Russo

Almost A Member
Aug 14, 2017
Wildomar
Name
Jon Russo
Boat
If that's what you want to call it
You renting or buying? How often do you plan on going out? If this is a try and see how you like it scenario I would suggest renting 40# and 80# 2 speed setups from the landing.
Alternatively good price point reel to buy would be a Penn 40NLD2 Fathom. Load it with 80# braid and get yourself some 40,50,60 leader and you will be ready to fish the sinker rigs that are paying off at the moment assuming you have the rod already to back it up.

I
ilovetofishinsd
to be honest im 11 and have like no money and am going on the trip on thurs and didn't know I needed heavy gear all I have is a Walmart setup and was wondering what the most cheapest thing I could get
Upvote 0
I
ilovetofishinsd
also you can rent gear?
Reactions: Russo
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Russo

Almost A Member
Aug 14, 2017
Wildomar
Name
Jon Russo
Boat
If that's what you want to call it
Yes, you can rent gear. Contact Seaforth Landing -(619) 224-3383 and confirm, but I'm 99% sure they rent gear. Fisherman's Landing, H&M etc. all rent gear as you are far from the only person in your position. Its fairly common honestly. Even guys that fish frequently don't necessarily have heavy gear. Explain your situation to the landing and I'm sure they will get you sorted out.

Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat
    Island Spirit
    I recently got the penn fathom 40NLD2 and loved it! was a really smooth reel and great bang for buck. Only used it once but liked the reel.

Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
    Apr 5, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Excel
    Buy a cheap one....so it won't hurt so much after you throw it into the water....frustrated....that 8 million boiling fish eat everything except the bait/lure you throw...

:gaygroup:

Reactions: kayakbeast33

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
    so cal
    www.socalfishingdynamics.com
    Name
    will
    Boat
    Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
    Renting is good option. Right now the fish seem to be 30-80 lbs on average. The night bite has the larger 100 lb plus on the jigs.

For fish between 30-100 lbs. a single speed reel is fine. You might have to work harder to get it to the boat compared to a 2 speed reel but it's definitely doable and has been done for years by many of us.

Besides picking up a used reel from the classifieds section on here you can look into the following options for a 40 lb rig.

SINGLE SPEED REELS (Good value for the money spent)
    Avet JX (the lower gear ratio model will be easier to wind in the larger fish, but there is nothing wrong with fishing the 6.0 gear ratio JX). FYI Avet JX reels are on sale at Charkbait.
    Avet JX 4.6MC $232 at charkbait
    Avet JX 6.0 $199 at charkbait
    Daiwa Seagate 40 $150
    Daiwa Saltist 40 $260
    Penn Fathom 40N $250
    Shimano Torium 16 $220

TWO SPEED REELS
    Shimano Speed Master 12II or 16II $250-$260
    Okuma Cavalla 5II $240
    Penn Fathom 40N LD 2 speed $300

There are cheaper options out there but these reels have a good reputation for not only catching fish, but for their durability to last you many years.

If i only had money to buy one I'd get the Avet JX 6.0 for $199. It's a solid reel, easy to service, and can easily handle all of the fish we have locally. 30-100 lb tuna is no problem for it.

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    Vagbond
    When talking to Steve Carson (Penn West Coast rep.) on our recent Penn / Vagabond trip, he indicated that the Fathom 40N LD 2 speed is the most popular loaner reel in the long range fleet. I think that this may indicate something.

Upvote 0