What about mega baits for yo-yo yellows?

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
I've caught them on megabaits....IMO the flashy colors of megabaits are more suited to offshore fishing and that stuff's inshore right now. Is your second ? asking if a Tady C or a Salas 7x is suitable for yoyo fishing?? If that's what you're getting at it's a no, C's and 7x's are surface iron's.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
4/0 is a great yoyo jig....I like to fish the 4/0 or 6x if it's a little windy because they sink pretty fast, 6xjr on the days with lighter wind.

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Megabaits take forever to sink. That being said... they work!

Use all spectra (+10' of 50# mono) to increase your sink rate if you try em'.

Upvote 0

yft1979

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
7X Heavy would work, but a 6x-6xjr heavy would be the best.
Garrett

Upvote 0

crazy cajun

Bait Hog
Jun 14, 2008
Carlsbad
Name
Sean
Boat
Grady White Lori Ann
Use the Mega bait on the slide. Every 25 to 30 feet, place your thum on the spool and shake your rod tip and make the bait dance. If you don't get bit, real it in and go the an iron.

Upvote 0

Mfish618

Sea Reaper
Jun 5, 2007
San Diego/ Westport Wa.
Name
Mike
Boat
19 FT. Searay, 17 ft Champion
Mega baits are deadly on the tails. Be sure to put a slight bend in the lure about 1/3 up from the bottom end. Also change out the pos treble to a good quality hook. Darts are just as effective. I believe a mega bait with the proper action to it is the ultimate slide bait. Thumb the spool occasionally, as previously stated.

Upvote 0

Comin'InHeavy

Productions. Ohwow.
Aug 2, 2008
O.B.
Name
E$
Boat
Full Day & prvt boats. Angler, not owner.
Mega baits are deadly on the tails. Be sure to put a slight bend in the lure about 1/3 up from the bottom end. Also change out the pos treble to a good quality hook. Darts are just as effective. I believe a mega bait with the proper action to it is the ultimate slide bait. Thumb the spool occasionally, as previously stated.

Got a picture of one of your mb's with this adjustment? Curious to see how you modded it....thx.

Upvote 0

Comin'InHeavy

Productions. Ohwow.
Aug 2, 2008
O.B.
Name
E$
Boat
Full Day & prvt boats. Angler, not owner.
Cool, I'll give it a shot on one or two. This makes it swim erratically when on the slide right?

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2004
LA
Name
Ben
Boat
Nope
I was on the Grande on 4/7 when we put 200 yellows on the boat. Here's what worked for me:

-I had 8 hook ups. 7 of those hook ups were on Salas 6x Jr blue and white. One was on Salas 6x Jr on Brown and white
-I fished a dorado color Megabait for about an hour when the bite was pretty good. I only got bumped once on the retrive. Didn't seem like it was producing well for me that day on the Megabait. Went back to the blue/white and started hooking up again.
-My friend was getting them on the butterfly jigs pretty well
-Scrambled eggs was working better in the morning before the sun came up. another friend of mine used it mid-day with more sun out and was not getting good results with it. Went back to blue/white and started hooking up again.
-some people were getting bit ok on the dropper loop with a sardine too.

If it were me fishing again, I would be fishing Salas 6x Jr Blue/White all day.

Ben

Upvote 0