What’s next.

Discussion in 'Washington Hunting' started by Alice1952, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    Still trying to figure this Montana gun thing out. Went out sharptail hunting, took my 20 side x side for the sharpies,and a 22 browning t bolt for badgers or porcupines ,got my 4 grouse no problem. No badgers or porkys but about a mile down the road a big ass black wolf ran out in front of me to far away for a shot. I can only pack so many guns. Talked to local rancher and he said that it has been bothering him for several years. A rancher friend of mine lost a 700 lb. steer the other night , we found it the next morning with both hind quarters eaten.After the first of the year it’s 1 gun time , ruger mini 14 in 300 BLK.

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Wouldn’t be my first choice. If I was set on that platform I would choose the 223 as you will have an easier time hitting beyond 100 yds as the 300 blk has a looping trajectory and drops like a rock.

Reel Hooker, Cohoho and Nosecrets like this.
  3. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    The reason I went with the 300 and not the 223 is because I didn’t want to have 223 and 204 brass get mixed up. I like the short length of the ruger,it makes it easier to stick it out of the window, I’m not a big fan of the ar platforms with the charge handle on the left side. The 300 is sighted in for 200 yards and with 110 gr. Bullets has taken 2 yotes so far this year. I’m not a pelt hunter so damage to the pelt is ok.

4. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Not sure what you mean by charging handle on the left. In stock form the charging handle on the Ar is at the rear and can be used with either hand in most cases. Also the modular design of the Ar allows it to be configured with left or right bolt charging handles, reciprocating or non. I like 300 blk for some applications but I think you are handicapping yourself on range in that open country. Of course if you are shooting out the window of a vehicle, ranges are probably not long. Do you have a handicap waiver to legally shoot out of a vehicle? Last time I checked it was not legal for the general populace.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    Yes I have a handicap permit to shoot out of a vehicle. I have owned 5 rockriver arms over the last 8 years and was never comfortable with them.(just my choice) I still use a DPMS for my prairie dog shooting. Here in Montana you can have a loaded weapon in your vehicle. I guess with the short design of the ruger and the bolt on the right side is what appealed to me. I also liked the 300 over the 223 because I used it to harvest several mule deer does last hunting season with no problems at all. I know a 223 is more than capable of doing that but shot placement is more critical on a running deer with a 75 grain slug than a 120 grain.

6. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Sounds like you got it wired Alice. Happy New Year.

7. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    Thanks Bill, since moving to Montana how much better can life get ? Granted we had to give up salmon fishing but I did that for 65 years. And I don’t know of any other place that has the game as over here. My next thing on the bucket list is waiting for the ice to get thicker and go ice fishing. My buddy says he really likes to cut a 2foot hole in the ice and hang a rubber or plastic fish down the hole and wait for a big northern pike to swim by then spear it, sounds like a blast. Happy New Year to you and yours

Odin7 likes this.
  8. Nosecrets

Nosecrets Blackmouthers good side

Name:
    Blackmouther
    Boat:
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    Consider a 6.5 grendel in an AR platform. Excellent ballistics and ammo is cheap.

9. Nosecrets

Name:
    Blackmouther
    Boat:
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    Or a mini 30 in 7.62x39

10. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    Like i have stated on earlier post not a fan of the ar platform hard for me to work the action out the window also scope gets in the way. Got a nice badger today with the 300 blk at 145 yards on a dead run.

Wild Bill likes this.
  11. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    Vacancy
    I miss montana. I have a wolf skull, but want a full rug :)

12. Nosecrets

Name:
    Blackmouther
    Boat:
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    You had time to range a badger at a dead run at 145 yards and then load and fire a 300 black out killing it. Impressive

13. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    No I got the range after shooting it.In Montana you can have your gun loaded in the vehicle.Also I have permit to shoot out of the vehicle. If you have ever seen a badger they aren’t the fastest things in the world.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  14. bullshooter

bullshooter Member

Name:
    Monty
    Boat:
    24' Seahawk OS
    They're not the smartest either, just plain fuckin mean. I tried to run one over in a hay field with a service truck, couldnt hit him but he tried to attack the tires. Had no gun.