doncatfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Short version - Great quality yellowtail at Punta Colnett, we landed 90 of the toads, plus easily filled out limits with quality reds, lings, goats and assorted rockfish.

Long version - Captain Rick Podolack was at the helm of the Pacific Queen, we left Friday night with high hopes the yellowtail would be at the high spot. The run down was so smooth you could not tell you were on a boat, other than the guys snoring around you. Made it to the high spot at 8:30 am, first drift we started was in 180 feet of water and it was game on. Most folks were using yo yo irons, personally I don't think color or size made much difference, as long as you had confidence in your lure and had it in the zone when a group of yellows would swim by. I totally enjoyed the father/son double hook ups with my son who fishes in Marlin pajamas and crocs, we had a blast.

Scrambled egg, dorado, blue/white, chrome and blue, birdshit, everything seemed to work on the iron. Small and larger irons - Sales 6x, 6xJr, 7xJr, Flat fall jigs, even the dropper loops were getting ripped. We stayed on the fish for about 3 1/2 hours, putting approximately 60 on board by noon. And yes, we had a number of casualties to the rocks and tangles. We moved about 1/2 mile to try for lings and rockfish, I hardly had time to change rigging. When we dropped in 350 feet of water, it was as good as it gets. My buddies son got a nice double on the lings, I had a few of them myself on the Ahi jig, doubles on reds, huge bocaccio, boscos and starries.

While we were in the cod zone, we drifted right next to a large bull kelp paddy, about 15' x 15'. Right after it passed by, my buddy Brad drops his dropper loop down with 2 sardines for cod and a 16 oz sinker. At about 20 feet below the surface, literally 3 seconds after dropping it in, the line starts screaming off his reel. He puts it in gear and it's game on - toad yellow! Turned out to be good for JP at 26 pounds, right on the surface. That was one aggressive fish.

After 3 hours of cod fishing, we were almost at boat limits so we headed the 1/2 mile back to the high spot to try for yellows again. Same thing, they were hitting the jigs and dropper loops, we put another 30 or so on board, finishing up with 90 yellows for the boat and the 30 anglers. Water temp was 61.2 first thing in the morning, and with the calm seas and warm sun, it only got nicer as the day went on. Lot's of red crabs in the water, looks like El Nino is on it's way.

Rick and crew did a great job, Cheeseburger served up some excellent eats in the galley, I must say this was the best Colnett trip I've been on in the last 15 years, and I've done around 40 of these. It's always great fishing down there, but to have the combination of beautiful weather, great yellowtail and rockfishing, along with talented anglers on board it all came together.

jp_.JPG

Ling double_.JPG

Paul hooked up_.JPG

Paul's yellow_.JPG

My ling_.JPG

Andrews yellow_.JPG

double yellow_.JPG

Paul's goat__01.JPG

Brad Photo Bomb_.JPG

reds_.JPG

grouper_.JPG

My yellow_.JPG

box_.JPG

moon rise_.JPG

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Short version - Great quality yellowtail at Punta Colnett, we landed 90 of the toads, plus easily filled out limits with quality reds, lings, goats and assorted rockfish.

Long version - Captain Rick Podolack was at the helm of the Pacific Queen, we left Friday night with high hopes the yellowtail would be at the high spot. The run down was so smooth you could not tell you were on a boat, other than the guys snoring around you. Made it to the high spot at 8:30 am, first drift we started was in 180 feet of water and it was game on. Most folks were using yo yo irons, personally I don't think color or size made much difference, as long as you had confidence in your lure and had it in the zone when a group of yellows would swim by. I totally enjoyed the father/son double hook ups with my son who fishes in Marlin pajamas and crocs, we had a blast.

Scrambled egg, dorado, blue/white, chrome and blue, birdshit, everything seemed to work on the iron. Small and larger irons - Sales 6x, 6xJr, 7xJr, Flat fall jigs, even the dropper loops were getting ripped. We stayed on the fish for about 3 1/2 hours, putting approximately 60 on board by noon. And yes, we had a number of casualties to the rocks and tangles. We moved about 1/2 mile to try for lings and rockfish, I hardly had time to change rigging. When we dropped in 350 feet of water, it was as good as it gets. My buddies son got a nice double on the lings, I had a few of them myself on the Ahi jig, doubles on reds, huge bocaccio, boscos and starries.

