FishAcquisition

Pithy Statement to make me appear 😎
Sep 19, 2005
La Quinta
Name
Dan
Boat
Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
Thinking about this for local lakes and SD Bay. It is shaped like a Flour Scoop and I can’t help
but think it is nearly perfectly designed to sink in following seas. What might be it’s inshore capabilities?
1972 19 LOA Chevy 6
5A88541B-06E7-4411-ADAB-4677A95C806D.jpeg

onehottip

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
It looks nice. Due diligence on the boat.

Tranquility

Tranquility
Mar 13, 2004
Calif
Name
Bryan
Boat
Century 3200WA
Tough crowd. Most boats capabilities are more a function of the operator than the boat. As a youngster a buddy had a 16 foot trihull very similar to this. As it was our only option we pushed that hulll well beyond it's intended use. Would I do the same today. A little older a little wiser and not willing to take the beatings of my youth.

That said, could you fish the bay in a trihull. Absolutely. Inshore, you bet. Pick your day. People do much more in 13 footers.

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
It has potential............

Filled with dirt it would make a nice raised planter.

Reefer

May 21, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bob
Boat
Pez Vela
I'd probably pass because it looks as if it has I/O power. Otherwise, a 1970's tri-hull can provide plenty of utility at a cheap price. My 1st boat was an 18' Glaspar back in 1972. With O/B power, we fished and water skied everywhere, and also surfed Pt. Loma with it.

Easy to trailer, we took it to Senator's Wash, the Colorado river, L.A. Bay, Cabo San Lucas ... I've lost count of all the places. Around here, I caught everything, including quite a lot of albacore ... because nobody told either me or the boat that it couldn't be done.

The one you're looking at seems like a modified version of a true tri-hull, and I never tried one of those. I wouldn't rule out a tri-hull though, just because it is an older, disfavored design. It might work for you.
1972 Glaspar 18'3%22.jpeg

kapnd

Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
I’ve got an old Boston Whaler that I dearly love, but most other trihulls I’ve been on are horrible!
If the Seller will give you a few bucks in addition to the boat, it might be worth it for the trailer...

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
I used that crap out of my old-skool ass spanker in the ocean, it even went to Cat and back. Have owned it since 1983
Still have it for lake trips and skiing, turn key and go.
1973 Enterprise straight 6 170 Volvo / 270 leg
This is a rare wide beam 16 footer with a lot of room.
DSC02349.JPG

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
When I was a Kid any boat was a good boat...I can still remember some of the dubious craft we took to the Ranch...etc. etc. etc.

My Buddy had one just like that we used to go shark fishing out of Newport Bch. because that is what he liked to do. We stopped by Newport Pt. (19th St.) on a Giant So. Swell...Just to check it out close and personal (my idea)...Lifeguards were not pleased!!! Nor was my buddy....Brings tears to my eyes!!!

Last edited:

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Everyone poo pooing this hull needs to take a closer look at the front of the boat...
This is NOT your average tri hull of kidney pounding fame.
This hull appears to be really similar to the Air Rider hull designed by Gavin Mair over in Australia. Australian Parks department runs a big one and there’s at least one running in Costa Rica. All builds so far have been aluminum and they get high marks for performance. Look them up.
Assuming your motor checks out and everything else is otherwise on point, run it! You might be really surprised by how that hull handles.

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
My first boat was a ‘79 Sea Swirl tri-hull. I did a lot of upgrades to the interior and made a platform on the bow and gutted the back to back vinyl chairs for captain seats. I fished it out of NP and went up to the Huntington flats to fish halibut and bass all the time. It was a great first boat, because shit was breaking all the time and it made learn real fast how to repair boats or I didn’t get to fish. It was the last I/O engine I ever owned though. Never again.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Are you buying that thing or do you already own it? Have you worked on boats before, have any mechanical ability?
I'm not gonna bad mouth your ride but.... I got a 14' Bass boat that needs some work you can have for $100 thats better than that... galv. trailer, bimini top, fish finder, gps, trolling motor. I think I fished the bay in it once, kelp beds all the time, the nine, the Islands.. no one wanted to go with me but I did it all the time, you can do it in that thing too. It just comes down to your ability on the water, your desire to fish, and your willingness to be fucking tortured to do it.

Reactions: Rocket Dog

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Load it up with Democrat Senators and House members and take it on a 3hour tour with the plug removed.

Reactions: mahi