wxdunn

Oct 11, 2009
Mobile, AL
www.thefishingweatherman.com
Name
Chris
Boat
none
Plenty of pics out there... Yeah, the YFT are mostly footballs, but it's DECEMBER!

100_0126.JPG

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
pretty comical that know one wants to talk about the size of that tuna out on the bank. Radio show, landings, boat operators or fishing web sites. Very little to nothing. Pretty fucking pathetic and misleading

Cheers. Stickandstay
what is misleading? They just say the fishing is great and they got limits, which is incredible for december. I have not heard anyone claim they are 50 lbers. Your post is pretty pathetic and comical.

Upvote 0

catchabigone

Fair is fair. Donate Life. Be an organ donor
Dec 14, 2006
shelter cove
Name
dave
Boat
2008 Trophy 2152, Seafoam
We may be wondering where the 30 to 50 pounders are next year, or maybe we already are. I have read a lot of reports of wide open ten pounders. Couple hundred per boat per day we might put a dent in a school or two. Loading the big boats with limits every day adds up I would think.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
The ones we got just behind the West End of San Clemente coming back for the Tanner were much larger than footballs.

Reactions: slydawg
Upvote 0

crappiekiller

crappiekiller
Jul 12, 2009
bonita ca.
Name
bob
Boat
charlene
I've heard from a biologist on the royal polaris several years back, that yellofin only live around 4 years. If that is true and these fish have been around since July, shouldn't they be at least 40 or 50lbs. At a minium they've been up here for 5 months anyone have the answer?

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Who the hell cares, they all taste the same. Frankly these hot 12-40lb Yellowfin
    and Bluefin on 20-40lb line are some of the wildest fun fishing you'll ever have.
    Bring it on all day long. Do you really think I give a damn what size the fish was
    or on bait or the troll in April when I'm still pulling tuna out of the freezer? LOL LOL
    Go get some, If you havn't all season, have fun, enjoy good eats=bottom line!

Reactions: mandoman68
    Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    There are different grades on these yellowfin. The larger fish are mostly under dolphin (15 to 30 pounds), the smaller fish mixed in with skipjack (8 to 12 pounds).

The funny thing is that the larger fish are much closer than everyone thinks. They are moving around fast, but over the last 3 weeks there have been fish caught just a few miles off both ends of San Clemente Island (both front and back side), and as close as the 289, 371, the "corner" etc. There was even a school a few miles off the Farnsworth bank. Look for the dolphin that are jumping, twisting, and turning.

The bluefin tuna right on the highspot are nice grade. 20 to 40 pounders. They would only eat 20 pound fluro for us. Small hooks.

Believe if or not, there are also yellows in the 12 to 20 pound range under kelp paddies between the banks and Clemente.

Some advice: Bring a heavy bass rod or spinning gear to have fun if you get into the smaller fish.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

oniedab

Fishing is there anything else?
    Jul 17, 2009
    visalia/ca/Tulare
    Name
    mike hagans
    Boat
    28ft Grady White Sailfish
    Wow, I am just amazed at some comments on post. Can a guy just post he caught fish and had a heck of a time without getting ridiculed over something. This is a fish report site? Congrats on first catching fish anytime of the year and second being a few miles from some of the worlds greatest fishery. I live 200 miles from the nearest ocean and would love to be able to just go fishing in a heartbeat! Merry Xmas!!!!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Wow, I am just amazed at some comments on post. Can a guy just post he caught fish and had a heck of a time without getting ridiculed over something. This is a fish report site? Congrats on first catching fish anytime of the year and second being a few miles from some of the worlds greatest fishery. I live 200 miles from the nearest ocean and would love to be able to just go fishing in a heartbeat! Merry Xmas!!!!
    I will take 10 to 30 LB fish all day any time then wait for one bite of A 100 plus pounder

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
    Pinedale WY USA
    Name
    Dave Harper
    Boat
    17 Crestliner
    I've heard from a biologist on the royal polaris several years back, that yellofin only live around 4 years. If that is true and these fish have been around since July, shouldn't they be at least 40 or 50lbs. At a minium they've been up here for 5 months anyone have the answer?

YFT can and do live longer than 4 years, up to at least 7 (3 YO fish average 75 lbs, 4 YO fish average 130 pounds, with lots of variability). That said most don't live that long.....

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
    May 16, 2008
    murrieta/ca/usa
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    21' Proline "MarLinz"

Usually the nit-pickers are the people that never make a report, they probably don't even fish! In some sick and twisted way they can only feel better about themselves by bringing others down. I think there should be a rule, no negative comments unless you've posted a report in the last 2 months. What a life, they don't fish and all they do is feel negative about other people that do enjoy life.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft

If the original post was a report I might agree with you, but since it was not.....

Upvote 0

rsees

Sep 15, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Boatless in Santee
    Like Chris said"footballs" but its December. Just got back from a 1 1/2 Sun AM fishing on the Tribute at The Cortes . Had a great time and got 7 YFT and 2 dozen skipjack. Pulled on fish from Sun up to Sun down. I dont post much here anymore because there is more whining about someones report or whatever.

Upvote 0