While we were in the cod zone, we drifted right next to a large bull kelp paddy, about 15' x 15'. Right after it passed by, my buddy Brad drops his dropper loop down with 2 sardines for cod and a 16 oz sinker. At about 20 feet below the surface, literally 3 seconds after dropping it in, the line starts screaming off his reel. He puts it in gear and it's game on - toad yellow! Turned out to be good for JP at 26 pounds, right on the surface. That was one aggressive fish.

After 3 hours of cod fishing, we were almost at boat limits so we headed the 1/2 mile back to the high spot to try for yellows again. Same thing, they were hitting the jigs and dropper loops, we put another 30 or so on board, finishing up with 90 yellows for the boat and the 30 anglers. Water temp was 61.2 first thing in the morning, and with the calm seas and warm sun, it only got nicer as the day went on. Lot's of red crabs in the water, looks like El Nino is on it's way.

Rick and crew did a great job, Cheeseburger served up some excellent eats in the galley, I must say this was the best Colnett trip I've been on in the last 15 years, and I've done around 40 of these. It's always great fishing down there, but to have the combination of beautiful weather, great yellowtail and rockfishing, along with talented anglers on board it all came together.

View attachment 563730

View attachment 563731

View attachment 563732

View attachment 563733

View attachment 563734

View attachment 563735

View attachment 563736

View attachment 563737

View attachment 563738

View attachment 563739

View attachment 563740

View attachment 563741

View attachment 563742

View attachment 563743
SWEET

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Soooooo sweet!!!! Looks so fun!!! It makes me so sad out around the cherry banks and all the great deep water rock spots we may never fish again!!! Glad we have Mex !!!! Viva La Mexico!!! At least to float by!!

PATYMELTER1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 31, 2014
PLEASANTON, CA.
Name
PATRICK
Boat
SECOND CHANCE
Great report Don! I recognize that rod you're holding, an old friend indeed. Can't wait to fish with you again!

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3

View attachment 563730

View attachment 563731

View attachment 563732

View attachment 563733

View attachment 563734

View attachment 563735

View attachment 563736

View attachment 563737

View attachment 563738

View attachment 563739

View attachment 563740

View attachment 563741

View attachment 563742

View attachment 563743
Very nice ,what worked best for the lings

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Great report and nice fish Don, everyone! Glad you had a fun trip!
Rick's a good fish hunter, we go back many years, fun to fish with! LOL

P

Paddyman1

Green with envy! Nice report and congrats on a great trip. Gotta love the PJ's!

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Very nice ,what worked best for the lings

Regarding the lings, I got my first two on the orange Ahi jig in the photo, I think it's 12 oz. I got two more on a piece of a small slabbed rockfish, with the tail section intact. My son and my buddies son each got a couple on sardines, and another on a white PDQ jig.

PlugSlinger7x

When In Doubt...Yo-Yo
Jan 9, 2009
Del Mar,Ca.
Name
Mike Saldivar
Boat
CHAIR 9 & 14 MAMMOTH MTN...Pacific Voyager

View attachment 563730

View attachment 563731

View attachment 563732

View attachment 563733

View attachment 563734

View attachment 563735

View attachment 563736

View attachment 563737

View attachment 563738

View attachment 563739

View attachment 563740

View attachment 563741

View attachment 563742

View attachment 563743
wood

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
Great report and excellent job!

Not fair on the jackpot though, but I guess dumb luck is better than no luck...:p

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Nice lings, and reds.

Congrats

primo55

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 8, 2010
South Gate/CA
Name
isaac
Boat
n/a
Nailed it!
I was also on the P.Queen for this trip,and it was an EPIC one..great Capt & Crew!!
The guy in the pajamas was hooked up all day.
Great report!

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
So RAD!!!