What’s the deal with Guadalupe…

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Name
KB
Boat
Outer Limits
With the hope of not getting judgmental or political it is very clear that some boats go to Guadalupe and others don’t. Aside from the obvious Mexican fees, is there an inside scoop? Prior to closure pretty much all the boats would go in the fall on 5-6 day trips.

We all know the boats that are now going. How about the boats that aren’t? Seems like it’s a no brainer to hit Lupe on even a 10 day trip. Thoughts?

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
It seems to me that depending on the fishing conditions in other reachable areas for that duration of trip is the determining factor.

If 200+ Lbs. bluefin are biting at Tanner bank, why would you head to Lupe for 120+ lbs yellowfin.

And the fees/permits are getting up there as well $$.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    I'd say do Guadalupe once, and check it off the bucket list. Went there in 2017 on a 5-day; the required Ensenada check-ins cost too much in time, IMHO.

That said, don't need to go again, even on a longer trip.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I think like life it’s always better to have as many options to choose from as possible. Having the Lupe as an option in you back pocket is a big plus for a boat.

It really paid off for us on a 10 day trip two years ago because the water at the rocks had rolled and we had no other options so we spent most of it at the Lupe and almost plugged the boat with YFT from 80-150lbs. Without that option we’d have had to fish the beach or gamble on the long run South

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    I love it there and even with big BFT local, there's just something about hanging a 100+lb YFT at the island. It's not for everyone, and there have definitely been moments (days, actually) that the place makes me consider selling off my gear and getting back into golf!
    As far as the permits/access, I am pretty sure that any boat going has to also submit an environmental impact assessment/evaluation for their vessel. These are an added expense on top of the permits and everything else needed to fish there. Some operations simply do not see it as a wise investment; and target other fishing destinations--and clientele that would rather go somewhere else, anyway.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I would love to see it BUT a Friend is going an 8 day I believe? $700 in fee's above the cost of the trip. No TY!

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    It seems to me that depending on the fishing conditions in other reachable areas for that duration of trip is the determining factor.

If 200+ Lbs. bluefin are biting at Tanner bank, why would you head to Lupe for 120+ lbs yellowfin.

And the fees/permits are getting up there as well $$.

Then the boat has the option of chasing big bft via the kite, balloon, or heavy night time jigs. If that is the best option. Or both local BFT and Lupe in the same trip. A angler is allowed 6 bft and 15 yft. I sure would like a giant bft and personally would like all the options available.

Out of SD. Lupe is my favorite place to fish besides the giant YFT grounds. There are one hundred pound yellowtail at Lupe and this year. The yellows are biting with 25-40lb is the average. Lupe is a great place to practice the art of fishing a live bait and pulling hard

There are allot of fishers who do not want to fish Lupe. So its great there are boats for them to book. Without voting (no) on a maybe Lupe trip or not wanting to go to Lupe and then going. Basically this is how I look at it. If someone does not want to go to Lupe. Don't book a boat with permits. If someone has thier heart set on fishing Lupe. Book a most likely Lupe trip

Would love to do a 10 day Lupe trip. If the fishing was decent+

Upvote 0

bigreddog

Get off of my lawn
    Jul 18, 2005
    On a river
    Name
    Cliff
    Boat
    Long Range
    For me Guadalupe is by far the most challenging and fun of all current long range fishing destinations.

It is true it costs extra, takes up a lot of time on a trip, and you can catch bigger BFT on the kite or the flatfall.

However, catching large YFT on Sardine fly line gear is a much more difficult and rewarding thing to do. There is no place I know of in SOCAL fishing that tests the angler, rigging, and gear as much as Guadalupe. Island YFT that are swimming with sharks and have an edge to run off of are the toughest tuna you can catch.

I am going next week, a few weeks after that, and might squeeze a late trip in if the weather holds through late fall.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I think like life it’s always better to have as many options to choose from as possible. Have the Lupe as an option in you back pocket is a big plus for a boat.

It really paid off for us on a 10 day trip two years ago because the water at the rocks had rolled and we had no other options so we spent most of it at the Lupe and almost plugged the bot with YFT from 80-150lbs. Without that option we’d have had to fish the beach or gamble on the long run South
    I love fishing there,catching yellowfin up to 150# on the anchor is definitely a challenge, especially when there only eating 40# I was on a 10 day that was the second boat to fish there after it opened and it was absolutely insane fishing, been there every year since excluding when the port in Ensenada was closed due to covid. It's a tremendous fishery, but it will humble even the best anglers at times, me personally I love fishing there! Plus there is probably nowhere on a long range fishing vessel, you have a legitimate chance at catching a 50-80# yellowtail , There is no doubt there are 100# yellowtail there, the biggest caught there is 91#, Guadalupe is a option, me personally I'd rather have that option, especially the last week in October through December, no shark issues during that time frame generally.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I love fishing there,catching yellowfin up to 150# on the anchor is definitely a challenge, especially when there only eating 40# I was on a 10 day that was the second boat to fish there after it opened and it was absolutely insane fishing, been there every year since excluding when the port in Ensenada was closed due to covid. It's a tremendous fishery, but it will humble even the best anglers at times, me personally I love fishing there! Plus there is probably nowhere on a long range fishing vessel, you have a legitimate chance at catching a 50-80# yellowtail , There is no doubt there are 100# yellowtail there, the biggest caught there is 91#, Guadalupe is a option, me personally I'd rather have that option, especially the last week in October through December, no shark issues during that time frame generally.
    100% agree with you. Hoping we make a stop there this Nov/Dec for a couple days

Upvote 0

fsh4calico

Paralabrax clathratus
    Oct 31, 2004
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Long Range, Float Tube
    With the hope of not getting judgmental or political it is very clear that some boats go to Guadalupe and others don’t. Aside from the obvious Mexican fees, is there an inside scoop? Prior to closure pretty much all the boats would go in the fall on 5-6 day trips.

