Cole418

Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 - "Reel Busy"
    First things first I want to say THANKS to everyone on this forum. This has been my first year and attempt at learning offshore fishing (freshwater bass background) and I've learned so much from those who share here.

So as usual, I want to contribute and give a report to hopefully help some others.

We've had 3 "decent / good" trips so far... usually I've gotten 3 nice YFT tuna myself and a couple skippies kinda thing... but we always seemed to miss the "WFO" bite by just a day or two.

Wasn't even going to go yesterday since I've already gone twice this month and didn't want to push it with work etc.... but then work was annoying as shit this week so I said, WE'RE GOING!

Counts were down day before so was expecting a hit and miss kinda day.

Started off at the North 9 and seemed fishy but never found anything solid on meter and a handful of kelp paddies we found were dry... everyone was in that area and "looking" - not much / any action as of 830 in the morning.

I had some more coordinates to try (31 over 35) and wanted to work our way a bit southwest towards the 226.

I wasn't too optimistic though as I was worried water temp was a bit cooler and most previous day reports were that was good for Bluefin but that was a before sunrise kinda bite.

Anyways, we only had 5 miles to go from where we were so lets go look...

Got there and 1 mile away put trollers in and started looking - noticed two boats a mile or so west of us so we figured we'd troll in that direction. I found out later that one of the boats was Ryan on his gorgeous Blue ranger center console and the other was a Parker cuddy cabin.

As we got closer we saw someone on a fish so decided to bring the trollers in and slowly approach closer to help chum with them.

The Parker told me to jump on radio and he just said "come in close next to us"...

"10-4, sounds good"

They said they are thick and to get the bait going... we threw out some chum and pinned on a bait and within seconds we were ON.

Triple hookup!!!

The super gracious and awesome guys on the Parker were SO STOKED and high fiving each other which was so dang cool to see how STOKED we all were for each other - us SO thankful for them waving us in and them so pumped to have handed off their school to us as they already had their share for the previous hour.

We chummed our butts off to do our best to not lose the school and we had them biting for about 90 min solid.

Then we lost em...and reset the boat a bit and got our next flurry of fish.

Then after an hour or so more they turned off a bit and quit biting even though they were still boiling on our chum.

At that point we had 2 other boats with us fishing for awhile and it kinda shut down so when someone on radio asked about 226 area I gave the numbers and told em they are still around but not biting like they were but come on over and lets chum em up together.

Two more boats came and the boils continued but hooking up was harder to come by.

We headed back in for home...

Then more chaos....

12 miles direct west/southwest of Pt. Loma we came across the biggest set of 80-100 lbs Bluefin I've seen.

At one point they were foaming 180 degrees around us - I had some casts right into the foam with my Sniper but no luck... I let it sink then ripped it in, tried not sinking but no love.

Either way it was awesome to see and the perfect way to end our epic trip.

All the Yellowfin were SOLID SIZE. We weighed a handful on the scale at home and didn't weight one less than 25, biggest ones were 30.

As always, the best part for me is the mayhem when they all start biting at once and in particular, putting my dad on fish and seeing his excitement.

Here's some photos ... I tried my best to document some of the action since usually I am too busy trying to catch fish rather than take any photos
    IMG_0170.jpg
    WtM1ZXPXTGux93ORCn4PYQ.jpg
    hIA%UAKmQ0KVq%cyIoZrag.jpg

b7KAUkOPSGK77Onrm5zpGw.jpg
    UxXdKwb6RaqqikfbNLUEeQ.jpg
    IMG_0189.JPG

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    Good as it get right there!
    Thanks for the report and pics :)

Reactions: Cole418
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    First things first I want to say THANKS to everyone on this forum. This has been my first year and attempt at learning offshore fishing (freshwater bass background) and I've learned so much from those who share here.

So as usual, I want to contribute and give a report to hopefully help some others.

We've had 3 "decent / good" trips so far... usually I've gotten 3 nice YFT tuna myself and a couple skippies kinda thing... but we always seemed to miss the "WFO" bite by just a day or two.

Wasn't even going to go yesterday since I've already gone twice this month and didn't want to push it with work etc.... but then work was annoying as shit this week so I said, WE'RE GOING!

Started off at the North 9 and seemed fishy but never found anything solid on meter and a handful of kelp paddies we found were dry... everyone was in that area and "looking" - not much / any action as of 830 in the morning.

I had some more coordinates to try (31 over 35) and wanted to work our way a bit southwest towards the 226.

