RodRage

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Posted a similar thread about a year or so ago lots of new members since, please share your stories and pictures . When I was six my parents flew me to Minnesota where they grew up as farmers to meet my grandfather. he took me down to a river behind his house we dug worms and caught what they call Bullhead which is a Minnesota catfish, it blew my freaking mind and set me on my path!

Attachments

Last edited:

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
Not my first fish, but the one that infected me, corrupted me with a hopeless disease that only death will free me from (maybe)...

My first ocean trip at 8 years old. My Dad (rest his soul) took me on my first trip In 78 on a fullday trip on the Malihini (back in the day when Coronado Island trips used to leave at 3am). Didn't realize who it was at the time, but the skipper, a Hispanic man with knee hi rubber boots and a captains hat comes up to me and asks me if I would like some help. Of course I said yes. He pins on a live Mackerel on my rod and casts it out for me. I was bit within 30 secs and was on. Got dragged around the boat a couple times while getting my ass handed to me. I ended up getting it to the boat and the skipper gaffed it for me. Was a 22 lb Yellow. I was beyond happy and in that moment I was fucked for life. The skipper by the way was Manny Silva. You other old farts will remember him. He is a legend in SD history. That memory will hopefully flash before my eyes as I leave this Earth. Ive caught countless Yellows since then but that's my favorite.

Last edited:

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I don’t remember my first fishing trip, but I remember being almost obsessed over it since I was around three years old. My dad tried, but he wasn’t a fisherman. We went a few times trying, but I didn’t catch a fish until my dad’s friend took me at nine years old. He taught me how to tie knots, rig a line, line size, etc... I’ve learned a lot more since then, but those are my first memories.
Even as a little kid and not catching anything, I was still determined. Eventually I got there, just took a while.

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
3 years old. Could barely walk. My mother held my hand and walked me down to the oceans waters edge in front of our house. Paps was fishing and as we approached him he beached what seemed like a giant halibut. On a sandcrab. The halibut was probably not a giant but it seemed massive to me

Fishing was good back then. My paps isn't a fisherman but he could go catch table fare easily

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
It was during my first life.........on another planet. I was just a toddler floating in my basket while my dad and a couple of my moms were cruising the bottom surface of the mercury ocean. I was glancing at the surface of another perfect chrome purple mercury smooth day while a 3 winged skittle fish was jumping well below the surface................

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
1952.....I was five years old my Dad took me bluegill and cat fishing at a old mining town Ruby south of Tucson that had three ponds, he had bought in on a partnership for the town it was really a neat place.....we caught a bunch of fish and I have had the fever ever since.....

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
When I was 5 years old, I was vary envious of my teen-aged cousins who lived on a lake and fished all the time. I wanted my dad to take me fishing, but he wasn't interested. So I jury rigged a fishing rod and sat for hours on end in a little plastic boat in our swimming pool "fishing". I knew I wouldn't catch anything, but I had been told that patience was the key to fishing success. I figured I was developing great patience. And that has served me well in the years since, because I still spend hours on end without a bite -- but I now have hope!

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Lake Murray at 4 years old with my Grandfather.I caught my first fish ever.I vaguely remember holding it up on a stringer for a picture.I don't remember catching it.I still have the picture.

Johnlgarrison

The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
My earliest memories of fishing are of fishing with my grandfather. We were fishing the Long Beach breakwater. I caught a black sea bass that was 25 or so pounds. He said “Take a good look you will probably never catch another in your lifetime “ this was around 1968. Gramps threw it back and I yelled “What the FUCK”. My dad and grandpa both tried to not laugh at my language but were unsuccessful. I was 10. He was a rare breed even back then. He would keep a few fish for dinner that week but most fish were catch and release.

Depresfish

Apr 16, 2018
Fullerton
Name
Dylan
Boat
none
Neat thread. Like others I dont think this is my very first memory.. but probably first real noteworthy one.
I was 5 years old, in the Ocotillo wells region on a dirt biking trip. We were camped near the Coachella Canal .. about 12' across and 2' deep. But it held catfish and bass and bluegill. I was 5 y/o fishing by myself, caught a nice 8 or 9" bass. I left it on the bank and was so excited to run up to the motorhome and tell my dad. While running up the hill it flopped back in the water. But I think that's where my independent fishing spark might have started.

