stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I'm attaching 30lb p-line to 50lb PP and practicing the reverse albright. The knot is cinching down nicely and I'm wetting the knot before cinching. Testing on a scale, it is consistently breaking at around 27 lbs and it's the braid that's breaking at the knot. I've watched videos over and over and I'm tying it correctly, or so I thought. What would cause this?

And before anyone says it could be a bad batch of braid, I tested the braid on it's own and it maxed my scale and was very hard to break.
How many wraps? And are you laying the wraps one for one? Some of the videos say just wrap up and wrap down. But after watching my friend, I found laying the wraps one for one helped me.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
How many wraps? And are you laying the wraps one for one? Some of the videos say just wrap up and wrap down. But after watching my friend, I found laying the wraps one for one helped me.
5 each way works great

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Another knot that has served me well, although it may be a PIA to tie, especially on a boat is a double nail knot. I used this before I learned the Bob Sands. It is a common knot in fly fishing.

Upvote 0

bueller

Desert Dweller
Jul 18, 2014
Name
Steve
Boat
nope
Based on a suggestion from another member, I gave the FG knot a try. I made one practice attempt and tested the second on the scale. Tested three times and each time the mono broke at the terminal knot on the scale, 31.8, 32.8, and 32.9 lbs using small diameter p-line original. Tried it with 30 Big Game which tests higher and again broke at the mono knot, 36.6 and 36.1 lbs. The FG knot did not fail in any way and is by far the smallest diameter knot. I also noticed the mono tag end is on the reel side of the knot so casting with a short topshot will be no problem. I think I found a new knot.

Reactions: TOTW
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Its the braid thats breaking at the knot?Is that possible?

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Same as the tom collins and modified albright knot... just a different name...
    Actually, the tom collins is a cocktail Gary....:D
    John Collins, Rp, Alberto knot are all just different names for the Carl Knot.....

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Actually, the tom collins is a cocktail Gary....:D
    John Collins, Rp, Alberto knot are all just different names for the Carl Knot.....
    Got it thanks :)
    Carl , one day I'll show you the "Gary Knot" it's been tested on 60ib izor line and broke at over 90 lbs of force on their machine at the Del Mar Fair..(izor booth)

Upvote 0

bueller

Desert Dweller
    Jul 18, 2014
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    nope
    After numerous tests, the FG knot is going to be my braid to mono/fluoro connection. It has only failed once and that's because I forgot to cinch it after tying the half hitch. I tried it again without cinching and it broke again so it's important to tighten the knot before clipping the tag ends. I've gotten faster at tying it and it isn't difficult to do. I did a quick test with 40lb big game to 50lb PP and again it broke at the mono knot. I only tried the 40 once because that's a lot of force and when it broke it snapped back at me and actually broke skin. I think it works so well because there's no mono/braid crossing that could cause a line to get cut. It's strictly braid wrapped around a single strand of mono. Do your own tests on a scale.

I actually enjoy testing stuff like this. I'm not one to go strictly off suggestions without testing it myself. I've tried all the knots suggested and can't get comfortable with most of them. I feel like I can tie the Albright well and the FG is hard to mess up.

Last edited:
    Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    That's the easiest way to tie it. I finish mine with a small uni knot and a drop of Tac Glue--glue only on the finished part, not the cuff itself.

By the way, I think the FG guy and the Pakula guy go to the same nail salon!

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Improved Bristol won Sport Fishing Magazine's 30 lb mono to 50 lb braid knot contest. I entered and despite my preference for the Improved Bristol, I relied on the recommendation of someone for the Worm Knot. All my testing had the Worm breaking the braid at the knot and the knot failing below the break test of the mono. Did not matter how I tied it. I have never had the braid break on the improved Bristol.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Improved Bristol won Sport Fishing Magazine's 30 lb mono to 50 lb braid knot contest. I entered and despite my preference for the Improved Bristol, I relied on the recommendation of someone for the Worm Knot. All my testing had the Worm breaking the braid at the knot and the knot failing below the break test of the mono. Did not matter how I tied it. I have never had the braid break on the improved Bristol.