I wasn't too optimistic though as I was worried water temp was a bit cooler and most previous day reports were that was good for Bluefin but that was a before sunrise kinda bite.

Got there and 1 mile away put trollers in and started looking - noticed two boats a mile or so west of us so we figured we'd troll in that direction. I found out later that one of the boats was Ryan on his gorgeous Blue ranger center console and the other was a Parker cuddy cabin.

As we got closer we saw someone on a fish so decided to bring the trollers in and slowly approach closer to help chum with them.

The Parker told me to jump on radio and he just said "come in close next to us"...

"10-4, sounds good"

They said they are thick and to get the bait going... we threw out some chum and pinned on a bait and within seconds we were ON.

Triple hookup!!!

The super gracious and awesome guys on the Parker were SO STOKED and high fiving each other which was so dang cool to see how STOKED we all were for each other - us SO thankful for them waving us in and them so pumped to have handed off their school to us as they already had their share for the previous hour.

We chummed our butts off to do our best to not lose the school and we had them biting for about 90 min solid.

Then after an hour or so more they turned off a bit and quit biting even though they were still boiling on our chum.

At that point we had 2 other boats with us fishing for awhile and it kinda shut down so when someone on radio asked about 226 area I gave the numbers and told em they are still around but not biting like they were but come on over and lets chum em up together.

Two more boats came and the boils continued but hooking up was harder to come by.

Then more chaos....

12 miles direct west/southwest of Pt. Loma we came across the biggest set of 80-100 lbs Bluefin I've seen.

At one point they were foaming 180 degrees around us - I had some casts right into the foam with my Sniper but no luck... I let it sink then ripped it in, tried not sinking but no love.

All the Yellowfin were SOLID SIZE. We weighed a handful on the scale at home and didn't weight one less than 25, biggest ones were 30.

As always, the best part for me is the mayhem when they all start biting at once and in particular, putting my dad on fish and seeing his excitement.

Here's some photos ... I tried my best to document some of the action since usually I am too busy trying to catch fish rather than take any photosView attachment 1082670 View attachment 1082671 View attachment 1082672
    View attachment 1082673 View attachment 1082669 View attachment 1082674
    Bloody Deck, :gaygroup::gaygroup::gaygroup:

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    THAT is how it's supposed to be! :appl:

......relish the moments with Dad. They come too far and few between, and then, before you know it, you get old and Dad's gone. :)

Upvote 0

FishAcquisition

Pithy Statement to make me appear 😎
    Sep 19, 2005
    La Quinta
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    If that isn’t what it is all about I don’t know what is!!!!

Upvote 0

Hophead

When’s the next trip
    Jun 26, 2004
    san diego
    Name
    ryan
    Boat
    22’ Seaway
    Nice work! We got caught up in the mix of nothing at the north 9/182. Wish we would have jammed south. Did you find these fish in clean, blue water? Everything north of the border was green water.

Upvote 0

Cole418

Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    Nice work! We got caught up in the mix of nothing at the north 9/182. Wish we would have jammed south. Did you find these fish in clean, blue water? Everything north of the border was green water.

hey man! I heard you out there and tried to call you like two times but both times you didn’t answer on radio. Maybe you were underway and couldn’t hear me.

yea all open water, plenty clean/blue. school was on dolphin originally

Upvote 0

Cole418

Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    THAT is how it's supposed to be! :appl:

......relish the moments with Dad. They come too far and few between, and then, before you know it, you get old and Dad's gone. :)

totally. It’s been a blast learning and catching tuna together

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261

"10-4, sounds good"

Triple hookup!!!

Then more chaos....

Here's some photos ... I tried my best to document some of the action since usually I am too busy trying to catch fish rather than take any photosView attachment 1082670 View attachment 1082671 View attachment 1082672
    View attachment 1082673 View attachment 1082669 View attachment 1082674
    Great day off fun fishing with buddies! Thanks for the report!

Upvote 0

Hophead

When’s the next trip
    Jun 26, 2004
    san diego
    Name
    ryan
    Boat
    22’ Seaway
    hey man! I heard you out there and tried to call you like two times but both times you didn’t answer on radio. Maybe you were underway and couldn’t hear me.

yea all open water, plenty clean/blue. school was on dolphin originally
    I was monitoring channel 8 all day with a buddy of mine on another boat. 72 was stuck transmitting from someones radio so I didn’t spend much time on 72. I’ll be out there Monday.

Upvote 0