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore AS-16 Sub Pac6
My father taking me to the Redondo beach barge every weekend When I was 6. We would also go to Laguna Beach and dive for abalone and spear fish in the 60’s. Got my 1st Hawaiian sling at 10 and hung Out at LA county line doing beach dives while watching fishing boats from Oxnard bobbing around offshore with little success as only rock crab were happening.
E0A5BB87-066E-4BE9-BDA9-0C7093824CCC.jpeg

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
These memories are great. I also remember, as a young kid of perhaps 7 or 8, my dad and his friends remembering things that happened 5 or even 10 years earlier. (And I also remember them saying, all the time, how ridiculous prices had become, and how a quarter used to buy a great breakfast. To my mind, that made them seem ancient. Much later in life, when I was old enough to remember 10 years ago, I realized that although I was becoming like my father, I spend much more time thinking about the future than the past. Now, years later, I am still not old, but maybe 20 - 25 good years left, and I remember 20 or 25 years ago like yesterday, I make a point to spend as much time creating fresh memories as reliving past ones. More importantly, I try to create great memories for my kids and the people I work with may recall fondly, 30 years from now. Even so, every time I fill up my tanks for $7K, I can't help but remember when diesel was cheap enough that 2,000 gallons could be had for $500 or so.
Peace out.

Last edited:

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Posted a similar thread about a year or so ago lots of new members since, please share your stories and pictures .
No new member posts as of yet.

Back in the Mid 70s', My uncle Wilford, would drive down from the valley into Hollywood and take us kids and Grandpa down to fish Manhattan Beach pier.
He would fish and I would take in the surroundings. The dried bait stepped on and carpeting the planks and rails of the pier.
Birds abound.
Fisherman with nets and buckets.
First memories.

Reactions: raw66

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Good reminiscing fellas. Cool stuff

Forgot to mention. Mom walking me down to the waters edge and seeing Paps beach a halibut is my first life memory that stands out, I cant think of anything before. It was in the summer so close to age 4. Del Mar 23rd street

Last edited:
Reactions: raw66

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I think I was 4 my grandfather took me to a trout pond where you pay by the pound or something Bamboo cane pole, string and a hook with some dough bait. It was on after that

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I was 4 years old when my parents took me and my 5 year old sister fishing. It was in a lake not far from San Diego. My father parked me, my sister and my mother on the bank and left us with cane pole and worms. He walked away with his fly rod trying to catch crappie. He was just out of site when my bobber went down and my mother told me to pull. Up came a bluegill. I had it fried that night and was nice enough to give my parents and sister a bite. It's my earliest memory of anything.

RodRage

Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
These memories are great. I also remember, as a young kid of perhaps 7 or 8, my dad and his friends remembering things that happened 5 or even 10 years earlier. (And I also remember them saying, all the time, how ridiculous prices had become, and how a quarter used to buy a great breakfast. To my mind, that made them seem ancient. Much later in life, when I was old enough to remember 10 years ago, I realized that although I was becoming like my father, I spend much more time thinking about the future than the past. Now, years later, I am still not old, but maybe 20 - 25 good years left, and I remember 20 or 25 years ago like yesterday, I make a point to spend as much time creating fresh memories as reliving past ones. More importantly, I try to create great memories for my kids and the people I work with may recall fondly, 30 years from now. Even so, every time I fill up my tanks for $7K, I can't help but remember when diesel was cheap enough that 2,000 gallons could be had for $500 or so.
Peace out.
Good stuff, my son is 26 and we were sitting at the dinner table the other night talking of when he was a little boy and first started racing motocross when out of his mouth came “back in the day” We all paused looked at each other and started cracking up,I too have found I’ve turned into my father in so many ways and I see my son doing the same but really appreciating the past is something you don’t do until you’ve lived a little while. One of my greatest memories was at around four or five years old my mom took me to seal Beach River jetty and when I climbed on the rocks and looked over the other side into the river and saw people surfing it blew me away. My mom still has a picture somewhere of me that afternoon standing in our sprinklers on a piece of plywood in the surfer stance, it’s a passion that has stayed with me ever since!

Last edited:

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
I remember feeding the seal in the tank at pierpoint landing with my mom waiting for my dads boat to arrive in mid 60s.We always fished trout but the first ocean trip he took me on was out of malibu sportfishing and i threw up all day and loved every minute of it!
Miss you Dad and Mom.

Reactions: raw66 and RodRage