So we can add the improved bristol to Improved Albright, Modified Albright, John Collins, RP, and Roberto as aliases for the Carl Knot. Or did I miss something?

Reactions: gecsr1
    Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now

looks just like the improved/modifed albright or all the other names..but wrapping the mono instead of the spectra..

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    So we can add the improved bristol to Improved Albright, Modified Albright, John Collins, RP, and Roberto as aliases for the Carl Knot. Or did I miss something?

Everyone claims a name on a fishing knot like they were the first when in fact they're all derivatives of something else.

Did you know that I invented the missionary position? Just saying.

Reactions: plj46 and Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0

bueller

Desert Dweller
    Jul 18, 2014
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    nope
    The Bristol knot kind of defeats the whole idea of making the knot small. First you have the Bimini and then the Bristol which will be bulky since it's the mono that's wrapping around the braid.

I'm 100% happy with the results I've gotten with the FG. To me proof is in the actual comparison, and in my personal comparison the FG simply outperforms the rest. Testing the knots on a scale is simple and proves which knots are stronger. I'm not saying the FG is necessarily the strongest connection available but with my limited knot experience, it is for me.

Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
    Name
    Lalas5
    Boat
    None
    I understand I'm well over my drag setting. I just want to know that I'm tying the knot correctly.

Looping mono, braid through loop, wrap up, pinch, wrap down and through loop again in same direction as it entered, wet, cinch.
    Goes back through the loop at the end in opposite direction and pass it thru twice.
    I go through loop from bottom of mono loop, wrap up 5 times then back down 5 times, and at the end pass pp tag end through mono loop twice in opposite of how I came in through mono loop. When u pull tight wet it and pull only on pp main line not tag end slowly until cinches down then pull harder to make sure. I've never had this knot break on me if it does break the mono goes not pp. I use it to tie leaders from 10lb test up to 50lb test. Lighter mono I wrap up to 7 times heavier I scale back cuz it holds just as well wit less wraps

Upvote 0

bueller

Desert Dweller
    Jul 18, 2014
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    nope
    Goes back through the loop at the end in opposite direction and pass it thru twice.
    I go through loop from bottom of mono loop, wrap up 5 times then back down 5 times, and at the end pass pp tag end through mono loop twice in opposite of how I came in through mono loop. When u pull tight wet it and pull only on pp main line not tag end slowly until cinches down then pull harder to make sure. I've never had this knot break on me if it does break the mono goes not pp. I use it to tie leaders from 10lb test up to 50lb test. Lighter mono I wrap up to 7 times heavier I scale back cuz it holds just as well wit less wraps
    We're saying the same thing in different ways. When I start the knot I drop the braid through the loop from the top. When I end the wrap I enter the loop from the bottom so that both the main line and tag end are exiting the loop on the same side. I have not tried passing the tag end through the loop twice.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    The Bristol knot kind of defeats the whole idea of making the knot small. First you have the Bimini and then the Bristol which will be bulky since it's the mono that's wrapping around the braid.

I'm 100% happy with the results I've gotten with the FG. To me proof is in the actual comparison, and in my personal comparison the FG simply outperforms the rest. Testing the knots on a scale is simple and proves which knots are stronger. I'm not saying the FG is necessarily the strongest connection available but with my limited knot experience, it is for me.

Bristol is not bulky at all. Bimini in braid is not bulky and I'd rather have the mono wrapping around the braid than vice versa. Have you done a side-by-side break test? I will search the results as I'm sure the FG was submitted. Top 1/3 of the entrants were Bristol knots. My worm came in middle of the pack, but it was not an acceptable result.

Once again, all the top knots tested used a double, typically a bimini:

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/how-to-tie-strong-fishing-knots

I think that fisherman worrying about micro differences in diameter of knots when they're using ring guides are kidding themselves and they clearly are giving up knot strength.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0