We all know the boats that are now going. How about the boats that aren’t? Seems like it’s a no brainer to hit Lupe on even a 10 day trip. Thoughts?
    Not all the long range boats are SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) rated (even some of the bigger ones). That means they cannot check in at foreign ports such as Ensenada or Cabo. That's also one of the reasons not all boats offer fly-backs on 16 day trips. I know of one for sure, but there could be more. Hope this helps.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Sold to the man with $$$
    I love fishing the Lupe. Tuna Fisherman's dream. Especially after my last trip. Fantastic fishing, no shortage of opportunities. Read the reports, Ridge / Rocks is very average right now. Wahoo should be moving in but Guadalupe is some of the finest fly line live bait fishing for YFT anywhere. Like the last post I saw from the American Angler, Grab your favorite 80 lb set up, cast out a bait and hold on ! Anchor fishing in the lee side catching 100-150 lb yft, I'll take that ALL DAY LONG. Those fish are so mean and the sharks were manageable. Yes there are fees to access the biosphere. The incredible Fishing makes it well worth it.

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    I for one always enjoyed fishing at Lupe for all the reasons mentioned. The question I asked in this post was already partially answered and for sake of being politically correct I won’t dig deeper. But I will say there are times where Guadalupe would be the obvious place to fish regardless of cost.

Back in the day never figured Guadalupe, Cedros, or Clarion would close. All places I could only hope my grandkids would get to fish.

Reactions: JamesZ

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    For me Guadalupe is by far the most challenging and fun of all current long range fishing destinations.

It is true it costs extra, takes up a lot of time on a trip, and you can catch bigger BFT on the kite or the flatfall.

However, catching large YFT on Sardine fly line gear is a much more difficult and rewarding thing to do. There is no place I know of in SOCAL fishing that tests the angler, rigging, and gear as much as Guadalupe. Island YFT that are swimming with sharks and have an edge to run off of are the toughest tuna you can catch.

I am going next week, a few weeks after that, and might squeeze a late trip in if the weather holds through late fall.
    Have stellar trips. I agree with the super healthy Lupe YFT. Pound for pound imo are the strongest YFT out of SD now. Settled in and fat. Also, like a yellowtail that has a destination to rock you. They pull harder. Lupe YFT can rock you and kelp you. In anchored kelp and not floating. Had a big fish for a trip, stuck in kelp for awhile. Like a calico bass

The hooked fish can and are squirly from the gws season. If the gws get on you. They do take 1/days off to digest but much shorter then digesting a seal. Radical surprise directional changes when the fish is settled in. Shark attack. The YFT is trying not to be brought aboard or shark attack

But the strongest YFT I have ever hooked. Was off spinner dolphins, east cape. Slid a greenie and hooked a 70 pounder on a 700H TN30 stock with a short 50lb leader. Was working on the fish then all of the sudden. The fish surfaced and the line started rooster tailing like a Wahoo. The captain says (big marlin trying to eat your tuna) never saw the marlin but the 70lb YFT was zig zagging with rooster tail spray all over the surface and had super tuna power strength

Broke the dog on my reel. Knuckle buster. Got the fish just out of gaff after the marlin stoped chasing the fish. And I will never forget. The fish layed out and was exhausted. And its right eye had popped out. Either from pulling super strong to escape the marlin or the marlin bill hit the fishes eye. The crew tried to leader the fish just out of gaff and it broke off

Last edited:
    W
    woodfish330
    Brother.... 700# plus size marlin eat those all day long. Don't think a 350# YFT couldn't suck down a 70# bait? ....accidently "bridaled" by your hook. Wanna bet....lol. Thrilling to watch up close for sure.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    I organized a 12day on the star a few years back. We went down and fished for wahoo at alijos for 3.5 days, motored up and spent the last 4 days at Guadelupe pulling on 70-130lb YFT. It was a great combo of a trip.
    2 days of travel
    Fish for 3.5
    1 day of travel
    Fish for 4
    1.5 days back with check in.
    Great way, IMO, to break up a trip.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Since it went public. Fantastic Corvina fishing at check in and check out. Ensenada

Upvote 0

pkmallard

Sep 3, 2014
    Name
    P.
    Boat
    ranger
    Im glad i went to Guad once and caught a few good ones. But, i travel a ways,.and a big part of is putting meat in the freezer. I have no desire to stuff the freezer with nothing but yft.
    I have no idea what you guys do with several hundred pounds of that stuff.

Reactions: Crow
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Niche LR destination. Not for everyone

Upvote 0