at least one ballyhoo/opelu/mackerel in your trolling spread...you have to rig them to be durable so they stand up to being trolled at speed (7-8 knots). works for us around the FADS and when we can't find the bird piles. Always seem to get a stike or two in the blind.

17. captdon1

captdon1 Newbie

Name:
    don
    Boat:
    33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
    HEY UM BRIAN, I'LL BE MORE THAN WILLING TO TAKE YOU AND ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR FELLOW BUDDYS FOR A FISHING TRIP, AS IT IS THE LEAST I CAN DO FOR SOMEONE SERVING OUR COUNTRY. I'M DEALING WITH A NASTY COLD AT THE MOMENT, LEFT YOU A PM WITH MY # CALL ME MID WEEK AND LETS PLAN AN UPCOMING TRIP, NO NEED CHIP IN FOR FUEL ETC. JUST BRING YOUR LUNCH & SUNSCREEN, CAN'T PROMISE YOU WE WILL CATCH FISH BUT WILL GUARANTEE YOU A WHOLE LOTTA FUN.:rofl:

ALOHA CAPTDON

18. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    there goes captain don again showing the aloha!!! one of the greatest fishing mentors i've ever had, thank don for all you do!!!

19. DC808

DC808 Newbie

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    -----
    Awesome. I hope your generosity and Brians service to our country are rewarded with giant tunas and bull mahis.

20. Spiderjigman

Spiderjigman Newbie

Name:
    GREG
    Boat:
    Sold
    makesure no one is sneaking bananas on board:rofl: